Durham protestations
fountainpen
2009-03-09 09:33:01 UTC
I have found a reference to one of my ancestors with in this book;

Durham protestations; or, The returns made to the House of Commons in
1641/2 for the maintenance of the Protestant religion for the county
palatine of Durham, for the borough of Berwick-upon-Tweed and the
parish of Morpeth

http://www.archive.org/stream/durhamprotestati00durhrich
He appears in Jarrow "Laurence brewas".

Im not exactly sure what it is about , why would he be listed and for
what reason?
Any help appreciated with him or with the surname Brewas .
t***@gmail.com
2009-03-10 15:29:09 UTC
Post by fountainpen
I have found a reference to one of my ancestors with in this book;
Durham protestations; or, The returns made to the House of Commons in
1641/2 for the maintenance of the Protestant religion for the county
palatine of Durham, for the borough of Berwick-upon-Tweed and the
parish of Morpeth
http://www.archive.org/stream/durhamprotestati00durhrich
He appears in Jarrow  "Laurence brewas".
Im not exactly sure what it is about , why would he be listed and for
what reason?
See the Wikipedia page for "The Protestation".

taf
Nathaniel Taylor
2009-03-10 16:59:31 UTC
In article
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by fountainpen
I have found a reference to one of my ancestors with in this book;
Durham protestations; or, The returns made to the House of Commons in
1641/2 for the maintenance of the Protestant religion for the county
palatine of Durham, for the borough of Berwick-upon-Tweed and the
parish of Morpeth
http://www.archive.org/stream/durhamprotestati00durhrich
He appears in Jarrow  "Laurence brewas".
Im not exactly sure what it is about , why would he be listed and for
what reason?
See the Wikipedia page for "The Protestation".
The 1641-2 protestation returns are interesting documents, visually --
lots of sheets of paper crabbed with signatures. The original returns
are held by the parliamentary archives, see

http://www.portcullis.parliament.uk/

There are microfilms, ostensibly a complete set of what survives, at the
FHL. But only about 1/3 of all English parishes have surviving returns,
with some counties (e.g. Leicestershire) missing altogether. Many have
been published in county-level transcriptions, like the Durham volume
cited here.

It would be nice to have a unified transcription and image-linked
database of these, to search for particular folks & to use as a tool for
name frequencies etc. -- though only male forenames of course.

Nat Taylor
a genealogist's sketchbook:
http://www.nltaylor.net/sketchbook/