Pronunciation Question: Eure and Gascoigne
Brad Verity
2007-06-01 01:16:27 UTC
I remember that the name Beauchamp is pronounced 'bee-chum' and
'Bourchier' is pronounced 'bow-sher', but I cannot recall how to
pronounce the following two Northern England names:

1) Gascoigne - is it 'gas-coin' or 'gas-kwon'?

2) Eure - is it 'ewer' or 'your' or 'yur', or (even more confusingly)
'ever'?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, -------Brad
Merilyn Pedrick
2007-06-01 01:28:44 UTC
1. Gas-coin.

2. Ewer or yur.

(In my humble opinion).

By the way Brad, thankyou for your beautifully written biographies of late.
None are my ancestors so far, but I'm really enjoying reading them.

Best wishes

Merilyn

1 Andrewartha Place

Aldgate, South Australia, 5154

61 8 8339 3974

0437 448 593

Skype - Alpacamerm

Brad Verity
2007-06-01 05:48:47 UTC
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
1. Gas-coin.
2. Ewer or yur.
(In my humble opinion).
Thanks, Merilyn!
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
By the way Brad, thankyou for your beautifully written biographies of late.
None are my ancestors so far, but I'm really enjoying reading them.
I'm glad you're enjoying them. I'm having a good time putting them
together. I hope to have one up in a day or so on the Bigods of
Settrington. It'll be a more detailed one since they married into
Joan Beaufort's line pretty early - in 1433, while she was still
living.

Cheers, -------Brad
Denis Beauregard
2007-06-01 02:14:28 UTC
Le Thu, 31 May 2007 18:16:27 -0700, Brad Verity
Post by Brad Verity
I remember that the name Beauchamp is pronounced 'bee-chum' and
'Bourchier' is pronounced 'bow-sher', but I cannot recall how to
In which language ? If it is French, then you are facing the problem
of sounds not existing in English.

(an) and (eu) are in French only, other are sounds in English

bo-ch-(an)
b-oo-r-sh-ee-ay

Gascoigne - are you talking about the province ? Then it is
Gascogne.

Gascoigne - G-a-s-k-oh-ah-ng
Gascogne - G-a-s-k-o-ng

Eure - (eu)-r

(an) is like Ann without the n sound
(eu) is close to ou in hour, without the o at the beginning
Post by Brad Verity
1) Gascoigne - is it 'gas-coin' or 'gas-kwon'?
2) Eure - is it 'ewer' or 'your' or 'yur', or (even more confusingly)
'ever'?
Denis
--
0 Denis Beauregard -
/\/ Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - www.francogene.com/genealogie--quebec/
oo oo Now on CD-ROM, beginnings to 1765
Brad Verity
2007-06-01 05:59:22 UTC
On May 31, 7:14 pm, Denis Beauregard <denis.b-at-
Post by Denis Beauregard
In which language ? If it is French, then you are facing the problem
of sounds not existing in English.
(an) and (eu) are in French only, other are sounds in English
bo-ch-(an)
b-oo-r-sh-ee-ay
Gascoigne - are you talking about the province ? Then it is
Gascogne.
Gascoigne - G-a-s-k-oh-ah-ng
Gascogne - G-a-s-k-o-ng
Eure - (eu)-r
(an) is like Ann without the n sound
(eu) is close to ou in hour, without the o at the beginning
Thanks, Denis. I was talking about English pronunciation, even though
all four names above derived from (Norman?) French. It's interesting
that the modern spelling of these names retain elements from their
French roots ('our' and 'ier' in Bourchier, and 'oign' in Gascoigne),
yet any element of French pronunciation has long since left them.
'Bee-cham' not 'bo-cham', for example.

I've been pronouncing the name Eure as 'yur', but I've seen it spelled
Ever or Evers in some records, which made me wonder if I've been
pronouncing it incorrectly.

Cheers, ------Brad
Larsy
2007-06-01 13:47:48 UTC
I've always pronounced "Eure" as "yur-ee," but I might be wrong. It
has happened ...
M***@gmail.com
2007-06-01 15:37:39 UTC
Post by Larsy
I've always pronounced "Eure" as "yur-ee," but I might be wrong. It
has happened ...
Hello everyone

My mom is Marian Viola Eure from NE North Carolina, and my dad was
John Rensell Bracy. We pronounced "Eure" as "yur". Sometimes more like
"yu-er". Not exactly two syllables but with the "yu" sort of sliding
into the "er" with equal weight. However, the dialect of that area
when I was growing up 50 some years back was a mixed of Scotch Irish
and heavily Southern so beware. Interestingly, I've found medieval
marriages of the Eures and Bracys (then the De Braoses), which seemed
to have both originated in the Normandy area of France.

Gail Bracy
Larsy
2007-06-01 16:22:31 UTC
Post by Larsy
I've always pronounced "Eure" as "yur-ee," but I might be wrong. It
has happened ...
I think this was a guess based on the fact that the English pronounce
"buffet" as "buffee," and "debris" as "debree." Also, look at

http://books.google.com/books?id=plkJAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA11-PA1635&dq=ewrey+ewre
Larsy
2007-06-01 16:29:13 UTC
http://books.google.com/books?id=wxjRGEp6VWMC&q=eurey+eure&dq=eurey+eure&pgis=1
Larsy
2007-06-01 16:43:58 UTC
http://books.google.com/books?id=wxjRGEp6VWMC&q=%22ralph+ewrey&dq=%22ralph+ewrey&pgis=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=mg8hAAAAMAAJ&q=%22ralph+ewrie&dq=%22ralph+ewrie&pgis=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=CwArAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA439&dq=%22ralph+ewrie
Larsy
2007-06-01 16:46:49 UTC
"Sr William Ewry, als Ivers, ..."

http://books.google.com/books?id=1uAdAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA413&dq=%22william+ewry
Larsy
2007-06-01 16:47:37 UTC
http://books.google.com/books?id=UN7NsYltgJYC&q=%22william+ewry&dq=%22william+ewry&pgis=1
Larsy
2007-06-01 18:09:05 UTC
http://books.google.com/books?id=UN7NsYltgJYC&q=%22william+ewry&dq=%22william+ewry&pgis=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=HE8JAAAAIAAJ&q=%22william+ewrie&dq=%22william+ewrie&pgis=1

http://books.google.com/books?id=H-AiAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA210&dq=%22william+ewrie
Douglas Richardson
2007-06-01 23:09:23 UTC
Here is a reference to "Ralph Ever knight, Lord Eure" [sic] which is
found in the book, Modern Reports; Or, Select Cases Adjudged in the
Courts of King's Bench, Chancery, Common Pleas, and Exchequer, by
Thomas Leach published in 1794:

http://books.google.com/books?id=43gDAAAAQAAJ&pg=PT305&dq=%22Ralph+Ever+knight%22

Douglas Richardson
2007-06-01 16:32:16 UTC
On Jun 1, 7:47 am, Larsy <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
< I've always pronounced "Eure" as "yur-ee," but I might be wrong. It
< has happened ...

Dear John ~

The surname Eure allegedly comes from the Clavering family's ancient
land holding at Iver, Buckinghamshire. As modern times approached,
the surname was spelled in records as Ever or Evers.

As for the surname, Bourchier/Bourgchier, it was pronounced and
sometimes spelled Bowser.

DR
Larsy
2007-06-01 18:34:58 UTC
Post by Douglas Richardson
Dear John ~
The surname Eure allegedly comes from the Clavering family's ancient
land holding at Iver, Buckinghamshire. As modern times approached,
the surname was spelled in records as Ever or Evers.
As for the surname, Bourchier/Bourgchier, it was pronounced and
sometimes spelled Bowser.
DR
Yes, all true. But tell us about the third book in your series,
Doug. Is it continental lines or English baronial descents?

Are you writing an article on Margaret (Estoutville) Shepard?
Larsy
2007-06-01 19:15:23 UTC
Post by Larsy
Yes, all true. But tell us about the third book in your series,
Doug. Is it continental lines or English baronial descents?
Are you writing an article on Margaret (Estoutville) Shepard?
Also ... what about Jane (Greene) Poole? That should probably see the
"light of print" someplace ...
Alan Grey
2007-06-04 20:20:57 UTC
Post by Brad Verity
I've been pronouncing the name Eure as 'yur', but I've seen it spelled
Ever or Evers in some records, which made me wonder if I've been
pronouncing it incorrectly.
In a great many original documents that I've real, "u" and "v" tend to
be used interchangeably until fairly recently, and it was certainly the
case in medieval times (or should I say "medieual" times). One of the
most common examples is the word "unto", which was usually written "vnto".

Thus, I imagine that when the name in question is transcribed, it could
be recorded as "Euer" or "Ever", depending on the original document and
on the transcriber's interpretation (e.g., a modern transcriber could
read "Euer" and interpret it "Ever" on the basis that "u" was often
substituted for "v"). That is not to say that the two names were "ever"
pronounced any differently. [Note that the "'-re" vs. "-er" ending
makes little difference to pronunciation (i.e., Eure vs. Euer), as
witnessed by the word "center", which is spelled "centre" in modern
(English) English.]

Regards

Alan R Grey