Robert de Haye nepos to Eudo Dapifer
Robert Goff
2024-05-02 11:18:47 UTC
I recently saw a discussion on this list in 2016 that indicated Robert
de Haye may have been nepos to Eudo Dapifer son of Hubert de Rie, not
Eudo au Capel son of Richard/Turstin Haldub. The discussion indicated
that in his Documents Preserved in France, John Horace Round may have
mistranslated notice number 923 to make Robert de Haye nepos to Eudo au
Capel.
https://archive.org/details/cu31924028043663/page/328/mode/2up?q=1126

I found a printed copy of the full 1126 charter in Galli Christiana,
tome 11, Instruments, p. 234 (p. 632 in my viewer). However, unless I am
missing it, this version appears to lack the reference to Robert de Haye
as nepos to either Eudo.
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Gallia_christiana_in_provincias_ecclesia/P22VqNVUj7sC?hl=en&gbpv=0

Does anyone know where I can find a printed copy of the 1126 charter
possibly mistranslated by Round, with the reference to Robert de Haye as
nepos to Eudo?

I recognize that the 1105 charter identifies Robert de Haye as nepos to
Eudo Dapifer. Round, Documents in France, notice 921. However, it is the
1126 charter that allegedly identifies this Eudo Dapifer as Eudo son of
Richard/Turstin Haldub.
Peter Stewart
2024-05-02 11:52:15 UTC
Post by Robert Goff
[...]
The 1126 charter of Henry I is printed here, no. 177 for Lessay abbey
https://archive.org/details/regestaregumangl02grea/page/353/mode/1up.

Peter Stewart
www.avg.com
Robert Goff
Thank you!
Robert Goff
2024-05-04 15:39:56 UTC
Post by Peter Stewart
Post by Robert Goff
[...]
Thank you, Peter.

Likely descendants of Robert de Haye’s son Ralph succeeded to Layer de
Haye, Essex held by Eudo Dapifer. See Colchester Cartulary, p. 189-195;
Round, Honors and Knights Fees, vol. 3, p. 192-194.

I am working on a theory that Hubert de Sancto Claro was brother or
half-brother to Robert de Haye. Hubert’s successors, Hamo and William de
Sancto Claro received a part of Eudo Dapifer’s land in England.
In 1066-1087, King William attested the gift by Radulph son of William
of tithes and land at Saint Clair to the Abbey of Cerisy.
https://archive.org/details/b30455832_0007/page/1074/mode/2up
Radulph’s successor at St. Clair was Hubert de Sancto Claro, a Domesday
Book tenant of Robert of Mortain in Somerset, Dorset, and at Charleston
in Sussex (his surname is provided in the Somerset geld roll). He
witnessed a charter of William of Mortain confirming gifts of his
tenants to Lewes including that made by Herbert son of Ranulph (who can
be identified as Hubert de Sancto Claro).
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x001431467&view=1up&seq=99 .
The identification is supported by Domesday People, p. 257 (“possibly
the same person”).
Herbert/Hubert de Sancto Claro was the son of Ranulph, the Count of
Mortain’s Domesday Book tenant at Little Horsted as the gift of Herbert
son of Ranulph was of the Domesday Book fee at Langney, held by Ranulph
of Little Horsted.
William de Mortain confirmed to Lewes the gift of Maplet by his
vicecomes Rannulf.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x001431467&view=1up&seq=143&q1=maplet
. The identification of Ralph of Little Horsted with Rannulf the
vicecomes is supported by Domesday People, p. 353 (“probably the same
person”). Rannulf could have held the same position as “vicecomes meus”
of William’s father, Robert de Mortain. I’m not sure of the difference,
if any, between the seneschal and the vicecomes at that time.