Engelbert (1462-1506), Count of Nevers 1491-1506
W***@aol.com
2004-04-26 06:50:56 UTC
My ancestor Lambert Hotman was a Silesian burgher who was supposed to have
"...come to France with Engelbert, (later Count of Nevers)"

I am wondering if anyone knows why Engelbert would have come to France?
Thanks
Will Johnson
Leo van de Pas
2004-04-26 07:13:21 UTC
His mother was a member of the House of Burgundy and daughter of an earlier
Count of Nevers, and his wife was a Bourbon. He was a younger son and
perhaps they made him heir of their grandfather to keep the Counties of
Cleves and Nevers separate. He was born in 1462 and married in 1489. Do you
know in which year he went to France, accompanied by your ancestor?

Hope this helps a little.
Best wishes
Leo van de Pas

Will Johnson
W***@aol.com
2004-04-26 17:07:19 UTC
In a message dated 4/26/2004 12:14:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Post by Leo van de Pas
His mother was a member of the House of Burgundy and daughter of an earlier
Count of Nevers, and his wife was a Bourbon. He was a younger son and
perhaps they made him heir of their grandfather to keep the Counties of
Cleves and Nevers separate. He was born in 1462 and married in 1489. Do you
know in which year he went to France, accompanied by your ancestor?
Thanks for your reply. From the limited research I've done it seems his
father was John Duke of Cleves, whose father was Adolphus duke of cleves. And his
mother was Elizabeth, heiress of Nevers, daughter of John Count of Nevers.

So Cleves came from the paternal line while Nevers came from the maternal
line.
Now as to their disposition, he had an older brother who became John II Duke
of Cleves 1481-1521 upon the death of their father. And the mother's father
who died in 1491 evidently Nevers devolved upon the younger brother Englebert,
the subject of this email.

Nevers then continued to *his* son Charles while Cleves continued to his
brother's son John.

Then this John III was the father of the Anne of Cleves who married Henry
VIII as his fourth (?) wife.

To your question, I do not know exactly when Engelbert was supposed to have
come to France, in fact I can't really find anything that says he stayed in
France, so maybe the note means his armies came to France and then returned to
Nevers. I'm going to have to go back and review the sources to see if there's
a mistake somewhere.

I only found a few references to Engelbert on the internet and maybe there is
a better published source on him?

Thanks
Will