Fun with Names
Johnny Brananas
2021-06-18 18:41:43 UTC
The gentry family name of Croke was sometimes rendered "Crooke" with mildly funny results.

The Oxford diarist Thomas Hearne wrote in 1726 of one member of the Croke family whom he called "Gracious Crooke."

On Wednesday last died, in St Peter's Parish in the East, Oxford, one Madam Best, wife of one Best, formerly an Excise man, who is still living, tho' many Years older than his Wife, who was about three score. Her maiden Name was Gracious Crooke, & she made a great noise formerly in Oxford before she married, when she lived in St. Aldate's Parish, where she kept ... Monkeys, & Dogs, and was reported to lye with them. She was carryed out of Town yesterday, in order to be buried at Kensington, her husband not mourning, to whom, it seems, she hath left nothing, but, I am told, she hath bequeath'd most to one Leybourne of Brasen Nose Coll.

Because of the Oxford connection, I assume she was "Gratious," daughter of Unton Croke, junior, shown here:

http://www.headington.org.uk/history/marston_history/famous_people/croke_unton.htm

Note that her paternal grandmother, the wife of Unton Croke/ Crooke, senior, was "Anne Hore, daughter and heir of Richard Hore of Marston."

So Anne Hore became Anne Cro[o]ke upon marriage, and her granddaughter Gracious Cro[o]ke became Gracious Best upon marriage (also known as Madam Best).
Johnny Brananas
2021-06-18 21:28:05 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
[...]
Gracious Best was the daughter of an earlier Gracious Crooke:

GRACIOUS CROOKE, wife to Unton Crooke, esq., of ye Inner Temple, buried in ye vault [Temple Church], June 8, 1691.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89097249791&view=1up&seq=43&q1=crooke
Johnny Brananas
2021-06-21 16:22:50 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
Post by Johnny Brananas
[...]
The other grandmother of Gracious was a Leach ... (well, someone called Grace Leach).

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.28256833&view=1up&seq=183&q1=crooke
Johnny Brananas
2021-06-21 17:55:57 UTC
It looks like Gratious/ Gracious Best could have the following line of descent:

Sir Robert Turberville of Bere Regis = Margaret, sister of Sir Nicholas Carew
William Turberville of Bere Regis = (1) Joan Toner alias Turner
Richard Turberville of Bere Regis = (2) Joan Bonham
John Turberville of Bere Regis = Isabel Cheverell
George Turberville of Bere Regis = Awdrey Mathewe of London
Nicholas Turberville of Crediton, Devon, will dated 1604 = [? Charity Prideaux]
Catherine Turberville (second wife), dead by 1637 = Sir Simon Leach of Cadleigh, Devon (d. 1638) Sheriff of Devon
Nicholas Leach of Newton St. Petrock (will dated 1643/ proved 1646) = Grace Mallock, daughter of Roger Mallock, bapt. Feb. 1616/17, married March 1634/35
Gracious Leach, plaintiff of 1689 = Unton Croke/ Crooke
Gracious Croke/ Crooke = Mr. Best

https://archive.org/details/visitationofdors00harvuoft/page/42/mode/2up

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Turberville-109

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Parochial_and_Family_History_of_the/w4MgAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22of+crediton%22+lynam+monachorum&pg=PA225&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitations_of_the_County_of_Devon/GmqlIibS95IC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22john+cowling+rector%22+cadleigh&pg=PA528&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitations_of_the_County_of_Devon/GmqlIibS95IC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=roger+leach+mallock+both+named+in+her+fathers&pg=PA549&printsec=frontcover

Unsure if it's correct that Nicholas of Crediton was from the Bere Regis family of Turberville (so the early generations may be wrong).
Johnny Brananas
The marriage of Capt. Unton Crooke and Gratiana Leach occurred 3 July 1655 at Barnstaple.
Will Johnson
2021-06-24 05:40:55 UTC
I have their marriage 3 Jul 1655 St Peter's, Exeter, co Devon (Batch M05245-1 wj)
Will Johnson
2021-06-24 05:48:19 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Johnny Brananas
The marriage of Capt. Unton Crooke and Gratiana Leach occurred 3 July 1655 at Barnstaple.
I have their marriage 3 Jul 1655 St Peter's, Exeter, co Devon (Batch M05245-1 wj)
Unton and Grace are mixed up in some business with Humphrey Walrond
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5339947

I had known that Humphrey next-wife was named "Grace" but hadn't a surname
I wonder if she may not be the mother of Gracious Leach Croke ?
Will Johnson
2021-06-24 05:50:10 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Johnny Brananas
The marriage of Capt. Unton Crooke and Gratiana Leach occurred 3 July 1655 at Barnstaple.
I have their marriage 3 Jul 1655 St Peter's, Exeter, co Devon (Batch M05245-1 wj)
Unton and Grace are mixed up in some business with Humphrey Walrond
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5339947
I had known that Humphrey next-wife was named "Grace" but hadn't a surname
I wonder if she may not be the mother of Gracious Leach Croke ?
Famous enough to be written up in this lawsuit

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_English_Reports/TpRDAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Grace%20Mallock%2C%20daughter%20of%20Roger%20Mallock&pg=PA679&printsec=frontcover&bsq=Grace%20Mallock%2C%20daughter%20of%20Roger%20Mallock
Will Johnson
2021-06-24 06:12:28 UTC
I am tempted by this

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitations_of_the_County_of_Devon/GmqlIibS95IC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=grace%20mallock%20nicholas%20leach&pg=PA528&printsec=frontcover&bsq=grace%20mallock%20nicholas%20leach

to say that *when* ( or if) the widow Grace (Mallock) Leach married Humphrey Walrond elder, the ink was already written to have her daughter by her prior marriage, marry his son by *his* prior marriage, also named Humphrey

It would be nice to find a more definitive statement that this is what occurred
Johnny Brananas
2021-06-24 14:10:41 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
I am tempted by this
https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitations_of_the_County_of_Devon/GmqlIibS95IC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=grace%20mallock%20nicholas%20leach&pg=PA528&printsec=frontcover&bsq=grace%20mallock%20nicholas%20leach
to say that *when* ( or if) the widow Grace (Mallock) Leach married Humphrey Walrond elder, the ink was already written to have her daughter by her prior marriage, marry his son by *his* prior marriage, also named Humphrey
It would be nice to find a more definitive statement that this is what occurred
Can you provide the specific page (I get three different pages of the Visitation of Devon when I click the above)?

At some point, Gratious/Gracious/Gratiana Croke was the only living child of Grace (Mallock) Leach, and she (Gratious Croke) died 1691, survived by Unton Croke, so she could not be the daughter being arranged for.
Johnny Brananas
Oh, the Leach pedigree shows that Charity, 4th dau. of Nicholas and Grace, bapt. 1639, married Sept. 1660 to Humphrey Walrond. This would be a sister of Gratious Crooke. Another daughter survived to married Gilbert Burrington, and there were at least two brothers living at their father's death, yet all except Gractious died between the date of the will of Roger Mallock and the date of the will of their aunt Anne (Mallock) Crewe.
Will Johnson
2021-06-24 23:41:45 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
Post by Will Johnson
[...]
Yes this is the marriage to which I alluded.
Since Humphrey Walrond *the father of this one* is known to have had a wife named Grace later in life, second or later wife, I wonder if this wife might not be the *mother* of the Gratious you've been researching. I mean her prior husband was dead, his prior wife was dead, they could have married then arranged for their respective seperate children to *also* marry.....

Possible? Probable?
I'm going to see if I can't find these other children from the Vis Devon and see if they had any dealings with Walrond Senior as well