Wladislaw II, King of Poland 1386 and his wives
W***@aol.com
2005-09-02 22:14:59 UTC
***@netspeed.com.au writes:

<< My cooking is all in the sources :-) I try to record where information
came
from and sometimes those sources may well be wrong. My main source is ES II
Tafel 126 and here five wives are given. Sofia of Kiev made a very short
appearance, married in 1420 and in 1422 he marries Zofia Holszanska. Was it
only an engagment? Did Sofia of Kiev die almost immediately?
Leo >>

Leo, "Heraldry" shows this
1) Hedwig 1373/4 - 1399, Queen of Poland 1384 married 1386
so he became King of Polane, jure uxoris
2) Anne of Cilly 1380? - 1416 married in 1406
apparently his first wife "before her death, advised him to marry one of her
cousins Anne of Cilly"
3) Elizabeth d 1420 dau of Otto of Pilcza mar 1417
4) Sophia b 1405 ? - 1461 d of Andrew, Prince of Holszany

They make no mention of this other wife you are showing.

By the way for those of you who can't get enough of the Poland
intermarriages. Here is the way in which Anne of Cilly and Hedwig, Queen of Poland are
related exactly.

Hedwig dau of Louis I, King of Poland 1370
Louis I, son of Elizabeth d 1382
Elizabeth, dau of Wladislaw IV, K of Poland 1320

Wladislaw IV, K of Poland 1320 father of Casimir III, K of Poland 1333
Casimir III, father of Anne who mar William, Count of Cilly in 1380
Anne of Cilly d 1416

So Elizabeth and Anne were second cousins.
Source: "Heraldry of the Royal Families of Europe", Jiri Louda and Michael
MacLagain; Clarkson Potter Pub, New York 1981

Will Johnson
Leo van de Pas
2005-09-02 22:22:50 UTC
Dear Will,

It is what ES gives us. On a second inspection, I think I will remove Sofie
of Kiev as she is also missing in Rafal Prinke's superb book "Krolewska
Krew" page 113. I wonder why haven't we heard from Rafal Prinke for so long?
Leo