" Calendar of the Close Rolls Preserved in the Public Record"- H.C. Maxwe...
W***@aol.com
2006-07-14 23:07:46 UTC
In a message dated 7/14/06 3:55:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
***@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< John DESEVILL >>

My first impression would be "de Seville"

Will Johnson
mep33
2006-07-15 01:44:15 UTC
Post by W***@aol.com
In a message dated 7/14/06 3:55:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
<< John DESEVILL >>
My first impression would be "de Seville"
Will Johnson
Hi Will,
My premise is based on threads of information from 2 sources.
1st -Burke's Extinct & Dormant Baronetcies [ on DIXWELL] which reads:
This family originally of Dixwell Hall & lords of the manor of Dixwell
co., Hertford; possesed the estate until the begining of the reign of
King Richard when they exchanged it with John of Durham for the
manor of Great Munden.
2nd- History of the County of Hertford vol 3.British History on line:
Munden Furnival seems to have bem held by John & Agnes DURHAM who
conveyed it in 1389 to Margaret, dau. of Cecily & Guy de BOYS, & her
husband Robert DYKESWELL.[ I think the surname here is also DIXWELL]
3rd - Calendar of Close Rolls 12 April 1336 - John DESEVILL and the 2
parts of the manor of Great Munden & the advowson of 2 parts of the
church & of the priory of Ronnheye[ Rowney]

Slim threads but a possibility that DESEVILL in this case is DIXWELL.
The timeline seems appropriate.
Hope to learn more if I can locate the inquistion of the escheator or
other orders in the Calendar Rolls under 10 Edawrd III.
Patricia Junkin
2006-07-15 17:45:49 UTC
It seems from your other evidence, the name may very well be Dixwell or
variant. It would help to know who held the other third part and I can offer
that Boys is also Bosco and Bois.
One note for Herts.
E 40/5416
Grant by Robert de Becco, rector of the church of Wethmull, to Richard the
prior, and the convent of Holy Trinity, London, in frank almoin, of the land
described in E40/5415. Witnesses:- Sir John de Marines, Richard de Bosco,
and others (named): [Herts]

Pat

----------
Subject: Re: " Calendar of the Close Rolls Preserved in the Public Record"-
H.C. Maxwe...
m***@sbcglobal.net
2006-07-15 21:35:21 UTC
Thank you so much for your response.
It appears I have been " in the right church, wrong pew" After
reviewing all my notes and rereading the collected records it now
appears that DESEVILL is a corruption of De OSEVILL, and the De
OSEVILLS were owners of the manor of Munden Furnival as well as Great
Munden at one time. Margaret de BOYS was the daughter of Guy de BOYS &
Cecily De OSEVILL.
The following from the "history of the County of Hertfordshire" vol
3.,& also British HX on line shows:
"In 1285 Gerard de Furnivall had created a further sub-tenancy by
conveying the manor to John de Kirkeby, Bishop of Ely, for the yearly
rent of a pair of gilt spurs or 6d. (fn. 18) John died in 1290, and was
succeeded by his brother William de Kirkeby, (fn. 19) who lived until
1302. At this time a third of the manor was in the hands of Mathania,
the second wife of John de Cobham, (fn. 20) but the remainder passed on
the division of William's inheritance between his sisters to Margaret,
wife of Walter de Osevill, (fn. 21) with the reversion of Mathania's
third and the third held in dower by Christine de Kirkeby, William's
widow. (fn. 22) In 1304 Walter and Margaret de Osevill settled Munden
Furnivall upon their sons John and Henry and the heirs of Henry. (fn.
23) Henry de Osevill died before 1334, (fn. 24) when his widow Alice
held one third and his brother John, who survived him until 1335, held
the other two thirds. (fn. 25) Eventually the whole came to John son of
Henry de Osevill. Cecily his daughter and heiress married Guy de Boys,
(fn. 26) who was holding the manor in right of his wife in 1350. (fn.
27) He died before 1370, in which year Cecily was holding it alone.
(fn. 28) After her death Munden Furnivall seems to have been held by
John and Agnes Durham, (fn. 29) who conveyed it in 1389 to Margaret,
daughter of Cecily and Guy de Boys, and her husband Robert Dykeswell.
(fn. 30) Margaret married secondly Henry Hayward, (fn. 31) and thirdly,
before 1419, Walter Pejon or Pegeon. (fn. 32) She was succeeded by
Thomas Hayward or Howard, her son by her second husband. (fn. 33)
Thomas died shortly before 1447, when the manor of Great Munden was
conveyed by trustees to Sir John Fray, chief baron of the Exchequer.
(fn. 34) He also made himself secure against the claims of various
heirs of Thomas Howard. (fn. 35) In 1460, however, he was obliged to
sue Simon Rode and Joan his wife for illegal entry by force into the
manor. Joan claimed that she was the heir of Mabel Grimbaud, one of the
sisters of Walter de Osevill, upon whom the manor had been entailed
failing the heirs of Henry de Osevill. (fn. 36) The claim was not
successful, for Sir John Fray died seised of Great Munden in the
following year. (fn. 37)

Marge