Prather : looking for info
Aashika
2024-02-13 20:25:30 UTC
I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around Wiltshire
England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.
hi!
This is a reach, but I am looking the the book Praters in wiltshire 1480-1670. Do you know where I can buy it from?
Aashika
2024-02-13 20:26:57 UTC
Wednesday, 16 May, 2001
Hello 'Draco',
As a fellow Prather (Prater) descendant, I can steer you first to the
secondary sources you would want to consult, before moving on to what primary
source I am acquainted with.
First, I would recommend Praters in Wiltshire, 1480-1670 by John
William Prather, Jr. (1987). He has extended the ancestry of Thomas Prater,
the emigrant (b. 1604) 4 generations, and has also included some helpful
details about the wives of the Praters of Latton, co. Wilts and of West
Kingston, co. Wilts.
Following that, finding what record you can in the Visitation of
Wiltshire (I think the 1565 Visitation is in the Harleian series) would be a
good 'next' step.
As you may be aware, the relationship of Thomas Prater, the emigrant and
Jonathan Prather, who migrated to Maryland and is the ancestor of all the
Praters/Prathers I know of (including my own line), is taken as probable be
not proven.
Let me know of any information you may be searching for (I have the
information from Prather's book). Also if you would post any 'finds' you
should document to this list, it would be greatly appreciated by myself and
the other Prather descendants in the group.
Good luck, and good hunting.
John
Hi John!
I would love to purchase the book. Would you be selling it or know of anyone who is?
Thanks!
taf
2024-02-13 23:29:50 UTC
Post by Aashika
I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around Wiltshire
England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.
hi!
This is a reach, but I am looking the the book Praters in wiltshire 1480-1670. Do you know where I can buy it from?
I doubt you can buy it at this point - it is almost 40 years old, out of
print, and my guess would be it had a very small print run to begin
with. Checking 'the usual suspects' returned no available copies. That
means you are left with waiting for a pre-owned copy to reenter the
market, which amounts to periodically doing a Google search and hoping
you get lucky, or posting to Prather message boards hoping to find an
owner willing to part with their copy for the right price.

taf
Jan Wolfe
2024-02-14 19:12:27 UTC
Post by taf
Post by Aashika
I'm doing some research on the family name Prather also Prater around Wiltshire
England, in 1604 I can use anything since im kinda stuck.
hi!
This is a reach, but I am looking the the book Praters in wiltshire
1480-1670. Do you know where I can buy it from?
I doubt you can buy it at this point - it is almost 40 years old, out of
print, and my guess would be it had a very small print run to begin
with. Checking 'the usual suspects' returned no available copies. That
means you are left with waiting for a pre-owned copy to reenter the
market, which amounts to periodically doing a Google search and hoping
you get lucky, or posting to Prather message boards hoping to find an
owner willing to part with their copy for the right price.
taf
World Cat indicates that more than 40 libraries have copies of at least
one of the two volumes of this book. Perhaps you can borrow it via
interlibrary loan.