Juliana Brett
m***@internode.on.net
2012-09-01 23:31:01 UTC
In February 2002 there was a discussion here about Juliana Brett, the wife
of Robert III de Beauachamp of Hatch Beauchamp, Somerset.

Douglas Richardson mentioned that his research indicated that she was not a
Brett at all, but rather the "daughter and co-heiress of Pain de Dourton, of
Dourton, co.

Buckingham. This discovery will be covered by the forthcoming book,Baronial
Ancestry, due out in about a year."

Could someone please enlighten me as to who this lady was please?

Best wishes

Merilyn Pedrick

Aldgate, South Ausstralia
Douglas Richardson
2012-09-02 16:53:21 UTC
Dear Merilyn ~

Thank you for your good post. You've asked an excellent question.

Surviving records of the Beauchamp family of Hatch Beauchamp, Somerset indicate that Robert de Beauchamp of Hatch Beauchamp (died 1263) and his maternal aunt, Sibyl de Bermingham, were in default in 1255 in respect of the manor of Dorton, Buckinghamshire; they absented themselves from suit of court for three years [see Hund. R. (Rec. Com.), i, 26].

As such, it appears that Robert de Beauchamp's mother, Juliane, and her sister, Sibyl de Bermingham (ancestress of the later Lords Ferrers of Chartley) were co-heirs of the manor of Dorton, Buckinghamshire. Indeed a moiety share of this manor descended in each of these families. Robert and his aunt, Sibyl, also each inherited a half share of the manor of Maidencourt (in East Garston), Berkshire [see Lysons, Magna Britannia 1 (1806): 283].

There is a very sketchy history of the history of Dorton, Buckinghamshire published in VCH Buckingham 4 (1927): 45-48. The following information is given in that source:

"No certain record of the sub-tenancy of Dorton before the 13th century survives, though possibly the knight's fee which Pain de Dorton held of Walter Giffard in 1166 was in this parish. (fn. 15) By 1255 the manor had been divided into two parts. (fn. 16) One of these, then owned by Sibyl de Birmingham." END OF QUOTE.

That Pain de Dorton held lands at Dorton, Buckinghamshire is established by Kennett, Parochial Antiq. Attempted in the Hist. of Ambrosden, Burcester & other adjacent Parts 2 (1818): 457. This source includes a charter of Pain de Dorton and Rose his wife, and William their son and heir, who granted Nutley Abbey the chapel of Dorton, Buckinghamshire and one yard land there. Mr. Kennett dates this charter as being about 1188, which seems reasonable to me.

Proceedings of Somerset Arch. & Nat. Hist. Soc. 36(2) (1891): 20–59 gives the following additional information regarding Pain de Dorton:

"In the former county they held the manor of Dourton, which suggests a probable connection with the Bauchamps Barons of Bedford, as in the reign of Henry II, Dourton was in the possession of Payan de Dourton, and Roesia, his wife, who
may have been Payan, son of Hugh Beauchamp (the founder of the family, according to Dugdale'"'), and Roesia, his wife, daughter of Aubrey de Vere. There is a difficulty, however, in establishing their identity, as the son and heir of Payan de Dourton is called William ; whereas the name of the eldest
son of Payan Beauchamp was Simon. In Berks the Beauchamps held the manor of Maidencote, and in a fine levied 32nd Henry III, between John, Prior of Sandelford [in Berkshire], plaintiff, and Robert Beauchamp the younger,
defendant, the said Robert granted to the Prior and his successors two quarters of corn yearly from his manor of Maidencote, with a proviso for increasing it, if at any time the lands which Sibilla his aunt (" amita"), held in the ville
of Maidencote as her portion of the inheritance of Alice de Coleville her mother, should devolve on the said Robert or his heirs." END OF QUOTE.

As we can see above, there is a Berkshire fine dated 1247-8 in which Robert de Beauchamp's aunt [amita], Sibyl, is specifically named. And Sibyl in turn is there identified as the daughter of Alice de Coleville.

Thus it would appear that Robert de Beauchamp's maternal grandmother was a certain Alice de Coleville. It is easy to assume that Coleville was Alice's married name. However, it is just as possible that Coleville was this lady's maiden name.

VCH Berkshire 4 (1924): 246-251 includes a history of the subtenancy of the manor of Maidencourt (in East Garston), Berkshire. The following information is given there:

"The tenant in demesne in the time of Henry II was Osbert de la Herloteria, who was dead before 1190. The next tenant was Alice de Colville, who made a grant of 6 quarters of wheat here to the priory of Sandleford for the souls of John le Marshal and his son William Earl of Pembroke. (fn. 70) She evidently had two daughters and co-heirs, of whom one, Sibyl, married a Birmingham and the other married Robert Beauchamp of Hatch, Somerset. (fn. 71) Robert Beauchamp, nephew of Sibyl, and William de Birmingham held Maidencourt in the middle of the 13th century." END OF QUOTE.

Once again we meet with Alice de Coleville (or Colville), who is said to have made a grant to the "priory of Sandleford" "for the souls of John le Marshal and his son William Earl of Pembroke." Surely Sandford Priory is intended and those charters are now in print.

Elsewhere Haskins Society Journal, volume 10 (2002) contains an interesting article by Richard Dace entitled "Lesser Barons and Greater Knights: The Middling Group within the English Nobility c.1086-c.1265." This article may be viewed at the following weblink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=y_x4xbPOvGAC&pg=PA65

On page 65 the following information is given:

"The marriage of William of Birmingham III with Sibyl de Coleville in the early thirteenth century can also be seen in terms of forging a new relationship outside the honorial structure. Sibyl was the daughter and co-heiress of Alice de Coleville, who was the mistress of William Marshal's brother John. It does not seem unreasonable to suggest that this was an attempt by the Birmingham family toi become part of the Earl Marshal's affinity; the 'penunmbra of men, whom it would be difficult to call followers because they did not follow him on any regular basis.'" [Footnote citation: William Marshal 81 n. 33 and Book of Fees, 842 and 881.]. END OF QUOTE.

So there you have it. Alice de Coleville was the mistress of John Marshal, King's Marshal (died 1194), elder brother of the famous William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.

Was John Marshal the father of Alice de Colville's daughters, Juliane and Sibyl. On this point, I can't immediately answer. I do know that Alice was the mother of John Marshal's illegitimate son, Sir John Marshal, Knt., Marshal of Ireland (died 1235).

Is there any connection between Alice de Colville and Pain de Dorton? Again I can't answer that question but my guess is not. Presumably the Marshal family settled the manors of Dorton and Maidencourt on Alice de Colville, and they in turn passed by inheritance to her daughter, Sibyl de Bermingham, and grandson, Robert de Beauchamp. If Alice only had illegitimate issue, however, technically they could not inherit from her. However, if a settlement of Alice's lands was made on her daughters at the time of their marriage, I assume the king would have honored that settlement.

I've leave it to you Merilyn to track down the other references given above, including William Marshal 81 n. 33 and Leys, Sandford Cartulary 1 (Oxfordshire Rec. Soc. 19) (1938) and 2 (Oxfordshire Rec. Soc. 22) (1941). I assume the William Marshal reference is the book written by David Crouch.

Aldgate, South Ausstralia
m***@internode.on.net
2012-09-02 23:36:46 UTC
Dear Douglas

Thanks so much for your very comprehensive reply. It's given me much food
for thought and rich avenues of discovery to pursue. I shall have fun
digging further.

Derek Howard
2012-09-03 22:31:53 UTC
Post by Douglas Richardson
[...]
<snip>.....
Post by Douglas Richardson
I've leave it to you Merilyn to track down the other references given above,
including William Marshal 81 n. 33 and Leys, Sandford Cartulary 1
(Oxfordshire Rec. Soc. 19) (1938) and 2 (Oxfordshire Rec. Soc. 22) (1941).
I assume the William Marshal reference is the book written by David Crouch.
I cannot speak for the first edition in 1990 but there is no note 33 on p 81 of my copy of the second edition of Crouch and note 33 on p 84 relates to other matters. However, after discussing in detail the identity of the bastard John Marshal, Crouch does discuss Alice de Coleville on p 90, fn 40:
".... Lastly in his old age John Marshal, the nephew of William, made grants to the Norfolk priory of Walshingham not just for his father, John, but also his mother, _Alice_. The fact that he commemorated his mother by name must mean that she was no casual prostitute, but a woman of good birth. This brings us to the identity of that Alice. In the early thirteenth century, Alice de Colleville made a grant at Maidencourt, Berks, to Poughley priory, Berks, for the souls of the brothers John Marshal and William Marshal Earl of Pembroke (putting John first). In this ious grant for the dead lover and his brother, her son’s patron, we may have the evidence we need to pinpoint John Marshal’s mother, see Cartulary of Walsingham, British Library, ms Cotton E vii, fo. 95v; Westminster Abbey Muniments no 7242. There are two known contemporary women called Alice de Colleville. One was an early-thirteenth century Suffolk widow, alias Alice de Frostenden (who had married a Robert de Colleville), see _Blythborough Priory Cartulary_, ed C Harper-Bill (2 vols, Suffolk Record Society II, III, 1980-1) II, pp 151-2. The other, and more likely candidate, was a wife to a Sussex landowner, William de Colleville, around 1200 (John Marshal was Sussex landowner and sheriff of Sussex from 1190 to 1194), see _Curia Regis Rolls_ I, p 200; III, p 193".
David Crouch : "William Marshal, knighthood, war and chivalry 1147-1219", 2nd ed 2002, 89-90.

Derek Howard
Douglas Richardson
2012-09-05 15:18:06 UTC
Dear Derek ~

Thank you for your post. Much appreciated.

David Crouch is correct that John Marshal, King's Marshal, died 1194 [elder brother of William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke] had a mistress, Alice, by whom he had an illegitimate son, John Marshal, Knt. Crouch cites as his source for this statement a charter found in Cartulary of Walsingham, British Library, ms Cotton E vii, fo. 95v. But this information can also be found in Complete Peerage, 8 (1932): 535, footnote b. Complete Peerage cites the same charter of the younger John Marshal to Walsingham Priory, in which he specifically mentions John and Alice, his father and mother.

In 1204, the younger John Marshal, as "nephew [nepos] of William Marshal, earl of Pembroke,” was granted the manors of Cantley and Caistor-on-Sea, Norfolk, late of Hugh de Gournay, traitor; and all the land late of Hugh de Agee in Norfolk, to hold to him and his heirs by the service of two fees.

Crouch supposes that the elder John Marshal's mistress, Alice, is the Alice de Coleville who made a grant at Maidencourt (in East Garston), Berkshire to Poughley Priory, Berkshire, for the souls of the brothers John Marshal and William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke (putting John first). Elsewhere VCH Berkshire 4 (1924): 246-251 mentions yet another grant of the same Alice de Coleville, who gave six quarters of wheat in Maidencourt, Berkshire to the Priory of Sandleford "for the souls of John le Marshal and his son William Earl of Pembroke." VCH Berkshire is wrong in identifying this John Marshal as the father of William, Earl of Pembroke. The two men were brothers as correctly stated by Crouch.

Besides having one illegitimate son, John Marshal, Knt., Alice de Coleville almost certainly had daughter, Alice (or Amice), who married Sir William de Brien (or Brian, Brion), of Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire. This is proven by a record dated 1225–6 whereby the younger John Marshal, Knt., presented to the church of Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire, in virtue of his charge of the vill of Hoggeston, which he had by reason an exchange made with William de Brien, Knt. who had married his sister [see Phillimore, Rotuli Hugonis de Welles, Episcopi Lincolniensis 1209–1235 2 (Lincoln Rec. Soc. 6) (1913): 69]. In 1235 Alice de Brien held Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire [see Cal. Patent Rolls, 1232–1247 (1906): 130]. She still held Hoggeston as late as 1242-3 [see Book of Fees 2 (1923): 884]. VCH Buckingham 3 (1925): 369–372 includes an account of the history of Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire. Before 1250 the manor of Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire passed to William de Bermingham [see Cal. Charter Rolls 1 (1903): 350]. William de Bermingham's mother, Sibyl, was in fact the daughter of the same Alice de Coleville, of Maidencourt mentioned above. The conveyance of Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire to the Bermingham family thus links the families of Coleville, Marshall, Brien, and Bermingham.

As for Alice de Coleville, we know that she held two manors, evidently in her own right, namely Dorton, Buckinghamshire and Maidencourt (in East Garston), Berkshire. Both of these manors were Marshal fees and there is every reason to suppose that Alice de Coleville had them by direct grant of the Marshal family. Alice de Coleville is not mentioned in any records that I have seen as having a husband.

As for the subsequent history of Alice de Coleville, we can be certain that she died before 1220, when her lands at Maidencourt, Berkshire were in the hands of her two sons-in-law, Robert de Beauchamp and William de Bermingham [see Book of Fees 1 (1920): 297]. In 1248 there was a lawsuit concerning Maidencourt, Berkshire in which Alice de Coleville's "heirs" were then stated to be her daughter, Sibyl de Bermingham, and her grandson, Robert de Beauchamp [the younger] [see Clanchy, Roll & Writ of the Berkshire Eyre of 1248 (Selden Soc. 90) (1973): 38]. Due to the language, it is tempting to think that Alice's heirs in 1248 were her lawful heirs born of a legitimate marriage. However, as we will see below, there are reasons to suppose that Alice de Coleville's two daughters, [?Juliane], wife of Robert de Beauchamp, and Sibyl de Bermingham were in fact by her liaison with John Marshal.

There is an interesting article on the Beauchamp family in Genealogist, n.s. 33 (1917): 151-154. Without knowing that Alice de Coleville had been the mistress of John Marshal, the author, W.F. Carter, deduced that Alice de Coleville's two daughters, [?Juliane] and Sibyl, were Marshal sisters, and that they each had "inherited or received as portion half of Maidencote, and half of Dorton."

Mr. Carter made this deduction after realizing that both of Alice de Coleville's manors were Marshal fees. He added that a Marshal parentage for Alice de Coleville's daughters "is especially probable in the case of the Birminghams, whose Arms - Azure, a bend lozengy Or, are almost identical with the ancient Marshal coat - Gules, a bend lozengy Or."

Unfortunately Mr. Carter was unable to figure out who Alice de Coleville was. Towards the end of his article, he asks plaintively "But who was Alice de Colville?"

Mr. Carter was not aware of the charters of Alice de Coleville which tied her to the Marshal family. Nor did he know that John Marshal, brother of Earl William Marshal, had a mistress named Alice. Nor was he aware that the manor of Hoggeston, Buckinghamshire had passed from the Brien family to the Bermingham family.

Now that all these various pieces have fallen into place, it seems obvious that Alice de Coleville is the same person as Alice, the mistress of John Marshal, King's Marshal [died 1194] as suggested by David Crouch.

P.S. In an earlier post this week, I assumed that Sandleford Priory was the same religious house as Sandford Priory. Actually they are (or were) two separate entities. My apologies if I confused anyone.
Derek Howard
Douglas Richardson
2012-09-05 17:39:37 UTC
Dear Newsgroup ~

In a previous post, I suggested that Alice de Coleville, mistress of John Marshal, King's Marshal [died 1194] might possibly be the same woman as Alice, wife of Sir William de Coleville, who leased property in Garsington, Oxfordshire in 1224 to the Hospital of St. John outside the East Gate of Oxford [see VCH Oxford 5 (1957): 134-156].

However, I've since determined that Alice de Coleville, mistress of John Marshal, was dead in or before 1220, when her lands at Maidencourt (in East Garston), Berkshire were in the hands of her two sons-in-law, Robert de Beauchamp, of Hatch Beauchamp, Somerset, and William de Bermingham.

As such, Alice, wife of Sir William de Coleville, can be ruled out as a possible candidate to be Alice de Coleville, mistress of John Marshal.

Douglas Richardson
2012-09-03 06:45:55 UTC
Dear Merilyn ~

There is a lawsuit published in Clanchy, Roll & Writ of the Berkshire Eyre of 1248 (Selden Soc. 90) (1973): 38, which concerns Alice de Coleville (or Colville) and her family. See the following weblink for the snippet view of this lawsuit:

http://books.google.com/books?ei=mtlDUNDzOoSUjAKHqoHgCQ&id=Nn0hAQAAIAAJ&dq=%27Alicia+de+Colevill%22&q=Colevill#search_anchor

According to the lawsuit, Alice de Colevill was the "grandmother” [avia] of Robert de Beauchamp and mother of Sibyl de Birmingham. It is also stated that Robert and Sibyl were the "heirs" of the said Alice.

In this respect, the term "heirs" may be a bit misleading. If lawful heirs are intended, then Robert's mother and Sibyl were the legitimate issue of a lawful marriage of Alice de Colevill.

However, if Alice de Colevil's children were illegitimate, they would normally be barred from inheriting from her. However, if a settlement of some sort was made prior to Alice's death, then her illegitimate children could be considered her heirs by settlement.

Also I might note that if a settlement was made to make Robert and Sibyl the heirs of Alice de Coleville, that doesn't preclude Alice from having another male heir who inherited other property from Alice. Again if that male heir was illegitimate, the same rules would apply.

Insofar as the identity of Alice de Coleville is concerned, I find there is another contemporary Alice de Coleville who might be the same person as Robert de Beauchamp's grandmother.

Larking, Knights Hospitallers in England (Camden Soc. 65) (1857): 241 indicates that the Knights Templar in England held a hide of land in Garsington, Oxfordshire by the gift of King Henry III, which land he previously purchased from a certain Alice de Colevill.

This record is available at the following weblink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XQYOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA241

VCH Oxford 5 (1957): 134-156 includes additional information about this Alice de Coleville, which material I have copied below.

"By about 1170, Holy Trinity Priory at Wallingford, (fn. 178) which had become a tenant of the Chausey fee for this hide, granted it to Adam son of Siward, or the Rich, reserving to itself a rent of 20s. (fn. 179) After Adam's daughter Alice, wife of Sir William de Coleville, had inherited, she and her husband leased it in 1224 to the Hospital of St. John outside the East Gate of Oxford. (fn. 180) In about 1230 the widowed Alice sold it to King Henry III, who wished to found a chapel in the chapel of St. Mary in the hospital. (fn. 181)" END OF QUOTE.

As we can see above, VCH Oxford indicates that this Alice de Coleville was the wife of Sir William de Coleville and the daughter of Adam Fitz Siward, or the Rich. At present, however, I know of no evidence which connects Alice, wife of Sir William de Coleville, to Alice de Coleville, who was grandmother of Robert de Beauchamp. There may or may not be a connection between the two women.