CP Addition - wife of Henry de Montfort (dead in the spring of 1199)
Bevan Shortridge
2005-06-17 04:58:50 UTC
Hello all,

I have emailed this to Chris Phillips already, but thought it might be of
interest to others.

The notice for Henry de Montfort (d. in the spring of 1199) under Montfort
in CP Vol. 9, pp. 121-122 does not name his wife.

The only mention she receives is that "his widow was summoned to Westminster
to answer whether certain lands in dispute was her marriage portion or not"
(p. 122).

I looked at the Montfort pedigree in Dugdale's Antiquities of Warwickshire,
2nd edition (1730), vol. 2, p. 799.

The pedigree is not so good for the earlier generations - in an attempt to
reconcile the Montfort-sur-Risles and Montforts of Beaudesert it becomes

The pedigree there names this Henry's wife as "Emma filia Petri Corbuceonis"

This identification is supported by Keats-Rohan's Domesday Descendants.

It has the following entry on page 250:

Corbucion, Petrus

Son of Peter fitz William Corbucion, alias Peter of Studley, Warwickshire.
In 1166 he held fees of the earl of Warwick and of earl Giffard. He left a
son William by his wife Margaret, and a daughter Emma, wife of Henry fitz
Turstin de Montfort. See Hist. Coll. Staffs. iii, 202.
(this main entry is followed by a separate smaller font reference list as
with other DD entries).

Hist. Coll. Staffs. is the abbreviation for William Salt Archaeological
Society, Collections for a History of Staffordshire.

As I said, I thought this might be of interest.

Regards,
Bevan Shortridge,
Auckland, New Zealand
t***@aol.com
2005-06-17 14:04:03 UTC
Dear Bevan,

Another very helpful find. This adds to the ancestry of the
Montforts of Beaudesert, and their widespread progeny: the Lords
Montagu, the Montagu - and Neville - Earls of Salisbury, and a good
many besides.

Many thanks!

John *

* John P. Ravilious
j***@aol.com
2005-06-20 10:50:15 UTC
I am looking for the descendants of Simon de Montfort and Eleanor.,
daughter on King John. I know three of their sons died without issue,
and daughter Eleanor married Llewllen ap Griffith, Prince of Wales and
had one daughter who died a nun. And her brother Amaury was a
priest...what about the remaining brother Guy??

John
Peter Stewart
2005-06-20 11:10:09 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
I am looking for the descendants of Simon de Montfort and Eleanor.,
daughter on King John. I know three of their sons died without issue,
and daughter Eleanor married Llewllen ap Griffith, Prince of Wales and
had one daughter who died a nun. And her brother Amaury was a
priest...what about the remaining brother Guy??
Guy became count of Nola and died as a prisoner in Sicily ca 1291. He
married (as her first husband) Margherita, signora of Grosseto, countess of
Soana & Pittigliano, later wife of Orsello Orsini, daughter of Ildebrando il
Rosso Aldobrandeschi, signore of Grosseto, count of Soana & Tommasia di
Baschi.

They had two daughters: Anastasia, countess of Nola, dame of Chailly &
Longjumeau, who married in 1293 Raimondo (aka Romano) Orsini, senator of
Rome (died 1326), with whom she has descendants to the present day; and
Tommasia who married Pietro Vico, prefect of Rome - I don't know if she had
any children.

Peter Stewart
Leo van de Pas
2005-06-20 11:53:07 UTC
If you go to http://www.genealogics.org you can find many descendants in
detail all the way to the present.

As Elizabeth Widville, wife of King Edward IV is a descendant at least 20
Gateway Ancestors to America are descendants.

And so is Tony Hoskins, John Steele Gordon, Ian Fettes, Brice Clagett, Tim
Powys-Lybbe and Peter de Loriol.

And so are President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as well as his wife Eleanor
Roosevelt, Sarah Ferguson, Camilla Parker-Bowles, actor Hugh Grant and many
others.
Best wishes
Leo van de Pas