gateway descents from Kings of Vandals, via Kings of Burgundy, via Volsungs of Allemania, Cambresis, & Denmark
david hughes
2004-06-17 20:59:16 UTC
gateway descents from Kings of Vandals, via Kings of Burgundy, via
Volsungs of Allemania, Cambresis, & Denmark
A. Vandals

01. Anavas, King of Vandals (250)
02. Igillus, King of Vandals (275)
03. Anthyrius, King of Vandals (300)
04. Wisimar, King of Vandals (333)
05. Vitislaus, King of Vandals (350)
06. Villicinus, King of Vandals (375)
issue:
a. Radagaisus, King of Vandals (d405), fought Romans, father of
Corisco
b. Godigisclus (d406) (below)
c. Mogogiskilus (Miecislaus), invaded Gaul 406
07.Godigisclus, Vandal-King, killed in battle 406
issue:
a. Guntheric, led Vandals to Spain, founded the Vandal kingdom of
Andalusia (407) (d427)
b. Gaiseric (below)
08. Gaiseric, Vandal-King 427-477, conquered the Roman province of
North Africa & founded Vandal kingdom (429), invaded Italy and sacked
Rome (455) (d477)
=1 a Hunnish princess; =2 a Berber princess; =3 an Ostro-Gothic
princess
issue of 1:
a. Huneric (below)
issue of 2:
b. Gento [twin] (below), see note
c. Grepa [twin]
issue of 3:
d. Theodoric "The Elder", a military-officer in the service of his
uncle [mother's brother] Theodoric "The Ostro-Goth"
note: descent-line of Huneric (above)
09. Huneric, Vandal-King 477-484
=1 Eudoxia, a Roman princess; =2 [name], a Visi-Gothic princess, dau
of King Teodorico I of Spain
issue of 1:
a. Hilderic (below)
issue of 2:
b. [name], father of (a) Hoamer "The Vandal Achilles" & (b) Evagus
(Euagees)
10. Hilderic, Vandal-King 523-530 deposed, d533
issue:
a. Gormund, Byzantine Governor of North Africa 534-543, father of
Hilde, wife of Valdar "The Dane"
b. Hilde, wife of Frode VII, King of Denmark
note: descent-line of Gento (above), son of Vandal-King Gaiseric
09. Gento (above) begot of 1st wife [unknown] (a) Godagis, (b)
Gundamund, Vandal-King 486-496; & (c) Gelaris (below); &, begot of 2nd
wife [a Scythian princess] (d) Trasamund, Vandal-King 496-523
10. Gelaris, prince
issue:
a. Gelimer (below)
b. Ammata
c. Tzazo
d. Gundmer
e. Geberic, father of Gibamund, father of Solomon, royal Vandal
claimant 539-540
11. Gelimer, Vandal-King 530-534, identified with Eylimi in medieval
saga, deposed by Byzantines (534) who conquered the Vandal kingdom
=1 [name]; =2 Placidia, a Byzantine princess
issue of 1:
a. Gripr
b. Hjordis (dau), 5th wife of Sigismund, King of Burgundians (below)
***
issue of 2:
c. others

B. Burgundians

01. Gibico (Gjuki) (Gibeche) (Gibicca), King of Burgundians, from whom
the Gibichung Dynasty derives its name
02. Gundomar, King of Burgundians
03. Gislahar[ius] (Gislhere) (Gislaire), King of Burgundians (d413)
04. Gundicar (Gundahar) (Gunther) (Gonthaire) (Gonthaires), King of
Burgundians 413-436
= Belizde [Hrothildis], co-heiress & dau of King Faramond, 1st King of
France
05. Caratene (daughter), heiress
= Gunderic (Gundeuch) (Gondioch), King of Burgundians 436-473, son of
King Chlodio (Chlodovecus), King of Franks [his 1st wife] [his 2nd
wife was sister of Ricimer, master-of-troops]
issue of 1st wife:
a. Chilperic (Hilperic), identified with Hjalprek in medieval saga,
King of Burgundians 473-486, the father of Clotilda (St), 3rd wife of
Clovis The Great, King of Franks
issue of 2nd wife:
b. Godomar [I], co-king (d486)
c. Godegisele, co-king (d501), mur by bro
d. Gundobad (Gondebaud) (Gundobadus), co-king (d516) (below)
06.Gundobad (Gondebaud) (Gundobadus), co-king (d516) (above)
issue:
a. Sigismund (below)
b. Godomar [II] (below)
c. Guntheuc (dau)
=1 Clodomir of France (d524); =2 Clothaire I of France
note: offspring of Sigismund, King of Burgundians (above)
07. Sigismund, King of Burgundians 516-523 deposed, d526 (above)
=1 Theodogoto, Ostro-Goth princess; =2/3/4 others; =5 Hjordis, Vandal
princess (above) ***
issue of 1st wife:
a. Sigeric, mur 522
b. Suavegotta (Suavegothe) (dau), wife of King Thierry I of France
issue of 2nd wife:
c. Gundobad (Gondebaud) (d523)
d. Gislahad (Gislahadus) (d523)
issue of 5th wife:
e. Sigebert (posthumous son), father of Clotswith, wife of Ragnahari,
King of the Allemania (below) ***
note: offspring of Godomar [II], King of Burgundians (above)
07. Godomar [II], King of Burgundians 523-532 deposed, d532
08. Guillebaud I (Willibald), King of Burgundians 532 & 534-8
09. Guntram, prince
issue:
a. Aletheus, Patrice of Burgundy (d616), father of Guillebaud II
(Willibald), Patrice of Bourgogne (Burgundy) (629) (d642), father of
[…]goto (dau), wife of Ardebasto, Visi-Goth prince, parents of King
Ervigio, King of Spain
b. Gondebaud, duke, Count of Meaux (571) (d584), ancestor of Gontier
(Guntharius), Count of Angers (750)
c. [name], father Gundoenus (Gondoin), fl c 635
C. the Volsungs of Allemania, Cambresis, & Denmark

01. Siggo, obtains kingdom of Germany 357
02. Rerir
03. Waels or Welsinc [Vols /or Volsung], ancestor of the "Volsungs"
(400)
= Hjod, dau of Hrimnir
04. Sigmund
= Signy [called his half-sis in medieval saga]
05. Siegfried (Sigurd) "Fafnisbane", called "Dragon-Slayer", epic
hero, the leader of a war-band of Germans, fought Romans 469
= Brunhilda, dau of Butilin, King of Allemania [= "all-men", reference
to Germans]
issue:
a. Ragnachar (below)
b. Ricchar
c. Rignomer (d508), father of Ragnoara, wife of Pastor, a Gallo-Roman
noble
06. Ragnachar, King of Allemania (485)
= Albofleda, a Frankish princess
07. Segnius "of Allemania" (520)
issue:
a. Ragnhari (below)
b. Brunulphe, Earl of Cambresis, who, by wife, Crotechilde, an
Ostro-Goth princess, was the father of Fredegonde, the infamous queen
of King Chilperic I of France
08. Ragnahari (above), King of the Allemania (555)
= Clotswith, dau of Sigebert of Burgundy (above) ***
issue:
a. Ragnemod, Earl of Cambresis (d591)
b. Gundswith (dau)
=1 Atanagildo, Visi-Goth King of Spain; =2 Leovigildo, Visi-Goth King
of Spain
c. Clothilde (dau)
=1 Caribert I, King of France [his 5th wife]; =2 Redwald, King of East
Anglia [his 1st wife]
09. Ragnemod, Earl of Cambresis (d591)
10. Gottfried, Earl of Cambresis
issue:
a. Landegisel, Earl of Cambresis (below) (630)
b. Ragnatrude, 3rd wife of King Dagobert I of France, &, mother of his
daughter Regintrude, wife of King Theodo II of Bavaria
11.Landegisel, Earl of Cambresis (above) (630)
= [name], the Frisian heiress
12. Radbod, King of the Frisii, 1st husband of Auda "Djup-udga", Queen
of Denmark
13. Randver "of Denmark"
= Signy of Essex
14. Sigurd "Ring", King of Denmark 735-750
= Alfhild, dau of Gandalf, a Norse king
15. Ragnar "Lodbrok", overlord of Scandinavia, his descendants were
called "Sons of Lodbrok" [his nickname "Lodbrok" became the dynasty's
surname] (d794)
16. Sigurd (Sigfried) "Snake-Eye", King of Denmark (d803)
17. Halfdan (d812)
18. Ragnar "The Raven", also called "Lodbrok" (d866), who is often
confused with his illustrious great-grandfather
direct-line of descent thru above generations

01. Gelimer, Vandal-King 530-534, identified with Eylimi in medieval
saga, deposed by Byzantines (534) who conquered the Vandal kingdom
[see above]
02. Hjordis (dau),
= Sigismund, King of Burgundians
03. Sigebert (posthumous son)
04. Clotswith
= Ragnahari, King of the Allemania
[note: descents from their dau, Gundswith, by both her husbands, see
above] ***
05. Ragnemod, Earl of Cambresis (d591)
06. Gottfried, Earl of Cambresis
07 Ragnatrude
= King Dagobert I of France [his 3rd wife]
08.Regintrude
= King Theodo II of Bavaria
[note: another descent may be traced thru this link] ***
compiled by David Hughes, ***@AOL.com
D. Spencer Hines
2004-06-17 21:13:57 UTC
Genealogical Garbage....

DSH

Todd A. Farmerie
2004-06-17 21:16:37 UTC
Post by david hughes
gateway descents from Kings of Vandals, via Kings of Burgundy, via
Volsungs of Allemania, Cambresis, & Denmark
[snip]
Post by david hughes
b. Hilde, wife of Frode VII, King of Denmark
Well there's Frodo. Hmm, . . .

[snip]
Post by david hughes
= Alfhild, dau of Gandalf, a Norse king
Gandalf too. Now if we can just fit Aragorn in there somewhere.

taf
Jared Linn Olar
2004-06-18 16:39:50 UTC
As I'm sure you know, Tolkien did get his inspiration for a lot of his
characters' names from Norse and Germanic history and legend.
Aragorn, however, was constructed from his fictional languages.

And of course, despite Icelandic genealogical legends, there is no
hard evidence that Frode VII and Gandalf, King of Alfheim on the
border of Norway and Sweden, ever existed.

Jared L. Olar
taf
Ford
2004-06-21 14:32:13 UTC
Post by Jared Linn Olar
As I'm sure you know, Tolkien did get his inspiration for a lot of his
characters' names from Norse and Germanic history and legend.
Aragorn, however, was constructed from his fictional languages.
And of course, despite Icelandic genealogical legends, there is no
hard evidence that Frode VII and Gandalf, King of Alfheim
Alfheim = Elfhome. Perhaps that is the setting of Lord Dunsany's classic
_The King of Elfland's Daughter_? Would Gandalf be said king?
Ford
taf
Jared Linn Olar
2004-06-22 02:17:49 UTC
Post by Ford
Post by Jared Linn Olar
And of course, despite Icelandic genealogical legends, there is no
hard evidence that Frode VII and Gandalf, King of Alfheim
Alfheim = Elfhome. Perhaps that is the setting of Lord Dunsany's classic
_The King of Elfland's Daughter_? Would Gandalf be said king?
Ford
I suspect you're joking. Seriously, though, "Alfheim" in Old Icelandic
saga literature refers to both a mythical land of the elves or alfar
AND to an actual region in Scandinavia, bordering on the Gaut Elf
River just about midway between the regions of Norway and
Sweden/Gautland. Gandalf and his dynasty are presented in the saga
literature as an ordinary Scandinavian king, with no trace of the
supernatural about him. The Alfheim dynasty was supposedly founded,
most fittingly, by a king named Alf the Old, one of the nine sons of
Dag, son of Halfdan the Old. It should not be necessary to say that
there is no good reason to believe any of these kings were historical
-- in fact, there is good reason ot doubt their existence.

Jared L. Olar
Ford
2004-06-23 09:02:24 UTC
Post by Jared Linn Olar
Post by Ford
Post by Jared Linn Olar
And of course, despite Icelandic genealogical legends, there is no
hard evidence that Frode VII and Gandalf, King of Alfheim
Alfheim = Elfhome. Perhaps that is the setting of Lord Dunsany's classic
_The King of Elfland's Daughter_? Would Gandalf be said king?
Ford
I suspect you're joking. Seriously, though, "Alfheim" in Old Icelandic
saga literature refers to both a mythical land of the elves or alfar
AND to an actual region in Scandinavia, bordering on the Gaut Elf
River just about midway between the regions of Norway and
Sweden/Gautland. Gandalf and his dynasty are presented in the saga
literature as an ordinary Scandinavian king, with no trace of the
supernatural about him. The Alfheim dynasty was supposedly founded,
most fittingly, by a king named Alf the Old,
A.l.f. + Alien Life Form? -> Sorry, just couldn't resist.
Jared L. Olar
Todd A. Farmerie
2004-06-17 21:33:19 UTC
Post by david hughes
gateway descents from Kings of Vandals, via Kings of Burgundy, via
Volsungs of Allemania, Cambresis, & Denmark
10. Hilderic, Vandal-King 523-530 deposed, d533
a. Gormund, Byzantine Governor of North Africa 534-543, father of
Hilde, wife of Valdar "The Dane"
b. Hilde, wife of Frode VII, King of Denmark
The number of Danes known historically from this period is rather slim,
and that list does not include either Valdar or Frode VII (or Frode I-VI
either, invented all).
Post by david hughes
b. Brunulphe, Earl of Cambresis, who, by wife, Crotechilde, an
Ostro-Goth princess, was the father of Fredegonde, the infamous queen
of King Chilperic I of France
08. Ragnahari (above), King of the Allemania (555)
= Clotswith, dau of Sigebert of Burgundy (above) ***
09. Ragnemod, Earl of Cambresis (d591)
10. Gottfried, Earl of Cambresis
11.Landegisel, Earl of Cambresis (above) (630)
= [name], the Frisian heiress
The repeated use here of the title Earl is highly anachronictic, not
that it matters that much since the whole pedigree is without support.
Post by david hughes
12. Radbod, King of the Frisii, 1st husband of Auda "Djup-udga", Queen
of Denmark
13. Randver "of Denmark"
= Signy of Essex
14. Sigurd "Ring", King of Denmark 735-750
= Alfhild, dau of Gandalf, a Norse king
15. Ragnar "Lodbrok", overlord of Scandinavia, his descendants were
called "Sons of Lodbrok" [his nickname "Lodbrok" became the dynasty's
surname] (d794)
This is all fanciful. The syntax of the "sons of Lodbrok" inscription
suggests that it was the (nick)name of their mother, not to mention we
have reasonable documentation for the royalty of this time, and there is
not a Ragnar or Sigurd among them (there are kings of similar name, but
they were not related to each other in the manner described in this saga
pedigree).
Post by david hughes
16. Sigurd (Sigfried) "Snake-Eye", King of Denmark (d803)
Sigurd and Sigrried are distinct names. Sigfried was king of Denmark
(again with the qualification about the true relationships differing
from those attributed here). Sigurd, who the Sagas make into a
Lodbroksdon is not well documented, at least as such.
Post by david hughes
17. Halfdan (d812)
18. Ragnar "The Raven", also called "Lodbrok" (d866), who is often
confused with his illustrious great-grandfather
There is no basis for this individual at all. Thus he hasn't been
confused with his mythical grandfather - the same person has been placed
in the pedigree twice.

[As always, any of my comments may be refuted with a simple presentation
of actual evidence to the contrary.]

taf
Jared Linn Olar
2004-06-18 17:05:37 UTC
Post by david hughes
gateway descents from Kings of Vandals, via Kings of Burgundy, via
Volsungs of Allemania, Cambresis, & Denmark
10. Hilderic, Vandal-King 523-530 deposed, d533
a. Gormund, Byzantine Governor of North Africa 534-543, father of
Hilde, wife of Valdar "The Dane"
b. Hilde, wife of Frode VII, King of Denmark
"Gormund" is mentioned in Geoffrey of Monmouth's "History of the Kings
of Britain" as a king of Germans in Africa who led an invasion of
Ireland and Britain during the reign of a Briton king named Careticus
(Ceretic) in the latter half of the 500s A.D. Careticus supposedly
was successful in beating back with terrible invasion, though
historical records don't mention anything of it. I believe Geoffrey
got the story of Gormund from someone -- I don't think it was original
with Geofrrey, but I don't know where he might have heard it. In any
event, I'm aware of no reason to believe Gormund ever existed, let
alone that he was a son of Hilderic, King of the Vandals.

As for Hilde, daughter of Hilderic, I've seen that spurious filiation
several times. It's based on a medieval Icelandic legendary pedigree
of Ivar Vidfadmi, a legendary conquering king of Scania, Denmark,
Sweden, Russia, and Northumbria who, again, may not have existed. The
pedigree first appears, I believe, in certain manuscripts of the
Hervarar Saga ok Heithreks Konungs. Ivar was supposedly descended
from a princess named Hild, daughter of Heidrik (Heithrekr) Ulfham,
King of Reidgothaland, traditionally identified as Jutland and/or
Mecklenburg. However, I've not yet found any early texts that
identify Hild's husband as Frode -- Hervarar Saga says she married a
Danish king named Valdar, but other Old Icelandic sources show Valdar
as an apparent descendant, not husband, of Hild.

Since the area of Heidrik's kingdom was associated with both the
German Vandals and the Slavic Wends, and since some later writers came
up with a false theory that the Vandals and the Wends were the same
people, someone came up with the idea that Heidrik Ulfham was a
legendary memory of the historical Vandal king Hilderic, and thus
invented a descent from the Vandal kings through the legendary kings
of Denmark and Sweden. However, there is simply no proof that Heidrik
Ulfham was Hilderic -- the names might seem similar, but just as the
Frankish royal name Hilderic is found in Old Icelandic texts as
Hjalprekr, so we should expect a Vandal king named Hilderic to be
mentioned in Old Icelandic texts as Hjaldrekr, or something like that,
not Heithrekr. Again, the legends of Heidrik Ulfham never associate
him with Africa, only with Northern Europe -- yet it was well known
throughout Europe, even Scandinavia, that the Vandals had migrated to
North Africa. One would expect some trace of that in the legends of
Heidrek Ulfham if it were true that he was based on the historical
Hilderic the Vandal.

At your service,

Jared L. Olar
Jared Linn Olar
2004-07-02 19:10:58 UTC
. . . . However, I've not yet found any early texts that
identify Hild's husband as Frode -- Hervarar Saga says she married a
Danish king named Valdar, but other Old Icelandic sources show Valdar
as an apparent descendant, not husband, of Hild.
I misremembered the legendary pedigree in Hervarar Saga. In fact the
saga does not identify the husband of Hild, daughter of Heidrek
Ulfham, but only says that she was the mother of Ivar Vidfadmi's
father. Valdar appears in many Icelandic sources as the father or
grandfather of Ivar Vidfadmi, but in Hervarar Saga we find Valdar
twice -- once as a King of the Danes during the reign of Heidrek
Ulfham's father, and again as the son-in-law of Ivar Vidfadmi.
However, since all other old Icelandic texts that mention Valdar show
him as Ivar's ancestor rather than son-in-law, we can be reasonably
sure that Hervarar Saga has an error here.

Jared Linn Olar

marshall kirk
2004-06-18 21:15:32 UTC
As always: who says so? where? when? on the basis of what facts or
arguments? If I wanted to, I could whip up and post a line showing my
descent from the Annunaki, *via* Gilgamesh, Lot's wife, Akhilleos &
Patroklos (heh heh!), the senator Diarrheticus Perpetuus, his daughter
Voxpopula and her son Voxdei, Pepsodentus (Scourge of the Yellow
Teeth), Robin Hood, the Red Red Robin, and the Cat in the Hat. If you
took me seriously for a picosecond (tho' I hope you wouldn't), would
you not wish to know my sources?
jl
2004-06-18 21:59:20 UTC
euh I prefer harry Potter than lord of the rings... could Mr Hugues give us
a lovely line with Harry , Albus Dumledore, Sirius Black and Remus Lupin
please....