Some further refs. to Rev. John Heart & family
r***@yahoo.com
2018-01-08 20:30:12 UTC
(1) Wariston's Diary from 1656, p. 39, mentions: "I thought it observable that M. J. Hart h[e]ard the Lord Henry Cromwell saye that the President [Broghill] had written to Ingland and Irland that he had drawen over the pryme ministerye of Scotland to the present government ..."

http://digital.nls.uk/scottish-history-society-publications/browse/archive/126777435

[Find previous posting showing that Rev. John Heart/Hart had a meeting with Henry Cromwell, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, at Dublin, late 1650s.]

(2) _Register of Consultations_, 2:154, the Rev. James Sharpe writes: "that you are much wanting to your cause who doe not take care of what stamp they are who are sent from Scotland to be ministers in Ireland; he hears the most of the Scottish ministers there are Remonstrators, amongst whom M. Hart is a leading man ..."

http://digital.nls.uk/scottish-history-society-publications/browse/archive/126728883

__________

Additionally, Jan's transcription of the 1757 will of Katherine (Craighead) Homes's brother, Samuel Craighead, merchant of London, shows a certain interesting bequest: "I give to my Niece Martha Cottrole one hundred poundes and to each of her Sons Charles and Joh. Cottrole one hundred pounds."

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bobwolfe/gen/pn/p13015.htm

It seems quite likely this niece is Martha [nee Orr] of Londonderry, Ireland, wife of Colonel John Cottrell, who is stated to have had an eldest son Charles and second son John, the same order as they were named in the Samual Craighead will, above:

https://books.google.com/books?id=eSwwAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA22&dq=%22martha+orr%22+cottrell&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfpYKLsYnVAhVFQCYKHaNWCrg4ChDoAQgrMAE#v=onepage&q=%22martha%20orr%22%20cottrell&f=false

Notice that John Cottrell's mother was descended from Lords Dacre and North, and that he also had an ancestor who had served as steward of the household to the Queen of Bohemia (ie., Princess Elizabeth, the daughter of James I & VI).
r***@yahoo.com
2018-01-17 17:34:28 UTC
r***@yahoo.com
2018-01-17 19:20:47 UTC
I believe Sir Jack Boles, former head of the National Trust (UK) in the 1970s/80s, would be a descendant of Gen. John Cottrell and his wife Martha through the Lefroy, Crofton, and Boles families.

http://www.jjhc.info/boleshilda1943.htm

http://www.jjhc.info/croftonduke1917.htm

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio.php?id_nbr=5650
r***@yahoo.com
2018-03-06 18:13:21 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
I believe Sir Jack Boles, former head of the National Trust (UK) in the 1970s/80s, would be a descendant of Gen. John Cottrell and his wife Martha through the Lefroy, Crofton, and Boles families.
http://www.jjhc.info/boleshilda1943.htm
http://www.jjhc.info/croftonduke1917.htm
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio.php?id_nbr=5650
Another Cottrell (and Orr, Craighead, etc.) descendant would be the British painter Anthony Eyton, born 1923:

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/anthony-eyton-1075

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Eyton

Martha Orr = Col. [?Gen.] John Cottrell
Rev. Charles Jeffreys Cottrell = Fanny Smith
Sophia Cottrell = John H. G. Lefroy of Ewshott House, Hampshire
Isabella Elizabeth Lefroy = Rev. Charles Frederick Seymour
Agnes Isabella Seymour = Philip Eyton
Capt. John Seymour Eyton = Phyllis Tyser
Anthony Eyton

https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESC&db=janeausten&id=I2125
r***@yahoo.com
2018-03-06 21:38:50 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Post by r***@yahoo.com
I believe Sir Jack Boles, former head of the National Trust (UK) in the 1970s/80s, would be a descendant of Gen. John Cottrell and his wife Martha through the Lefroy, Crofton, and Boles families.
http://www.jjhc.info/boleshilda1943.htm
http://www.jjhc.info/croftonduke1917.htm
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio.php?id_nbr=5650
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/anthony-eyton-1075
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Eyton
Martha Orr = Col. [?Gen.] John Cottrell
Rev. Charles Jeffreys Cottrell = Fanny Smith
Sophia Cottrell = John H. G. Lefroy of Ewshott House, Hampshire
Isabella Elizabeth Lefroy = Rev. Charles Frederick Seymour
Agnes Isabella Seymour = Philip Eyton
Capt. John Seymour Eyton = Phyllis Tyser
Anthony Eyton
https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=DESC&db=janeausten&id=I2125
Anthony Eyton may be the uncle of David G.P. Eyton, Chief Technology Officer of BP:

https://vimeo.com/234819998

G3. Philip Eyton, Lt.Col., * 1847, + 1907, Md. 1888, Agnes Isabella Seymour, + 1950, d. of Rev. C. F. Seymour, Rector of Winchfield, Hampshire.

H1. John Seymour Eyton, of Silchester, Berkshire, * 1890, +, Md.1) 1920, Phyllis Annie Tyser, + 1929, d. of Capt. Hugh Tyser, of Marden, Kent.

I1. Anthony John Plowden Eyton, * 1923, Md. 1960, Frances Mary Capell, d. of James Alwyn Capell, of Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
J1. Jane Elizabeth Eyton, * 1961.
J2. Claire Alice Eyton, * 1963.
J3. Sarah Mary Eyton, * 1964.
Md.2) 1931, Isabel Adams, d. of Rev. Henry Theophilus Adams, of Silchester, Berkshire.
I2. Robert Henry Eyton, Maj., * 1932, Md. 1960, Jean Mary Blake, d. of Geoffrey D. Blake, of Leatherhead, Surrey.
J1. David Geoffrey Philip Eyton, * 1961.
J2. Sally Mary Anne Eyton, * 1963.
I3. Anne Isabel May Eyton, * 1935, + 1958, Md. 1956, James Ivor Symes, of Widecombe-in-the-Moor, Devon, s. of Ivor T. J. Symes, of Basingstoke, Hampshire.

H2. Robert William Eyton, Lt., * 1895, + 1918 killed in action at Flary.

H3. Muriel Rose Eyton, * 1893, + 1972.

H4. Phyllis Winifred Eyton, of Crondall, Hampshire, * 1894, +, Md.1) 1925, Maj. Walter Macandrew Crockett, Issue; Md.2) 1939, Balcombe Langridge Seton-Winton, + 1957.

http://www.william1.co.uk/r61.htm
Johnny Brananas
2021-08-17 21:04:18 UTC
1629, 1st Feb. Bishop present. "Quhilk day David Heart, writter, having asked the consent of my L. Bishop, minister and elders of the session, that he might have a convenient place wtin the Cathedral Kirk of S. Magnus to big a seate for himselfe, his wife and his airs, Quhairunto they all in one voice most willinglie condiscend, and ordains the said seat to be bigged upon the west side of the pillar where the pulpit and the Reader's deasse stand, being direct over against the goodman of Essinquoy's seat."

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044081262545&view=1up&seq=120&skin=2021&q1=heart
Johnny Brananas
2021-08-17 21:39:09 UTC
"Remember David Hart and wret your mynd to him ..." [ca. 1630]

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b758502&view=1up&seq=285&skin=2021&q1=%22david%20hart%22
Johnny Brananas
2021-08-17 21:53:14 UTC
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015014521010&view=1up&seq=180&skin=2021&q1=%22david%20hart%22
r***@yahoo.com
2018-01-17 19:54:00 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
At any rate, William Heart's wife Helen seems to have been a granddaughter of Sir John Hay "the Incendiary."
Some genealogical book reviewed in 1935 in _The Genealogists' Mag_ apparently contains the following: "The book contains four genealogical appendices, the descent of Hay on both sides from Sir William Hay of Locherworth who died in 1421, a pedigree of his [Sir John Hay's] first wife Marion Johnston for four generations, a pedigree of John Adamson, his son-in-law, for four generations and the descent of the author from Sir John Hay."

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=bks&ei=BKhfWue_I8bXzgLkmrrIAw&q=%22a+pedigree+of+John+Adamson%22&oq=%22a+pedigree+of+John+Adamson%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...14463.15888.0.16669.2.2.0.0.0.0.54.101.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.KIaA0F6VHo4

This could be worth checking for more information on William Heart's wife, Helen Adamson.
r***@yahoo.com
2018-01-17 21:18:55 UTC
The 1755 PCC will of Isabella's husband is helpful, as well (PROB 11/813/3).

"George Atkins of Portsmouth Dock in the County of Southampton Esquire" mentions, ratifies, and confirms the settlement made upon his wife at the time of their marriage; mentions two thousand pounds owing him, secured by mortgage on part of Lord Viscount Hereford's estate, plus various other monies, bonds, securities, mainly "to my dear wife Isabella" ... to Willes Orr, nephew of said wife and son of the Reverend Thomas Orr of the Kingdom of Ireland ..."

I guess this shows sibling status for Martha Cottrell, Isabella Atkins, Sophia Wilson, and Rev. Thomas Orr.
r***@yahoo.com
2018-01-17 22:06:21 UTC