Lewis Stuckley of Affeton and Paulet/Pawlett of Melplash
mk
2017-03-03 14:59:44 UTC
Speaking of Stuckleys...

Does anyone have any of these Devonshire families on their radar: Stuckley,
Melhuish, and Southcombe?

I am particularly interested in the Lewis Stuckley of Afton or Affeton who
married the daughter of a Paulet of Melplash and the family of his Paulet
wife.

According to
*A View of Devonshire in MDCXXX: With a Pedigree of Most of Its Gentry*
By Thomas Westcote p. 586

"Sir Hugh Stukeley, knight, (sheriff of Devon 36th Henry VIII.,) married a
daughter of Sir Lewis Pollard of King's Nymet, and had issue Lewis, Thomas
named "The Lusty Stukeley," Amias, Agnes, (second wife to John Giles, of
Bowdon, esq.;) Audria, (first married to Yeo of Bruanton, secondly to Roger
Giffard, of Tiverton, esq.) *Lewis Stukeley, son and heir, (sheriff of
Devon 10th Elizabeth),* (married a daughter of Hill, of Helycon in
Cornwall, and had issue John, Scipio, and Hugh sans issue; *secondly he
married a daughter of Pawlet, of Melplash in Dorset*, and had issue Lewis,
Hugh sans issue, ---, (married to Anthony Pollard, of Horwood, esq.;)
Margery, (to John Hays of Witheridge.)"

John, son of Lewis, was father of Sir Lewis Stuckley, aka Judas Stuckely
for his role in the prosecution of Sir Walter Raleigh.

The earlier Lewis seems to be the same person as Lodovick Stukeley who
married Barbara, fifth daughter of Lord Thomas Poulet of Cossington and was
dead before 1587, by which time his widow was married to Thomas Melhuish of
Witheridge.

“Lord Thomas Poulet, of Cossington in the county of Somerset, second son,
married Mary, daughter and heir of Thomas Moore, of Melpash, in
Dorsetshire, and by her had, first, George Poulet, who by Alice his wife,
daughter of Thomas Pacy (or Plesey) of Holberry in Hants, was father to
Rachel, married to Philip de Carteret, Lord of St. Owen’s and Sark,
ancestor to the late Earl Granville; second, Christopher, who wedded
successively two wives, viz. — daughter of Christopher Sacheverell, and
Margaret, daughter of — Windham; third, Elizabeth, the wife of Richard
Dowse, of Morecourt in Wiltshire; fourth, Margaret, married to Robert
Frampton of Dorsetshire; fifth, *Barbara, successively wedded to Lodovick
Stukeley and Thomas Melhurst;* sixth, Philippa, married to Robert Bond of
Buckland; seventh, Mary, the wife of m William Southton, of Dorsetshire.”

*Peerage of England. ...*By Arthur Collins, p. 373

Stirnet and online trees have Lewis marrying a Jane or Janet Paulet rather
than a Barbara, but I can't find any source for that.

Connecting the Barbara above with Melhuish and Stuckley, are these extracts:

Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries - Volume 17 - Page 167
<https://books.google.ca/books?id=vDpJAAAAMAAJ&q=Lewis+OR+ludovick+AND+stuckeley+OR+stukeley+AND+pawlett+OR+paulet&dq=Lewis+OR+ludovick+AND+stuckeley+OR+stukeley+AND+pawlett+OR+paulet&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje6JP--KjSAhUl34MKHY2MBiA4ChDoAQgnMAM>

https://books.google.ca/books?id=vDpJAAAAMAAJ

John S. Amery - 1933 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
<https://www.google.ca/search?sa=N&espv=2&biw=1293&bih=717&tbm=bks&q=editions:LM31Vn_ngskC&ved=0ahUKEwje6JP--KjSAhUl34MKHY2MBiA4ChCYFggpMAM>

"It runs as follows : " Here lieth Barbara the wife of Thomas Melhuishe
gent Daughter of ye Lorde *Poulet* of Melplacc ... *Paulet*. Thomas
Melhuishe purchased the advowson of Witheridge from *Lewis Stuckley* of
Affeton, the grandfather of " Judas ..."

and

<1587: 14 August. John Gaydon. Patron for this turn George Southcomb of
Rose Ash, gentleman, by reason of the advowson granted to him by Thomas
Melhuish of Witheridge, gentleman, and which Melhuish has purchased of
Lewis Stuckley of Afton and John Stuckley, Esq., son and heir of the said
Lewis (Dr. Oliver) Lewis Melhuish, brother of Thomas calls Gaydon,
brother-in-law.>

http://www.witheridge-historical-archive.com/incumbent.htm

I have a particular interest because George Southcomb mentioned above
married two Paulet wives, according to Burke (see Southcomb of Rose Ash)
and left a son and heir (another Lewis, lots of them on the ground here) by
the first wife, Maria. So anything I can find out about the families might
help me place her. http://tinyurl.com/h2o2pyg

There's a possiblity she was Mary (said to have married a William Southton),
seventh daughter of Thomas Paulet and sister to Barbara, wife of Lewis
Stuckley and Thomas Melhuish .

MK
taf
2017-03-03 15:54:22 UTC
Post by mk
Stirnet and online trees have Lewis marrying a Jane or Janet Paulet rather
than a Barbara, but I can't find any source for that.
The source is Vivian. Unfortunately, the good Lt. Col. doesn't specify a source for this information. The Devon visitations include both 1530 and 1564 Stuckley pedigrees. Oddly, as published, the 1564 pedigree shows Lewis (who would have been the informant) as married, but does not name the wife nor his son who, based on his age in his father's ipm, had already been born.

I note that Vivian has Thomas, 'the Lusty Stuckley', marrying a Pawlet as well, so it is possible that there is some confusion among Poulet sisters who married brothers.

"Thomas Powlet of Melplache, co. Dorset" is named in the 1565 Dorset visitation's Frampton pedigree, but it is unhelpful for your question.

taf
taf
2017-03-04 03:13:14 UTC
Post by mk
I have a particular interest because George Southcomb mentioned above
married two Paulet wives, according to Burke (see Southcomb of Rose Ash)
and left a son and heir (another Lewis, lots of them on the ground here) by
the first wife, Maria. So anything I can find out about the families might
help me place her. http://tinyurl.com/h2o2pyg
There's a possiblity she was Mary (said to have married a William Southton),
seventh daughter of Thomas Paulet and sister to Barbara, wife of Lewis
Stuckley and Thomas Melhuish .
I think you need to be careful here. While it is certainly possible, I am seeing other sources that say Southcomb married first Mary (i.e. Maria), and married second Jane Paulet of Basing. See for example here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=aL0VAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA219

Now, it is possible that he married two Paulet wives (the family was throwing out lines from Devon to Hampshire) but it is also possible that somewhere along the line the fact that George Southcomb married a Mary and that he married a Paulet got combined into a single Mary Paulet, when in fact this combines the given name of his first wife with the married name of his second. Then when they found Jane Paulet as wife she was added, without recognizing this meant Mary probably wasn't a Paulet. The Burkes tend to fall victim to this type of error quite commonly, and I would not feel comfortable about this if Burke was the only source.

There is an account of Southcombe of Rose Ash in the Report and Transactions of the Devonshire Association that again says George married Mary _____, then Jane Paulet. For this it cites a manuscript of Lewis Southcombe, 1753. As this predates Burke, I suspect that latter is showing a confused rendition of things in making Mary a Paulet. The Devon Archives and Local Studies Service (South West Heritage Trust) has, among a set of notes on the Southcomb family, a record catalogued as "4131 M/F29 Copy of a manuscript account of the Southcomb pedigree (1753)". Given the date, this is likely a copy of the Lewis Southcomb manuscript.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/9a2f49ed-4f83-4ac6-9cc0-3468891f1bcc

For the TDA article, I can only see snippets, but it matches the page numbers of the following:

1925 Major W. H. Wilkin "[Rev. Lewis] Southcomb of Rose Ash" TDA 57:289-305

and apparently was continued here:

1930 Major W. H. Wilkin "Southcomb of Rose Ash" TDA 62:341-346

taf
mk
2017-03-04 14:25:14 UTC
Thanks, taf

I can see how confusion might have arisen, but don't want to rule out two
Paulets either. They do seem to be from separate branches, one Basing and
one Melplash. The connection to Barbara is intriguing, anyway.

Worth a poke around.

Unfortunately I am in Canada (bizarrely restrictive copyright laws) which
may be why I can't see the first citation at all.

Thanks for pointing me to the pedigree, though. I might write to the Devon
archives and ask them to copy it.

Best,

Monica
taf
2017-03-04 15:15:30 UTC
Post by mk
Thanks, taf
I can see how confusion might have arisen, but don't want to rule out two
Paulets either. They do seem to be from separate branches, one Basing and
one Melplash. The connection to Barbara is intriguing, anyway.
Burt what is the source for two? Anything worth wasting time on?

And since Thomas of Melplash was supposedly a younger son of William of Basing, I am not so sure these indicators were ever intended to imply two distinct lines.
Post by mk
Unfortunately I am in Canada (bizarrely restrictive copyright laws) which
may be why I can't see the first citation at all.
Sorry, try this copy:
https://archive.org/stream/reportandtransa18artgoog#page/n267/mode/2up
Helen Saunders, "Notes on the History of a North Devon Parish: Aissa, Rose Ash" TDA 32 (2nd ser. vol 2):212-228

taf
patricia feeney