Edgar the Atheling's daughter, Margaret, wife of Ralph Lovel and Thomas de London
M.Sjostrom
2009-01-07 23:07:43 UTC
the chronology between Edgar Atheling and Mael Choluim de Lundie is uneasy at best. Abysmal, possibly.

Edgar Atheling was born in around 1050.

the historical Mael Choluim de Lundie was born in around 1150.

That's really not easily feasible for being maternal grandson.

--------

I think the headline of this thread is a load of wishful thinking
It looks to make statements which are not easily supported.
Jared & Christina Olar
2009-01-08 01:47:32 UTC
No, it would not rather have been "Lundie." The "de Londoniis" family, also
transcribed/translated as "de Londres" and "de London," was connected to the
Lundins, not Lundie, and not London, England. And yes, the Londoniis family
did end up with a new surname, Doorward or Durward, assumed from their
office. No one is claiming that the Lundin family were from London,
England.

Jared L. Olar

Lundin is a Swedish surname, surely?
Jared & Christina Olar
2009-01-08 01:57:54 UTC
Uhhh, I really need to start engaging my brain before posting to this list.
Lundie = Lundin.

I'll go sit down quietly over here now. Carry on . . . .

Jared L. Olar

wjhonson
2009-01-08 04:23:11 UTC
Post by M.Sjostrom
the chronology between Edgar Atheling and Mael Choluim de Lundie is uneasy at best. Abysmal, possibly.
Edgar Atheling was born in around 1050.
the historical Mael Choluim de Lundie was born in around 1150.
-----------------

We don't know when Edgar was born. Here is the assumption.

He married Margaret of Scotland. We know her father was murdered 14
Aug 1040. We assume that Edgar was a *bit* older than his wife.
We know that his grandfather Edmund King of England died on 30 Nov
1016

Fiddle a bit here and there and voila he was born 1034/1039.

Is there a primary source which states which King of Scotland was (or
is supposed to be) Margaret's father?

Will Johnson
t***@clearwire.net
2009-01-08 12:40:42 UTC
He married Margaret of Scotland.  We know her father was murdered 14
Aug 1040.  We assume that Edgar was a *bit* older than his wife.
We know that his grandfather Edmund King of England died on 30 Nov
1016
Fiddle a bit here and there and voila he was born 1034/1039.
Is there a primary source which states which King of Scotland was (or
is supposed to be) Margaret's father?
As far as I know, this whole marriage is just someone's wannabe
invention.

taf