Visigoth King
Leo
2009-04-10 23:33:22 UTC
It is a pity to have seen the deterioration of Gen-Med where interests seem to have dwindled to the Anglo-Saxon world. We shouldn't blame the languages barriers as there are still people on Gen-Med who have a greater knowledge of the history and genealogy of countries with other languages than what I have.

If I were given the choice to find a descent to either a medival Scottish laird or a Visigoth king in Spain, I know who I would prefer. The Visigoth kings preceeded the better known kings of Castile, Aragon, Navarre, Leon and almost reach the Roman times.

Tulga was the son of Chintila, a Visigothic king of Hispania. If his father died in December 640 as some sources state, Tulga succeeded him in 640, although other sources have his rule beginning as early as 639 or ending as early as 641.
In 642 Chindasuinth, a Gothic warlord, started a rebellion. Already 79 years old, he had command of the frontier with the Basques. He saw the crown's weakness, and organised for a convention of nobles (landholding Goths) and the people (other Gothic inhabitants) at Pampalica (probably modern Paqmpliega) to proclaim him king, though without the support of the Church.
According to Sigebert of Gemblouxc, Chindasuinth deposed Tulga in Toledo and tonsured him (since monks were ineligible for the elective throne). However, Saint Ildephonsus of Toledo says that the rebellion failed without the Church's support and that Chindasuinth succeeded only on the death of Tulga.
Before becoming a monk, Tulga was married and had a son Wamba, king of the Visigoths, and two daughters. Tulga died after 642.

This Tulga is an ancestor of the following genealogists :
Ian Fettes - John Steele Gordon - Gordon R. Hale Jr - Tony Hoskins - Will Johnson -Peter de Loriol - Andrew MacEwen - Doug McDonald - Grant Menzies - George Andrews Moriarty - Tim Powys-Lybbe - John Ravilious - Gary Boyd Roberts - Walter Lee Sheppard Jr - Sam Sloan - Don Stone - Nathaniel Taylor - Kelsey Williams

Gateways to Brazil Francisco II de Sousa and Maria Pimentel Drummond

Gateways to the USA
Sir William Berkeley - Mary Bourchier - Thomas Bradley - James Claypoole - Col Edward Digges - Rev. Edward Foliot - Mary Fulford - Thomas Gordon - Sir Ferdinando Gorges - Sir Ralph Lane - Col Thomas Ligon - Percival Lowell - Henry Norwood - Rev. John Oxenbridge - Dr. Richard Palgrave - Herbert Pelham - Hon George Percy - Capt George Popham - Katherine St.Leger - Elizabeth Throckmorton - Richard Warren - Capt John West - Sir Francis Wyatt - Rev. Hawte Wyatt, and more

USA Presidents
1.George Washington
3.Thomas Jefferson
6.John Quincy Adams
9.William Henry Harrison
12. Zachary Taylor
18. Ulysses S Grant
22-24 Grover Cleveland
23 Benjamin Harrison
26 Theodore Roosevelt
27 William Taft
29 Warren Harding
30 Calvin Coolidge
32 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
38 Gerald Ford
41 George H Bush
43 George W Bush

Actors
Humphrey Bogart - Bruce Dern - Laura Dern - Michael Douglas - Rupert Everett - Joan Fontaine - Gloria Grahame - Hugh Grant - Olivia de Havilland - Audrey Hepburn - Katherine Hepburn - Anthony Perkins - Paul Petersen - Randolph Scott - Brooke Shields - Max von Sydow - Rachel Ward - Fay Wray, and more

Others
Bill W, co-founder of AlcoholicsAnonymous
Sven Gora Eriksson, manager Mexican National Football Team
Walt Disney
Valery Giscard d'Estaing, President of France
Tony Blair, Prime minister of Great Britain
Jean Luc Goddard
Alan B Shepard Jr.
Boris Johnson
Lawrence of Arabia
Wernher von Braun
Eleanor Roosevelt-------------and many more
Merilyn Pedrick
2009-04-11 00:53:22 UTC
Hi Leo

Nice to see you back!

Is there somewhere we could see a descent from Tulga? You don't seem to
have him in Genealogics. I have a number of Visigoths in my database but
not Tulga, so I would like to know how all these people you mention descend
from him.

Best wishes

Merilyn

.
Doug McDonald
2009-04-11 01:49:18 UTC
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
Hi Leo
Nice to see you back!
Is there somewhere we could see a descent from Tulga? You don't seem to
have him in Genealogics. I have a number of Visigoths in my database but
not Tulga, so I would like to know how all these people you mention descend
from him.
Best wishes
Merilyn
According to Wikipedia, Tulga had a daughter Ariberga, who had a son Ergica.
Ergica married Cixillo and had Sisebut, Count of Coimbra. This is according to a long
series of posts in this news group, attested to by Chico Doria,
with references. The path forward is as follows, whith some but not all
iffy connections mentioned:

Sisebut (slightly iffy .. it appears Witiza was his brother)
Athaulf
Athanaric
Teudo
Hermengildo Teudis was possibly father of
Guterre Mendes was possibly father of
Hermendildo Guterres
Elvira m. Ordono II, King of Asturias
Ramiro II, King of Leon and now we are on solid ground.

What's more, this line possibly (i.e. if we all win the
lottery) goes back to Vardan III Mamikonian.

All this can be found by searching the records of this newsgroup.
E. G.

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:44:21 -0300 (ART)
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Francisco=20Antonio=20Doria?= <***@yahoo.com.br>

and

From: Francisco Antonio Doria <***@rio.com.br>
Subject: Re: Pedigree of Hermenegildo Gutierrez of Portugal died. c. 943
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 05:29:33 -0000

these are from my DFA files.

Doug McDonald
t***@clearwire.net
2009-04-11 02:06:36 UTC
Post by Doug McDonald
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
[...]
And this is the line I called into question last week, as
unsupportable (that doesn't mean it is necessarily false, but the
nature of the surviving documentation does not allow it to be
confirmed or independently reconstructed).

taf
Merilyn Pedrick
2009-04-11 02:22:48 UTC
Well, just in case it is correct, this is what I have. Thanks Doug for
identifying who these people are. And thanks Todd for keeping us on our toes

Ahnentafel Chart for Ramiro II, King of Leon

First Generation

1. Ramiro II, King of Leon was born about 900. He died on 1 Jan 951.
Ramiro married Adosinda Gutierrez daughter of Count Gutierre Osorez and
Ildoncia Gutierrez in 925. The marriage ended in divorce.

Second Generation

2. Ordono II, King of Asturias was born about 873. He died in Jan 924. He
married Elvira Menedez in 890/900.

3. Elvira Menedez died about Oct 921.

Third Generation

4. Alfonso III was born in 848. He died on 20 Dec 910. He married Jimena
Garces de Navarre in 869/870.

5. Jimena Garces de Navarre died before Jun 912.

6. Hermenegildo Guterres .Hermenegildo married Hermesinda Gatonez.

7. Hermesinda Gatonez .

Fourth Generation

10. Garcia I Iniquez was born about 810. He died in 882. He married Uracca.

11. Uracca .

12. Guturre Mendes .Guturre married Elvira Agatomes.

13. Elvira Agatomes .

Fifth Generation

24. Hermenenegildo Teudis .

Sixth Generation

48. Teudo de Coimbra .

Seventh Generation

96. Athanaric de Coimbra .

Eighth Generation

192. Athaulf, Count of Coimbra .

Ninth Generation

384. Sisbert (Praesor) of Coimbra .

Tenth Generation

768. Egica, King of the Visigoths died in 702. He married Cixilona of the
Visigoths.

769. Cixilona of the Visigoths .

Eleventh Generation

1537. Ariberga .

1538. Erwigio (Ervic), King of the Visigoths .Erwigio married Liuvigotona of
the Visigoths.

1539. Liuvigotona of the Visigoths .

Twelfth Generation

3074. Tulga .

3076. Ardavazd, Count or King of the Visigoths .Ardavazd, married Glaswintha

3077. Glaswintha .

3078. Swinthila, King of Visigoths was born about 564 in Spain. He died in
633. He married Theodora of Visigoths.

3079. Theodora of Visigoths was born about 568 in France.

taf
wjhonson
2009-04-11 04:27:23 UTC
On Apr 10, 7:22 pm, "Merilyn Pedrick"
[...]
----------------

Marilyn. Remove ALL the birthyears you have above from your file.
They mostly appear to be wild and arbitrary guesses by some previous
genealogist.

Now start again from here

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ASTURIAS,%20LEON.htm

Will Johnson
Merilyn Pedrick
2009-04-11 06:50:51 UTC
Hi Will
When I pressed the send button I had an idea I'd hear from you!
Thanks for the link to Medieval Lands - I shall consult it carefully
tomorrow and remove the dates I have, which, as you say, are "wild and
arbitary". However they do at least give an idea as to ABOUT when they
lived, which makes them useful at least.
Merilyn

.
t***@clearwire.net
2009-04-11 14:55:05 UTC
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
Ahnentafel Chart for Ramiro II, King of Leon
First Generation
1. Ramiro II, King of Leon was born about 900. He died on 1 Jan 951.
Ramiro married Adosinda Gutierrez daughter of Count Gutierre Osorez and
Ildoncia Gutierrez in 925. The marriage ended in divorce.
This is some sort of typo. Ildoncia was Menendez, likewise daughter
of #6. Hermengildo Gutierrez. Likewise, Gutierre Osoriz is son of
Osorio Gutierrez, the brother of the same Hermengildo. I don't know
that there is direct evidence for a divorce.
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
Second Generation
2. Ordono II, King of Asturias was born about 873. He died in Jan 924. He
married Elvira Menedez in 890/900.
3. Elvira Menedez died about Oct 921.
Menendez or Mendes
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
Third Generation
4. Alfonso III was born in 848. He died on 20 Dec 910. He married Jimena
Garces de Navarre in 869/870.
5. Jimena Garces de Navarre died before Jun 912.
6. Hermenegildo Guterres .Hermenegildo married Hermesinda Gatonez.
7. Hermesinda Gatonez .
Fourth Generation
10. Garcia I Iniquez was born about 810. He died in 882. He married Uracca.
11. Uracca .
That Jimena was daughter of Garcia Iniguez (not Iniquez) is
speculation. That Garcia's wife was named Urraca derives from the
interpretation of a late document of dubious integrity, reporting a
prior grant by King Garcia and Queen Urraca (no date). Since no queen
Urraca is known to have married any of the other kings Garcia, it is
assumed that the Garcia in question must be Garcia Iniguez. However,
an alternative has been suggested, that this refers to Garcia Sanchez
II and his mother, Queen Urraca.
Post by Merilyn Pedrick
12. Guturre Mendes .Guturre married Elvira Agatomes.
13. Elvira Agatomes .
Almost certainly false. Probably a confused duplicate of her daughter-
in-law.

And there is no documentary evidence of anyone from this generation
back to the Visigoth King. That's five generations for which all we
have to go on appears to be some sort of late Coimbra foundation
legend.

taf
l***@yahoo.com
2009-04-11 01:24:20 UTC
Yes, indeed, I second everything Marilyn said! Missed you! - Bronwen
Renia
2009-04-11 13:34:02 UTC
Quite! Come back to us!
j***@gmail.com
2009-04-11 01:31:20 UTC
On Apr 10, 7:33 pm, "Leo" <***@netspeed.com.au> wrote:
<snip>
Post by Leo
Gateways to the USA
Sir William Berkeley - Mary Bourchier - Thomas Bradley - James Claypoole - Col Edward Digges - Rev. Edward Foliot - Mary Fulford - Thomas Gordon - Sir Ferdinando Gorges - Sir Ralph Lane - Col Thomas Ligon - Percival Lowell - Henry Norwood - Rev. John Oxenbridge - Dr. Richard Palgrave - Herbert Pelham - Hon George Percy - Capt George Popham - Katherine St.Leger - Elizabeth Throckmorton - Richard Warren
I also am interested in seeing this descent; although this is an error
above. Richard Warren's parentage is unknown, with rather few good
candidates, and no evidence ones whatsoever. He is described "of
London", and his wife's identity was only recently discovered, and her
family was from Hertfordshire. There is nothing that likes him to
Christopher Warren of Devon. See "Great Migration" series.

Also, http://www.pilgrimhall.org/warrenrichrecords.htm

Joe Cook
Leo
2009-04-11 05:54:53 UTC
Sir William Berkeley - Mary Bourchier - Thomas Bradley - James Claypoole -
Col Edward Digges - Rev. Edward Foliot - Mary Fulford - Thomas Gordon -
Sir Ferdinando Gorges - Sir Ralph Lane - Col Thomas Ligon - Percival
Lowell - Henry Norwood - Rev. John Oxenbridge - Dr. Richard Palgrave -
Herbert Pelham - Hon George Percy - Capt George Popham - Katherine
St.Leger - Elizabeth Throckmorton - Richard Warren
I also am interested in seeing this descent; although this is an error
above. Richard Warren's parentage is unknown, with rather few good
candidates, and no evidence ones whatsoever. He is described "of
London", and his wife's identity was only recently discovered, and her
family was from Hertfordshire. There is nothing that likes him to
Christopher Warren of Devon. See "Great Migration" series.

Also, http://www.pilgrimhall.org/warrenrichrecords.htm

My sources for him are not rock solid,
The Mayflower Miracle, by Jonathan King, published in 1986 in Melbourne
and and ancestor list for Sarah Palin (who, if correct, also descends from
Tulga)

With best wishes
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia

Leo
2009-04-11 05:50:27 UTC
See below

Is there somewhere we could see a descent from Tulga? You don't seem to
have him in Genealogics. I have a number of Visigoths in my database but
not Tulga, so I would like to know how all these people you mention
descend
from him.
As Doug McDonald pointed out, the main source is Prof Francisco Antonio
Doria. However Europaische Stammtafeln also has contributed as well as some
pointers by Mr. Sjöström from Finland

Tulga is father of Ariberga who is mother of Egica

Egica------------source "Link between Spanish Rulers and the Visigoths and
Mamikonids, (2001) Prof. Francisco
Antonio Doria
father of
Sisbert, Conde de Coimbra-----------same source
father of
Athaulf, Conde de Combra------------same source
father of
Athanaric, Conde de Coimbra---------same source
father of
Teudo, Conde de Coimbra-----------same source
father of
Hermenegildo Teudis, Capitain of the Royal Guard--------same source
father of
Guturre Mendes, Conde de Coimbra--------same source
father of
Hermengildo and Osorio (his son Gutierre married Ildonca see below)
Hermengilde Guterres, Conde de Coimbra---------same source and ES II 49
he married Hermesinda Gatonez
parents of
1.Elvira, wife of Ordono II, King of Asturias
2.Ildonca, wife of Gutierre and their daughter Adosinda Gutierrz married
Ramiro II king of Leon (ES II 50)
3.Guterre, Conde de Coinbra
(Source also House of Vimara Peres, Count of Portugal)
father of
Froila Conde de Coimbra---------same source
father of
Monio-------------------same source
father of Toda, wife of Conde Menende Gonzalez---------same source
parents of
1.Ilduara wife of Conde Nuno Alvites
2.Elvira wife of Alfonso V, king of Leon (ES II 50)

I think this gives several entries into known genealogy. Now the question
is, of course, was Prof Francisco Antonio Doria wrong?

With best wishes
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia
Bob Turcott
2009-04-12 03:58:24 UTC
Leo,

I fully hear you!!!! I am in the middle of a major research project pertaining to crusaders, i am sure you have seen the many posts on this subject, its funny thugh i have not been really challenged that much on the crusader front since WJ more or less pointed out st josephs granson as the fouder of the Turcas family, it has been very exciting, when i havev more
to post i will post it for sure because there is nothing more exciting to find out one descends from a crusader there are much reaserch to do on it
however i cant wait till i have more to posts as i enjoy when i get advise and constructive crit. it just forces me to confirm things and do the right thing!!! take care
Bob T.
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:33:22 +1000
-------------------------------
Ford Mommaerts-Browne
2009-04-12 23:43:49 UTC
2009-04-13 00:11:22 UTC
Dear Ford,

Will this do?

Yahia Ben Bakr was an important Mozarab (Iberian Christian living under
Muslim domintation) figure in medieval Portugal. He was of Sephardic Jewish
descent, the son of Bakr Ben Yahia (not to be confused with Yahia's son also
called Bakr ben Yahia).
Yahia Ben Bakr was succeeded in office by his son Bakr Ben Yahia. They
were both governors of the city of Faro and undertook important construction
work there. They are credited with constructing the actual city walls, as
well as the iton gates around its perimeter.

My guess, he was born about 1150.

He is an ancestor of, amongst many others, of

Dr. Otto von Habsburg,
Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands
King Albert II of Belgium
King Harald V of Norway
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburg
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
King Juan Carlos I of Spain
Prince Albert II of Monaco

Manfred von Richthofen 'the Red Baron'
Brooke Shields
Valery Giscard d'Estaing

With best wishes
Leo van de Pas,
Canberra, Australia

Bob Turcott
2009-04-13 05:05:27 UTC
Thats so true and just cool with me!!!
Bob Turcott
2009-04-13 05:06:45 UTC
this is getting better and better!!!

Subject: Not a Rabbi.....but............Re: Visigoth King
Bob Turcott
2009-04-13 05:44:58 UTC
Leo,

yes I see your site has some very nice info on the crusaders..

this link even gives indications of knights templar and some referance
to holy grail, there is some hope!!! I have been studying the The Occitan Cross just like a great rabbi would!! but man this is one tough rabbi man!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar_legends

The secrecy around the powerful medieval Order of the Knights Templar, and the speed with which they suddenly disappeared over the space of a few years, has led to many different Knights Templar legends. These range from rumors about their association with the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant, to questions about their association with the Freemasons.

link to The Occitan Cross:

http://www.midi-france.info/1901_cross.htm
Post by Ford Mommaerts-Browne
Leo,
Bob Turcott
2009-04-13 06:55:01 UTC
To all on this forum,

please let me know if anyone has any information on

Provance France Since at least the times of the kingdom of Burgundy and the lords that owned land titled there at since at minimum the tenth century

here is my coat of arms.

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/turcas-family-crest.htm

Subject: RE: Not a Rabbi.....but............Re: Visigoth King with occitan cross
Ford Mommaerts-Browne
2009-04-14 04:28:07 UTC
Would like to see the main line of the link, (prior to the branching).