Flodden casualty list(Scots)1513
j***@gmail.com
2017-04-26 18:36:15 UTC
I have a genealogical and historical interest in the Scottish
nobles/gentry who were killed at Flodden in 1513. According to Mr.
Norman Douglas' book JAMES IV, the most accurate Flodden death roll "
can be found in a Ph.D. dissertation by Wm K. Emond("The Minority of K.
James V 1513-1528). However, does anyone know of a more accessible list?
James IV, King of Scots
S. George Seton, 3rd Lord Seton
S. John Hay, 2d Lord Hay of Yester
George Douglas, Master of Angus
Sir David Kennedy, Lord Kennedy and 1st Earl of Cassilis
Sir William Graham, 1st Earl of Montrose
Sir John Stewart, 2d Earl of Atholl
Sir William Leslie, 3rd Earl of Rothes
Sir Archibald Campbell, 2d Earl of Argyll
Patrick Buchanan, 16th Chief of Clan Buchanan
Sir Robert Erskine, 4th Lord Erskine and de jure 15th Earl of Mar
Sir John Somerville of Cambusnethan
John Murray, Laird of Blackbarony
Robert Colville, Laird of Hiltoun
Sir Matthew Stewart, 2d Earl of Lennox
Would like to fill this list out accurately, so if anyone sees any error
here or has a name to include, would appreciate hearing from you.
--
Larry D. Hamilton Coats
P.O. Box 823
My ancestor, Sir William, tutor of Bombie, acClellan died that day on the field of Flodden. Sept 1513
taf
2017-04-26 18:51:35 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
I have a genealogical and historical interest in the Scottish
nobles/gentry who were killed at Flodden in 1513. According to Mr.
Norman Douglas' book JAMES IV, the most accurate Flodden death roll "
can be found in a Ph.D. dissertation by Wm K. Emond("The Minority of K.
James V 1513-1528). However, does anyone know of a more accessible list?
Probably too late to help the original poster, but this thesis is available online:

https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/handle/10023/2969
Post by j***@gmail.com
My ancestor, Sir William, tutor of Bombie, acClellan died that day on the field of Flodden. Sept 1513
Though Emond names William McLellan of Bombie in the text once, he does not name him in the list of Flodden, at least as far as I can tell.

taf
D. Spencer Hines
2017-04-26 19:09:54 UTC
https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/handle/10023/2969

Ph.D. dissertation by Wm K. Emond ("The Minority of King James V 1513-1528).

"APPENDIX A
The Flodden Death-Roll

Among the principal sources for compiling the Flodden death-roll are:
ADC - heirs inherit under Act of Twizelhaugh and the widows of men killed
appear before the Council to secure this inheritance.
ER - record of sasines granted to heirs.
RMS - occasional charters refer to deaths at Flodden.
Less reliable are contemporary or near-contemporary lists of the dead
preserved in:
Pinkerton, History ii 456-8 Gazette of the Battle of Flodden.
M Erler and N Gutierrez, 'Print Into Manuscript : A Flodden Field News
Pamphlet' in Studies in Medieval and Renaissance History viii (New York
1986).
The contemporary black-letter tract 'Hereafter ensew the trewe encountre...
in PSAS vii (1866-7) 141-152.
Cal. State Papers (Venice) ii no. 341 names of Scots killed at Flodden.
J H Stevenson, 'The Flodden Death-Roll' in Scottish Antiquary xiii (Jan.
1899) 101-11.

In many of the cases of peers killed, the appearance of their heirs in the
Council and in all record sources and the recording of their names on one of
the contemporary or near-contemporary lists is taken together as sufficient
proof.

The dead:
King James IV
Archibald, 2nd Earl of Argyll
Adam,
William,
David,
John,
William,
Matthew,
William,
[James,
William,
2nd Earl of Bothwell
2nd Earl of Caithness
1st Earl of Cassillis
6th Earl of Crawford
4th Earl - of Erroll
2nd Earl of Lennox
1st Earl of Montrose
2nd Earl of Morton
3rd Earl of Rothes
- ER xiv 529
d. between 1511 and 15151
Andrew, 2nd Lord Avandale
[William, 4th Lord Borthwick named in the 'Trewe Encountre'l
[Robert, 2nd Lord Crichton of Sanquhar d. between July and Nov. 1513
- ER xiv 523, 531 sasine of heir]
Thomas, 2nd Lord Innermeath
John, 4th Lord Maxwell
Alexander, 1st Lord Elphinstone
Robert, 4th Lord Erskine ER xiv 520, 521
John, 2nd Lord Hay of Yester ER xiv 521
Andrew, 2nd Lord Herries of Terregles ADC 26 f.86 25 Feb. 1514
634
[James,
John,
John,
George,
Henry,
3rd Lord Ogilvy of Airlie
2nd Lord Ross of Halkhead
1st Lord Semple
3rd Lord Seton
Lord Sinclair
d. 1513 at earliest, prob. d. 1524 as
heir succ. 1524; see Appendix E]
ER xiv 610
George, Master of Angus,
Sir William Douglas of Glenbervie,
Thomas Hay of Logie
William Gordon
William Keith of Troup
Alan, Master of Cathcart
Robert Cathcart
John Cathcart of Glendowis
David Lyon of Baky
William Lyon
Geoge Lyon
Robert Gray of Leitfie
David Lindsay of Kirkforthar
Colin, Master of Oliphant
William, Master of Ruthven
John Somerville of Quothquhan
sons to 5th Earl of Angus
brother of 4th Earl of Erroll
brother of 3rd Earl of Huntly
son of 3rd Earl Marischal
sons of 2nd Lord Cathcart
sons of 3rd Lord Glands
son of 2nd Lord Gray
son of 4th Lord Lindsay of Byres
son of 2nd Lord Oliphant
son of 1st Lord Ruthven ER xiv 571
son of 2nd Lord Somerville ER xiv 468
Alexander Stewart, Archbishop of St Andrews
George Hepburn, Bishop of the Isles
Laurence Oliphant, Abbot of Inchaffray
William Bunch, Abbot of Kilwinning
Thomas Dickson, Dean of Restalrig
Source: ADC (SRO CS5/26)
David Allardice
Alexander Annand
David Auchinleck
Duncan Balfour
David Balfour
John Ballingall
John Blair
Thomas Boswell
William Buchan
Thomas Burnet
Adam Crichton
Robert Cunningham
Robert Cunningham
William Dempster
George Douglas
James Douglas
Patrick Dunbar
William Dundas
John Erskine
Alexander Forsyth
George Gaddes
Roger Grierson
James Guthrie
James Haldane
David Hering
George Ireland
of Scatoquhy
of Milton
of that ilk
of Ballindean
of Pitmillo
of that ilk
of Balgillo
of Auchinleck
of Auchnatoy
of Cask
of Ruthven
of Cunninghamhead
of Westbarns
of Caraldstone
of the Borg
of Stanespeth
of Kinenquhar
of that ilk
of Dun
of Nydie
of Rawchamer
of Lag
of Glensauch
of Gleneagles
of Glaschon
of Burntbard
635
Thomas Kennedy
George Kennedy
Uchtred McDowell
Patrick McLellan
Edward Maxwell
Andrew Murray
Andrew Murray
John Park
Henry Pitcairn
Robert Ramsay
Robert Rollo
Adam Shaw
John Spreule
of Craigshiels
of ?
of Drummerrow
of Galston
of Tynwald
of Abercairnie
of Ogilvy
of that ilk
of Ferchar
of Balmouth
of Duncrub
of Craigrossie
of Coldon
of Auchindrain
of Cessnock
Richard Edgar
Gilbert Fergusson
James Kincaid
Hucheon Neilson
James Orrok
John Williamson
Archibald Wilson
Alexander Johnston, Burgess of Ayr
William Harvey, Burgess of Dundee
Andrew Bog, Burgess of Edinburgh
John Carratill, Burgess of Edinburgh
John Elphinstone, Burgess of Glasgow
Source: ER xiv
William Adair of Kinhilt
Florentinus Admulty in Fernie
John Balfour of Denmiln
Alexander Bannatyne of Lowpas
Buntyne of Ardoch
George Campbell, principal gardener of the great garden of Stirling
636
James Cramond of Fullerton and Cramond-Regis
Robert Douglas of Almornes
Archibald Douglas of Craigmoy
James Dunbar of Dumboy
John Dunbar of Mochrum
William Edmonstone of Duntreath )
prob. the same William Edmonstone of Redinach )
Fleming of Barlogan
David Forsyth of Cadintoun
of Glenquhoun
Robert Gordon in Ardee
Sir Alexander Gordon of Knockenshene
George Gordon in Schevis
George Halkerston, Burgess of Edinburgh
Hare of Bold
Robert Hens of Laggan
John Inch of Parkhill
Inglis of Douchlas
Thomas Inglis of Murthocarney
Kennedy of Ballathis
Simon Kirkcaldy in Hill of Lumquhat
Alexander Lauder of Blyth, Provost of Edinburgh
George Lauder, brother of Lauder of Blyth
Herbert Lindsay of Barskeauch
Aula MacAulay of Doune
Thomas McDowell, younger of Garthclone
Uchtred McDowell of Garthclone
John Melville, younger of Carnbee
Rankine Menteith of Bothkennar
William Moncreiff of Estercolsie
Mowat
John Multrar
Muir
John Muirhead
Nelson
Henry Ramsay
Nicholas Ramsay
Sir John Ramsay
Rattray
Rorison
Ross
of Stonehouse
of Newton of Markindie
of lxa-ous Muir
of Bully
of Madinpap
of Cotland of Bondhalf
of Foulden
of Trerinzean
of Rattray in Murthley
of Dunragane
of Craigie
Rutherford of Swinside
Patrick Scott, farmer in Strathearn
Alexander Seton of Touch
Andrew Simson of Grange of Bothkennar
William Simpson of Logie
John Stirling in Milton of Creauch
Archibald Vallanche in Burgeswalls, nr. Selkirk
Henry Wardlaw of Kilbaberton
William Wood of Raik
George Graham of Kinkellis
Source: RMS
George Graham of Calendreth iii no. 1120 1531-2
John Melville, younger of Carnbee iii no. 3355 9 June 1546"
---------------------------------------

DSH

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Strength to Love - Jan 1963

taf
t***@gmail.com
Sir John Dunbar if you didn't already have him as a victim he was my 16th great granfather
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-02 23:44:42 UTC
Ogilvies were too and John Sempill
c***@gmail.com
2019-04-10 06:48:06 UTC
I don't think I can add any extra but I have to say I am amazed at the number of men that fought there that pop up in my ancestry.

I do hope you find more, I have often wished there was a list of the fallen for all the battles that were fought between the Scots and the English.

The Battle of Falkirk 22 July 1298

The Battle of Duplin Moore 11 Aug 1332

The Battle of Halidon Hill 19 July 1333

The Battle of Neville's Cross 17 Oct 1346

The Battle of Homildon Hill 14 Sept 1402

The Battle of Flodden 9 Sept 1513

The Battle of Pinkie Cleugh 10 Sept 1547

Happy hunting Larry.