Pardon Rolls
The Hoorn
2015-04-01 23:44:22 UTC
In researching into the background John de NEVILLE , of Oversley & Althorpe, Esq,
d. 17 Mar. 1481/2, of Althorpe, co. Lincoln, , m. (1) Elizabeth Newmarch, dau. of Robert Newmarch of Wormsley, there was note in Wedgewood's History of Parliament 1:637 of the following:

Pardon Roll, 1462, s. and h. of Ralf Nevill knt., and Mary his wife da. and coh. of Robert Ferrers knt., decd., _alias_ late of Wormesley, Yorks., _alias_ late of Oversly, Warw. (m. 21).

Pardon Roll, 1458, of Oversley, Warw., esq., and Elizabeth his wife (m. 6, m. 30).

Question is: what was a Pardon Roll? I searched the National Archives website, and nothing turned up in my search results. Where would such documents have been recorded and are they accessible in digital format?

Thanks.
Colin Withers via
2015-04-02 00:10:56 UTC
Post by The Hoorn
In researching into the background John de NEVILLE , of Oversley & Althorpe, Esq,
Pardon Roll, 1462, s. and h. of Ralf Nevill knt., and Mary his wife da. and coh. of Robert Ferrers knt., decd., _alias_ late of Wormesley, Yorks., _alias_ late of Oversly, Warw. (m. 21).
Pardon Roll, 1458, of Oversley, Warw., esq., and Elizabeth his wife (m. 6, m. 30).
Question is: what was a Pardon Roll? I searched the National Archives website, and nothing turned up in my search results. Where would such documents have been recorded and are they accessible in digital format?
Thanks.
-------------------------------
The Pardon Rolls were part of the Supplementary Patent Rolls, C67 in TNA.

Here is the class description:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3627

and more info here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/royal-grants.htm

Cheers

Wibs
The Hoorn
2015-04-02 02:08:20 UTC
Post by Colin Withers via
Post by The Hoorn
[...]
Hi Wibs:

First, thank you.

Secondly, I plan to order a digital copy of the original through TNA. But before I do that, here's what I turned up:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2951694

Reference: C 67/45
Letters patent for pardons
Date: 1-6 Edw IV (1461 Mar-1467 Mar)
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record

Now, for the Pardon Roll, 1462, s. and h. of Ralf Nevill knt., and Mary his wife da. and coh. of Robert Ferrers knt., decd., _alias_ late of Wormesley, Yorks., _alias_ late of Oversly, Warw. (m. 21), would it be:

C 67/45/21?

Does that look correct?

Thanks again.
Colin Withers via
2015-04-02 12:22:49 UTC
Secondly, I plan to order a digital copy of the original through TNA.
But before I do that, here's what I turned up:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2951694 Reference: C
Mar-1467 Mar) Held by: The National Archives, Kew Legal status: Public
Record Now, for the Pardon Roll, 1462, s. and h. of Ralf Nevill knt.,
and Mary his wife da. and coh. of Robert Ferrers knt., decd., _alias_
late of Wormesley, Yorks., _alias_ late of Oversly, Warw. (m. 21), would
it be: C 67/45/21? Does that look correct?

Yes, that's what I would order up, but be aware, that membrane on that
roll could be up to a few metres long, so try to get a quote first.

Cheers

Wibs
Colin Withers via
2015-04-02 13:13:16 UTC
Post by The Hoorn
Secondly, I plan to order a digital copy of the original through TNA.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2951694 Reference: C
Mar-1467 Mar) Held by: The National Archives, Kew Legal status: Public
Record Now, for the Pardon Roll, 1462, s. and h. of Ralf Nevill knt.,
and Mary his wife da. and coh. of Robert Ferrers knt., decd., _alias_
late of Wormesley, Yorks., _alias_ late of Oversly, Warw. (m. 21), would
it be: C 67/45/21? Does that look correct?
Yes, that's what I would order up, but be aware, that membrane on that
roll could be up to a few metres long, so try to get a quote first.
Cheers
Wibs
-------------------------------
C 67/45 is what is in the catalogure, and is a number of membranes
stitched together then rolled up (hence Rolls). If you were at TNA you
would order C 67/45 then when produced look for membrane 21 (they are
usually marked with the membrane number in pencil in a corner of the
membrane, then search front and back for the pardon you want. When
ordering online you give the reference, C 67/45, and when the order page
asks 'the whole document, or just a part?' you put 'm.21'. You can even
ask for a particular entry, rather than the entire membrane which can be
up to several metres long.

Also be aware, that if you ask them just to copy the particular pardon
you are interested in, it might say:

Pardon for alienating land without licence to James Fisher
And the like for Ralf Neville....
etc

In other words, you need the entries above the one you are interested in
to find out what the 'and the like' referred to, so it may be best to
ask for the entire membrane to be copied, as even the date may be only
mentioned once, at the top of the membrane.

Hope that helps

Wibs