Geoffrey "Galfiridus" le Despenser update
Robert Spencer
2014-04-11 11:36:49 UTC
In an attempt to further identify the Origins of the le Despenser family, I ask help of those of this group to consider the latest finds and research which points to a Hickeling, Notts. connection. Summary of what I have gathered, some of it my original finds, others based on John P. Ravilious charts, Clive West and others of SGM, to whom great thanks go out to..

Possible origin for "de Berges" name is the "Six Hills" located in Burton on the Wolds. While assuming this name the family certainly were not "de Berges" very long..

They soon diverged to the names of Alspathe, Rempston, Nells, and le Despenser. I think you will find the Nell's Coat of Arms of great Interest.

I would appreciate any feedback or commentsand help in expanding our knowledge of Geofrey "Galfridus" Dispensator de Hickeling, who I believe is the same as Geoffrey le Despenser, father of Thomas le Despenser who married Recaura.

This Geoffrey "Galfridus" Dispensator de Hickeling, aka: de Rempeston seems to have had 3 sons:

1. Thomas le Despenser [1159-1207] of Burton-on-the-Wolds, Loughborough, Leicestershire, 'dispensator' of the Earl of Chester, died in Arnesby, Lutterworth, Leicestershire. = "Recuara' I Thoma dispensatore', witness together with Elias, 'his brother' of the gift of Ivo de Alspath, 'ca. 1160' .

2. Elias le Despenser, d. bef. 1254,
of Arnesby and Loughborough, co. Leics.
Ancestor of the Nell's family, who bear same arms.

witness to gift of Ivo de Alspath to the monks of St. Nicholas of
Kirby, ca. 1160, together with Thomas 'dispensatore' as 'Elias, his
brother'[11],[13],[14] enfeoffed in Arnesby, co. Leics. by Hugh de Beauchamp, and also Loughborough, co. Leics.: ' Henry II, about 1158, enfeoffed Hugh de Bello Campo of the vill of Arnesby, Leics., ...by the service of 1 knight, and Hugh enfeoffed among others Ellis Despenser of 15 virgates. The
successor of Ellis was Thomas Despenser,...' Farrer, HKF II:58[6]
(cited by Kay Allen)[15]
Children of Elias:
.............Nigel le Despenser kt. , fls. 1230 = Alice "Dispensatoris" - seal three fleur de-lys
.............Isabel le Despenser = Thomas Hotoft
.............Muriel le Despencer (c.1181 - 1216)= Sir Hugh de Dutton Knight 1204 in Dutton, Cheshire
.............Alice le Despenser = John Putrell

3. Hugo de Rempston , Notts. gave 5 BOVATES of land to Garanden Abbey.

The Antiquities of Nottinghamshire,:
Extracted Out of Records ..., Volume 1
Rempston
The Village stands upon the great road between
Loughborough and Nottingham, 4 miles from the
former and 10 from the latter.
From: 'Parishes: Rempeston, or Rampeston',
Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 1:
Republished with large additions by John Throsby
(1790), pp. 58-62. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
report.aspx?compid=75947

Notes on children of Thomas le Despenser and Recaura being new finds: a son Henry le Despenser became a kt. of Lord Stapleford of Willington, Beds., another son Robert aka: "Dispensarium" of Beeston, married Agnes.

Question : Does anyone have access to "The Hundred of East Gascote" by John Nichols, information in Latin, can someone check it please and translate, it refers to a Galfridus Dispensator de Hickeling.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

Robert
Peter Howarth
2014-04-12 06:55:43 UTC
Post by Robert Spencer
2. Elias le Despenser, d. bef. 1254,
of Arnesby and Loughborough, co. Leics.
Ancestor of the Nell's family, who bear same arms.
(If he was a witness in c.1160, then he must have died a long time before 1254.)

I am very interested in the evidence you have for his arms. The earliest evidence I have for this family is Hugh II (d.1265) [1] and I have no mediaeval evidence for the Nells arms.

Peter Howarth

[1] 'quarterly argent, and gules fretty or, a bend sable': seal, 1263, Douët d'Arcq 10122; Matthew Paris Shields (c.1244) MP II. 58, Glover's Roll (c.1253) B 114; these arms were presumably derived from those of the Lacy constables of Chester: 'quarterly or and gules, a bend sable and a label argent' (seal: 1179-1211, Birch 11198).
Robert Spencer
2014-04-13 12:27:54 UTC
Post by Peter Howarth
Post by Robert Spencer
2. Elias le Despenser, d. bef. 1254,
of Arnesby and Loughborough, co. Leics.
Ancestor of the Nell's family, who bear same arms.
(If he was a witness in c.1160, then he must have died a long time before 1254.)
I am very interested in the evidence you have for his arms. The earliest evidence I have for this family is Hugh II (d.1265) [1] and I have no mediaeval evidence for the Nells arms.
Peter Howarth
[1] 'quarterly argent, and gules fretty or, a bend sable': seal, 1263, Douët d'Arcq 10122; Matthew Paris Shields (c.1244) MP II. 58, Glover's Roll (c.1253) B 114; these arms were presumably derived from those of the Lacy constables of Chester: 'quarterly or and gules, a bend sable and a label argent' (seal: 1179-1211, Birch 11198).
I will add more ancestors fro your perusal,perhapos a link to the Lacy's can be found:

Hugh de Berges ,, Hugh died in Burton-on-the-Wolds, Loughborough,
Leicestershire, England, m. [-?--] de Queniborough Heiress of Burton [1075-] of Prestwold,Loughborough, Leicestershire, daughter of William de Queniborough

his son:
Askitil de Berges [1100-] of Burton-on-the-Wolds, Loughborough, Leicestershire, (aka: de Alspath) , fls. 1140 = Rohese Notes: Anskitil de Berges was allied to the Simon IV de Montfort, Seigneur de Montfort-l'Amaury, 5th Earl of Leicester (1165 - 25 June 1218)., who's lands passed Simon de Montfort's cousin " Ranulph , 4th Earl of Chester", to whom the "de Berges" became hereditary "dispensators" to, later that name becoming patrimony of this branch.

his son:
Galfridus, "le Despenser", he is also named as Galfridus Dispensator de Hickeling. (also, 'dispensarius') to Ranulf, the Earl of Chester , held land at Hickling, Notts. a massage and 20 acres and 2 meadows. Owned land and cottage in Burton on Wolds, some of the The Hickling property was granted to the priory and still mentioned at the time of Henry Despenser- Bishop of Norwich and his brother Hugh le Despenser, descendants. In a deed regarding Rempston, Geoffrey is named as "of Hickling". He is also believed to be the same as Geoffery de Rempston, Nottinghamshire.

'Gaufrido dispensatore.' witness to charters of the Earls of Chester,
together with others [once with his brother Ivo de Alspath:
'Gaufrido dispensatore et Ivone fratre suo..', charter #82 ]
ca. 1135-1153. Barraclough, The Charters of the Anglo-Norman
Earls of Chester, charters #25, 35-37, 50, 55-59, 64, 73, 85, 99[13]
[also, 'Gaufrido dispensario..' and 'Galfrido dispensatore.' ]

'Gaufrido dispensatore', witness together with brother Ivo de
Alspath of recognition of Eustace fitz John as constable of
Chester, ca. 1144-45
[Barraclough, charter #73, cites B. L. Cott. Charter xvi, 36;
collated, where mutilated, with Bodleian Library, Dugdale MS.
17, p. 82 and P.R.O., D.L. 42/1[13]]

"Geoffrey 'dispensario' ",witness to a charter ca. 1155-67 with his
brother Ivo de Alspath ("Ivo de Hallespad' ") - PRO, Shakespeare
Birthplace Trust Records Office: Gregory of Stivichall
[DR10/1 - DR10/467] , DEEDS AND PAPERS: Warwickshire: Combe alias
Smite, [ DR10/192 ][11]

3 sons:
Thomas le Despenser [1159-1207] of Burton-on-the-Wolds, Loughborough, Leicestershire, 'dispensator' of the Earl of Chester, died in Arnesby, Lutterworth, Leicestershire. = "Recuara' i
Thoma dispensatore', witness together with Elias, 'his brother' of the gift of Ivo de Alspath, 'ca. 1160'.

Hugo de Rempston ,Notts. gave 5 BOVATES of land to Garendon Abbey.
his son: Robertus de Rempston
...........Thomas de Rempston 18 ED 1 (1289/90)= Cicely
..............Johannes de Rempston 2 Ed 2 (1308/9)
.................William de Rempstone at assizes of Notts, recovered lands in Hikeling, Notts. in (1355/6) 29 Ed 3., has brother or son named John de Remston amerc.
.....................Thomas de Rempston, Temp. H 4 (1399/1400)= Margareta , dau. of Godfre. Folambe. Sir Thomas de Rempston. 1 H. 4. Constable of the Tower of London,and Admiral towards the West Parts, 2 H. 4. His Constableship he had in the fourth Year of that King, Nov. 14, and in the seventh Year also, June 20. He was also Knight of the Garter. he drowned 1406, under London Bridge. He was vice chancellor at coronation of his king.

From: 'Parishes: Rempeston, or Rampeston', Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 1: Republished with large additions by John Throsby (1790), pp. 58-62. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=75947 Date accessed: 03 April 2014.
From: 'Parishes: Rempeston, or Rampeston',
Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire: volume 1:
Republished with large additions by John Throsby
(1790), pp. 58-62. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
report.aspx?compid=75947

Elias le Despenser, d. bef. 1254, = Alice , dau. of Richard de Smithford
of Arnesby and Loughborough, co. Leics.
Ancestor of the Nells family.who bear same arms.

witness to gift of Ivo de Alspath to the monks of St. Nicholas of
Kirby, ca. 1160, together with Thomas 'dispensatore' and 'Elias, his
As per your request for the Nell's Arms, I will send on Monday as they are on my office computer..
Robert Spencer
The arms of the ancient Prestwould pf Liesc. lords of the Manor of Prestwold, which Hugh de Berges / aka : de Prestwould was a member were Sable, a chevron, or , Fretty Gules, between three garbs, Argent.
Peter Howarth
2014-04-15 14:06:26 UTC
The only evidence I can find for the arms you give ('sable, a chevron or fretty gules, between three garbs argent') is from two hundred years or more later than your Hugh de Berges:
Ashmolean Roll (c.1334) AS 486 Monsr Hugh de Prestwolde
Cooke's Ordinary (c.1340) CKO 160 Monsr Hugh de Prestwolde
Cotgrave's Ordinary (c.1340) CG 145 Monsire de Prestwald
Thomas Jenyns' Book (c.1410) TJ 699 Monsr Hugh de Prestwolde, TJ 1221 Monsr Hugh de Prestwolde
Many of the entries in the last roll of arms were copied from earlier rolls.

There is nothing I can find to connect this Hugh de Prestwold with your Hugh de Berges. In addition, Hugh de Berges lived at a time when only counts and earls bore coats of arms.

Peter Howarth
Peter Howarth
2014-04-17 18:21:58 UTC
It would appear that Sir Hugh de Prestwold almost certainly did not hold the manor of Prestwold. According to
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/neville-sir-henry-1415
Sir Henry Neville (d.c.1415) acquired a third part of Prestwold through his wife, Joan, dau and h of Walter Gotham of Gotham, Notts by Maud, sister and coh of Robert Poutrel (d.1349) of Prestwold.

Hugh de Prestwold did not advertise any connection to the Despensers. Instead his arms are an interesting combination of the arms of two other prominent families in Leicestershire. The basic arms, 'sable, three garbs argent', are the early arms of the Segraves [1] who held Seagrave and Mountsorrel. The chevron 'or fretty gules' would remind those who saw it of the Verduns [2] who held Belton.

Peter Howarth

[1] 'sable, three garbs argent' was borne by Stephen I (d.1241), Gilbert II (d.1254) and Nicholas (d.1295); Nicholas changed his arms to 'sable, a lion rampant argent' (Caerlaverock Poem vv. 113-17) which were then borne by his descendants until 1353.
[2] 'or fretty gules' was perhaps borne by Nicholas de Verdun, whose dau and h, Rohese, was second wife of Theobald II le Boteler of Arklow; her son John (d.1274) inherited her lands and surname and used these arms (Glover's Roll (c.1253) B 99); he was followed by Theobald I (d.1309) (seal, 1301, Birch 6495 and 13 rolls of arms) and Theobald II (seal, 1313, Birch 6496) who d.s.p.m. 1316.
Robert Spencer
2014-04-18 13:58:11 UTC