WILLOUGHBY/HILL
Jan Dabson
2021-08-27 13:14:23 UTC
Hello

I am re posting this from 2017 in case someone is able to help me now.

From The Genealogist New Series Vol XV
"he is said in various MS, accounts of the family in possession of his descendants, to have been 12th in descent from Sir John Hill, of Hounston (in Pitminster), co. Somerset, being himself a younger son of Roger Hill, who first settled, temp. Hen VIII at Poundisford, in that county. This Roger, apparently, is the Roger Hill (son of William Hill, of Yard, in that county), who married Mary, da. of (-----) Towse, of co. Somerset, and by her left a son and heir, William Hill, of Poundisford, whose great-great-grandson, Sir Roger Hill, was of Poundisford afsd., and of Denham, Bucks, temp. Car. II. There does not, however, appear to be any proof that the first named Roger had a son named Martin, neither is there any proof of the parentage of Martin Hill, of Asfordby, or even that he came from the county of Somerset; an origin of the family which (had it existed, or even been alleged by the family) would probably have been mentioned in the Visitation pedigree of 1681".The subjoined account of the family in Bridge's Northamptonshire (vol.ii, p.61), under "Rothwell", adds two generations (both on Asfordby, co. Leicester) to the pedigree in the Visitation of 1681, making the "Martin Hill, Rector of Asserbie" (i.e., Asfordby), who heads that pedigree, to be the grandson of another Martin Hill, also Rector thereof (about 1540, but vacated in 1562; see Nichol's Leicestershire) and the son of Francis Hill. This account, which was furnished by the family being stated to be "e litt. Geo Hill, Arm." (i.e., of George Hill, born 1716, who succeeded his father in the Rothwell estate in 1732) seems worthy of credit, with the exception of the claim therein of a descent from the ancient family of Hill, of Hounston, co. Somerset. The alleged match with the family of Willoughby is somewhat borne out by the name of "Perceval Hill" (whose birth would probably be as early as 1600) in the Visitation pedigree, whose brother, Francis Hill, had in 1621 been presented by Sir Perceval Willoughby to the Rectory of Asfordby, and whose father and great grandfather had been so presented by other members of the Willoughby family, in which "Perceval" frequently occurs as a Christian name".

And from The History of Rothwell by Paul Cypher 1869, there is this:

"the manor of Rothwell.........when we find it purchased from the Crown by Edward Hill Esqe...........This gentleman was descended from an ancient family, which settled here in the reign of James 1st, having originally been located in Somersetshire, as appears from the annexed.

And goes on to give this pedigree:

Sir John Hill of Houndsden, Somerset, ob 1341
:
:
:
:
Martin Hill, 12th in descent from Sir John married a daughter of Lord Willoughby
:
Roger Hill temp. Henry 6
:
Francis Hill
:
John Hill married Susan, daughter of E Lamb Esq. Essex
:
Edward Hill
"who in the reign of James 1st purchased the manor of Rowell, including those known, as Saunders and Buckingham, with all royalties, free warren..........."
:
Edward Hill born at Higham Ferrers 1635 died at Rowell, Aug. 1 1705 married Susan, daughter of John Mansell, Esqr Thorpe Malsor
Etc.

I have two queries;
Firstly does anyone know of any proof that Martin HILL is descended from Sir John HILL of Hounston and secondly IF Martin HILL married a daughter of the WILLOUGHBY family, which member is it likely to be. From looking at the WILLOUGHBY family on various websites I am unable to ascertain as to which member of the WILLOUGHBY family the above might be referring to. I might also add that I found a copy of Martin HILL’s will in the Nottinghamshire University Special Collections among the WILLOUGHBY papers but that didn’t give me any clues.

Thank you.

Regards

Jan
Will Johnson
2021-08-27 14:51:29 UTC
Post by Jan Dabson
Hello
I am re posting this from 2017 in case someone is able to help me now.
From The Genealogist New Series Vol XV
https://www.google.com/books/edition/John_Hill_of_Dorchester_Mass_1633_and_Fi/FRYPAAAAYAAJ?q=alexander+togwell&gbpv=1#f=true