Thomas Stradling
Add Reply
Paulo Ricardo Canedo
2020-06-09 22:28:08 UTC
This question is beyond the chronological limits of this newsgroup but I don't think there is anywhere else I could ask this question. The real story in which Robinson Cruse was based involved a Lieutenant Captain Thomas Stradling, read https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-real-robinson-crusoe-74877644/. Could he have been the same man as the namesake son of Edward Stradling, 4th Baronet of St Donat's Castle, who died at sea?
j***@gmail.com
2020-06-10 03:49:23 UTC
Post by Paulo Ricardo Canedo
This question is beyond the chronological limits of this newsgroup but I don't think there is anywhere else I could ask this question. The real story in which Robinson Cruse was based involved a Lieutenant Captain Thomas Stradling, read https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-real-robinson-crusoe-74877644/. Could he have been the same man as the namesake son of Edward Stradling, 4th Baronet of St Donat's Castle, who died at sea?
I don't know the answer to your question, but you can check out our sister group alt.genealogy or the many (many many many) specialized genealogy groups on facebook.com if you are looking for expertise in other areas.

--Joe C
John Higgins
2020-06-10 21:02:17 UTC
Here's a idea for you, Paulo: Ask John Schmeeckle to initiate a conversation with Daniel Defoe. Maybe Defoe himself can tell us if your Thomas Stradling was the inspiration for his character of the same name. :-)
wjhonson
2020-06-10 21:55:00 UTC
I think we should at least point out, in case any Stradling try to claim this supposed connection, that the Stradling baronets *died out* and therefore there are no male Stradlings who came from this family, even if this is the same person called "aged 21" when the ship put the Captain out.