2019-09-20 22:22:20 UTC
In the Visitation of the County of Suffolk, 1561 with additions by William Hervey, there is a section that speaks about a Lewknor monument in small chapel within Denham Church erected for Sir Edward Lewknor and his wife Susan Heigham. On the monument are a number of arms, and one is a large shield of arms, which is the canopy centerpiece bearing 12 arms relating to Edward Lewknor's great-grandfather, Sir Edward Lewknor who died in 1522. In the visitation they are identified as:
(Written as in visitation as follows)
1 Lewkenor Azure 3 chevronels Argent a mullet for difference
2 Bardolphe Azure 3 cinquefoils Or
3 Tregose Azure 2 bars gemelles Or in chief a lion passant of the second
4 Dalingridge als Delahache Or a croaa engrailed Gules
5 Broos alias Bruce Gules 3 bara vairee Argent and Azure
6 Echingham Azure a fret Argent
7 Camoys Or on a chief Gules 3 bezants
8 Radmylde Barry of 6 Ermine and Gules
9 d’Oyley Gules 3 buck's heads caboshed Or 2 and 1
10 Noell 3 pales Gules in a field Or
11 Halsham Argent a chevron Gules between 3 torteaux
12 Lewkenor as above
Pages 230-232 in visitation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Lewknor_(died_1605) (has a picture of the monument)
2) Bardolph (Katherine Bardolph who married Sir Roger Lewknor d.1362/63)
3) Tregoz (Margaret de Tregoz who married John d’Oyley whose daughter Joan d’Oyley was married to Thomas Lewknor d.1375)
4) Dalingridge (Philippa Dalingridge who married Thomas Lewknor d.1452)
5) Broos alias Bruce (Braose?) ????? No idea who this relates to.
6) Echingham (Elizabeth de Echingham other wife of Thomas Lewknor d.1452)
7) Camoys (Margaret Camoys the wife of Ralph Radmylde parents of Sir Edward Lewknor’s mother Elizabeth Radmylde)
8) Radmylde (Sir Edward Lewknor’s mother Elizabeth Radmylde)
9) d’Oyley (Joan d’Oyley wife of Thomas Lewknor d.1375)
10) Noel(l) ????? No idea who this relates to.
11) Halsham (Jane Halsham mother of Ralph Radmylde who was the father of Sir Edward Lewknor’s mother Elizabeth Radmylde)
There are two arms listed that I can’t place in the Lewknor ancestry. They are #5 Broos alias Bruce (which wikipedia lists in their entry about Edward Lewknor that mentions the monument as Braose), and #10 Noell.
I was wondering if anyone knew what Lewknor ancestors these two arms are related to.