Giles Master/ Masters, King's attorney, d. 1689 in New England
Johnny Brananas
2021-10-21 14:48:34 UTC
Here is a marriage license that pertains to someone who died in New England.

[Dean and Chapter of Westminster.]

--1667/8, Jan. 25. Giles Master, Bachelor, & Elizabeth Harcourt, Spinster.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Allegations_for_Marriage_Licences_Issued/iqwKAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22elizabeth+harcourt+spinster%22+master&pg=PA44&printsec=frontcover

_LeNeve's Knights_ says that this Giles Master "dyed in New Engld[,] there buried," and identifies his wife Elizabeth as being related distantly to the first Lord Harcourt:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015005695583&view=1up&seq=622&skin=2021&q1=harcourt%20master

Samuel Sewall's diary, under Feb. 28, 1688/89, notes, "Mr. Giles Masters, the king's attorney, dies." He was buried shortly thereafter.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Diary_of_Samuel_Sewall/sfYSAwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=foster+is+buried+and+mr+masters&pg=PA205&printsec=frontcover

He is #250 in the NEHGS "Roll of Arms."

His son, Sir Harcourt Master, may have English descendants.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Bibliotheca_Topographica_Britannica/ObWjZvX0Bs0C?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=harcourt

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Select_Cases_and_Other_Authorities_on_th/e5k_AAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22harcourt+masters%22&pg=PA643&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Notes_and_Queries/p5wgAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=liittleton%20masters

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Gentleman_s_Magazine_London_England/X0UdAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22mr+harcourt+master%22&pg=PA725&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_History_of_the_city_of_Canterbury_of/ejDKRHdRnE8C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22giles+master%22+harcourt&pg=PA183&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_general_and_heraldic_dictionary_of_the/aB0IAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22harcourt+masters%22&pg=PA510&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_New_Bath_Guide_Or_Useful_Pocket_Comp/FX5dAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22mr+harcourt+masters%22&pg=PA45&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Solicitors_Journal_and_Reporter/Jgs5AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22mr+harcourt+master%22&pg=PA356&printsec=frontcover

https://wellcomelibrary.org/moh/report/b19956502/4#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Harcourt_Masters

See here for speculation that the Katherine Masters married 1688 in Boston to Thomas Child, Painter-stainer, was a relative of this Giles. She later married a second husband, Lancelot Lake of Boston.

https://archive.org/details/bostoniansociety09bost/page/n1107/mode/2up?q=giles

It might seem more likely from the subsequent discussion of T. Child's will that Katherine's maiden name was Martin.
Johnny Brananas
Oopps.. , date of death should be Feb. 1687/8 ...
Will Johnson
2021-10-21 22:41:44 UTC
I haven't looked through all your references yet, but do they identity the second wife of Harcourt Master, whom LeNeve only says dr of the Earl of Leicester, as Elizabeth Sydney specifically?
Will Johnson
2021-10-21 23:16:57 UTC
Hugh Hamersley who was Mayor of London had as a wife a Mary aka Marie

They had children baptised started in 1598 and continuing through 1618, all in London
The man of this name having children in Stafford is probably not the same person as his wife is Margaret aka Margery.

Dorcus was not his eldest daughter, but eldest surviving daughter

Hugh himself has or had a M.I. at St Andrew Undershaft put up by "his widow Mary", thus this identification
The last children were also baptised there
Will Johnson
2021-10-22 00:01:44 UTC
Gyles Master, subject of this thread, was bap at Canterbury 20 Jan 1644
Will Johnson
2021-10-22 00:05:51 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Gyles Master, subject of this thread, was bap at Canterbury 20 Jan 1644
Harcourt Master, the son of
Harcourt /Master/ of London; Knt; Director of the South Sea Company
by his first wife
Anne /Henry/
was baptised
Apr 1700
St Olave Hart Street
"aetat 16" 1716 (in the source posted above)
Johnny Brananas
2021-10-22 15:36:08 UTC
Yes, I think some peerage works show the contemporary Earl of Leicester with a sister Elizabeth Sydney married to Harcourt Master or Masters.
Johnny Brananas
2021-10-22 17:44:00 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
Post by Will Johnson
I haven't looked through all your references yet, but do they identity the second wife of Harcourt Master, whom LeNeve only says dr of the Earl of Leicester, as Elizabeth Sydney specifically?
Yes, I think some peerage works show the contemporary Earl of Leicester with a sister Elizabeth Sydney married to Harcourt Master or Masters.
Dame Anne, first wife of Sir Harcourt Masters, was a daughter of Henry Hunter, Citizen and Merchant of London, by his wife Joanna Barnard ("Hunter of Beech Hill" [Berkshire]).
https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Genealogical_and_Heraldic_History_of_t/93M-AQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22henry+hunter%22+harcourt&pg=PA1024&printsec=frontcover
1719, Decr 15. Dame Anne Masters.
[Tomb on the floor of the south aisle, inscribed: "Ann Masters, wife of Sir Harcourt Masters, Aldn. by whom she had 19 childn., whereof ten survived, deceased Decr 10, 1719, aged 42."]
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044081208381&view=1up&seq=124&skin=2021&q1=harcourt
I suppose these could be descendants ...

"The eldest child was Ann Elizabeth (1832-16 March 1900), who married looking-glass maker, carver and gilder Harcourt Master Page (born c.1823), who had premises in the Haymarket, London. Harcourt died on 1 November 1867 and Ann carried on the business for a time, presumably unsuccessfully, for when she died she left effects of just £5. One of her children, Annie Edith (born 1855), married racehorse trainer and former jockey Joseph Mascall (or Maskell) Marsh. At the time of their marriage in 1880 Joseph was living at Rose Cottage, Ashtead. He trained ‘Placida’, winner of the 1877 Epsom Oaks, and later became a race starter, equine dentist and, apparently, a ‘horse hypnotist’. By 1901 Annie had disappeared from Joseph’s life and he claimed to have a new wife called Sarah, but she was in fact called Sarah Maria Brown and they were not married. Joseph’s elder brother, Richard, was a noted trainer and began his career at Banstead Manor, Epsom; he won the 1896 Derby with ‘Persimmon’, owned by the Prince of Wales. Richard’s son, Marcus Maskell Marsh, trained ‘Tulyar’, winner of the 1952 Derby and St Leger."

https://eehe.org.uk/?p=33399

See also:
https://williamsfamilytree.co.uk/tree/descend.php?personID=I90003&tree=wft
Will Johnson
2021-10-22 18:12:21 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
Post by Will Johnson
[...]
I wonder if this is Henry and Joanna as above?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/4fa22c2f-d9d1-46bc-aab2-dcae1ec26837
Will Johnson
2021-10-22 18:13:47 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
I wonder if this is Henry and Joanna as above?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/4fa22c2f-d9d1-46bc-aab2-dcae1ec26837
And again, dealing with Ashlyns

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/48ceef13-5467-4675-a782-50c36c99ee33