Mary Hussey, wife of Henry Howard
Alex Bannerman
2021-04-17 20:23:53 UTC
Dear Newsgroup ~
A month ago or so, we were discussing the identity of Ankaret (died
1389), 2nd wife of Henry Hussey (or Husee), of Harting, Sussex, and
the possibility of Ankaret might be the daughter of a Lord le Strange.
I pointed out that Mary Hussey, wife of Henry Howard, was possibly
Ankaret's grand-daughter.
I haven't made an exhaustive search of available sources on the Howard
family. However, to date I have located two sources that state that
Henry Howard's wife, Mary, was the daughter of Sir Henry Hussey [son
l. E. Brydges, Collins' Peerage of England 1 (1812): 50–143
(identifies wife Mary as "daughter of Sir Henry Hussey, of the County
of Sussex, Knight").
2. B. Burke Genealogical Hist. of Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited, and
Extinct Peerages (1883): 284 (sub Howard) (wife Mary called "dau. of
Sir Henry Hussey").
As best I can tell, Brydges often obtained his information on early
family members of peerage families from visitation manuscripts. As
such, I imagine somewhere out there there is a Howard visitation
pedigree that states that Henry Howard's wife, Mary, was the daughter
of Sir Henry Hussey, of Sussex.
For convenience sake, I've listed below the names of the colonial
immigrants who descend from Henry and Mary (Hussey) Howard.
- - - - - - - - - - -
List of colonial immigrants who descend from Henry Howard and his
l. Elizabeth Boteler.
2. Nathaniel Burrough.
3. William Clopton.
4. Anne Derehaugh.
5. Edmund Jennings.
6. Edmund, Edward, Richard, & Matthew Kempe.
7. Maria Johanna Somerset.
8. Jemima Waldegrave.
Doug (and all):

The line of Anne Derehaugh (Mrs. John Stratton) of Salem, MA (my line) is as follows:

1. Sir Henry Hussey, Kt., of Harting, Sussex, &c. = Constance _____
2. Mary Hussey = (1) John Teye, (2) Henry Howard, Esq. of Boxted, (3) Sir William Allington, Kt.
3. (by 2) Elizabeth Howard = Roger Timperley, (2) (as his 1st wife) Henry Wentworth of Cobham Hall
4. Margery Wentworth = Sir William Waldegrave, K.B. of Smallbridge, Suffolk, &c.
5. Dorothy Waldegrave = Sir John Spring, Kt., of Hitcham and Cockfield, Suffolk
6. Frances Spring = Edmund Wright, M.P., of Sutton Hall
7. Mary Wright = William Derehaugh of Colston Hall (ancestral of Lady Diana Spencer
8. Anne Derehaugh = John Stratton of Kirkton Hall (in Shotley), Suffolk

Jemima Waldegrave was Anne Derehaugh's 3rd cousin. Her lineage works thusly, with the first four generations being the same:

5. Anthony Waldegrave = Elizabeth Gray
6. Thomas Waldegrave = Elizabeth Gurdon
7. Thomas Waldegrave = Margaret Holmstead
8. Jemima Waldegrave = Herbert Pelham of Massachusetts

Another Immigrant descendant you didn't mention is Alice Apsley of Saybrook, CT, also a 3rd cousin of Anne and Jemima. Her line is as follows, again with the first four generations being the same:

5. Margaret Waldegrave = Sir John St. John
6. Alice St. John = Edmund Elmes
7. Elizabeth Elmes = Sir Edward Apsley
8. Alice Apsley = (1) Sir John Boteler, (2) George Fenwick of Saybrook

Notably, actors Maggie and Jake Gyllenhaal are descendants of this last line through:

6. Oliver St. John, 1st Baron of Bletso = Agnes Fisher
7. Margaret St. John = Sir Nicholas Luke
8. Anne Luke = Sir Miles Fleetwood
10 intervening generations
19. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal

Alex
Elizabeth A
2021-04-19 01:12:12 UTC
[...]
List of colonial immigrants who descend from Henry Howard and his
[...]
Hi Alex,

Is there a standard body of secondary-source literature for this Alice (Apsley) Fenwick? I haven't encountered her in several of the prominent immigrant origin compilations. While I don't believe I'm related to her, I would like more light shone on this Elmes-Apsley connection, which I believe is obliquely referenced multiple times in the Loseley Manuscripts.

-Elizabeth A