Some Temple Descendants in the Whitfield Family?
Add Reply
Johnny Brananas
2020-07-10 17:21:31 UTC
I've always wondered about the children of William Temple, "Merchant of London," son of Sir John Temple of Stowe and wife Susan Spencer. The pedigree chart of the Temple family published in John Nichols, _History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester_, just shows the name of William Temple, but no descendants.

Temple Prime, _Some Account of the Temple family_ gives only:

5. William Temple, married Jane, daughter of Sir Thomas Beaumont, of Stoughton, Kt.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112041753622&view=1up&seq=191&q1=beaumont

(I think it is specifically the accounts of the Beaumont family that call him "Merchant of London.")

William Temple certainly had children as the early/mid-1630s will of his brother Sir Thomas Temple mentions: "[To] Brother William Temple's daughter, my God daughter L10 and the rest of his children L5 each."

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89066362310&view=1up&seq=44&q1=penelope

I've looked at a few wills of various William Temples, without finding any match.

However, Clutterbuck, _Hertfordshire_, vol. 1, p. 190, has some helpful clues. A pedigree chart of the Whitfield family shows Sir Ralph Whitfield of Tenterden, Kent, married Dorothy Spelman, and had, with others:

Henry Whitfield, "born A.D. 1619, ob. 26 Oct. 1688, at Dublin"; married "Hester, dau. of William Temple, youngest son of Sir John Temple, Kt."

I'm not sure about William being the youngest son of John and Susan (Spencer) Temple. His mother, Susan's, will of 1611 mentions he is married without naming his wife.

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/20692-the-history-and-antiquities-of-the-county-of-hertford-vol-1-compiled-from-the-best-printed-authorities-and-original-records?viewer=1&offset=0#page=253&viewer=picture&o=info&n=0&q=

The Clutterbuck pedigree shows Henry and Hester (Temple) Whitfield with these children:

--Temple Whitfield, m. Elizabeth, daughter of John Osborne, Esq.
--Ralph Whitfield, m. [his cousin] Arbella, daughter of Sir Herbert Whitfield
--Thomas Whitfield, m. Alice, daughter of H. Martin, Esq.
--Henry Whitfield, m. (1) Mary, daughter of Lawrence Hodson, Esq.; (2) Abigail, daughter of John Gape, Esq.
--Elizabeth Whitfield, m. J. Bulkeley, Esq., son of Sir Richard Bulkeley, Bart.
--Dorothy Whitfield, m. (1) Sir Richard Bulkeley, Bart. (probable relation of the above?); m. (2) W. Worth
--Jane Whitfield, m. (1) Joseph Saunders, Esq.; (2) Richard Doyne, Chief Justice of Ireland
--Hadassah Whitfield, died young
--Charles Whitfield, died young

Most of these children married into Irish families, but at least the sons Temple and Henry were of London and Herts.
JBrand
2020-07-11 02:02:32 UTC
The Wikipedia entry for Henry and Hester shows some descendants in the nobility (Lords Arran) and Cecelia Underwood, the morganatic wife of HRH Frederick Augustus, Duke of Sussex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Whitfield_(lawyer)

(I noticed some differences in the list of children of Henry Whitfield).
JBrand
2020-07-11 15:20:09 UTC
These lines to the nobility and to the Duchess of Inverness via Whitfield (if correct) are personally quite interesting to me, as both my maternal grandparents were descended from the same Whitfield family via immigrants to New England. My grandfather was a descendant of Rev. Henry Whitfield (a different person, cousin to the other) and my grandmother was a descendant of Edmond Hawes, whose own grandmother Jane Whitfield was from the same agnate family.
JBrand
2020-07-12 01:17:02 UTC
It appear Edith Johnston-Liik, _History of the Irish Parliament_, confirms some of this (from snippets):

"28 July 1730 family/background: Son of Joseph Saunders of Co. Wexford and Jane, dau. of Henry Whitfield of Dublin (she mar. (2) [c. 1684] Rt Hon. Robert Doyne (0661)). MARRIED: [ ]. children: Jane, m. (1) William Worth, (2) Arthur Gore, 1st ..."
Johnny Brananas
2020-07-27 21:20:12 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
[...]
There is more evidence tending to support Clutterbuck's statement.

The August 1657 will of Thomas Hammond, Esq., of Byflett, Surrey, named his wife, "Mrs Martha Hammond," son Temple Hammond, brother Thomas Temple of Frankton [Warwickshire], and Henry Whitfield of Grey's Inn, Esq. Henry Whitfield and Hester Whitfield were witnesses to the will, along with Lucy Dingley and Gilbert Barrowe. Henry and Hester Whitfield also witnessed a codicil.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.c2771528&view=1up&seq=30&q1=whitfeild%20baber

Thomas Temple of Frankton, Warwickshire, was a son of John Temple, another brother of Sir Thomas Temple of Stowe and William Temple, apparent father of Hester Whitfield. John Temple of Frankton's will of 1642 mentions his son-in-law Thomas Hammond, husband of his daughter Susanna.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Some_Account_of_the_Temple_Family/YTpWAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=hammond

Elsewhere the book shows a 1636 marriage record for Thomas Hammond and Susanna Temple of Frankton.

By 1657, Susanna had apparently died and her widower Thomas Hammond had remarried to a Martha ____. He still called Thomas Temple of Frankton a brother, however, and was associating with William Temple's daughter Hester Whitfield and her husband Henry Whitfield.
JBrand
2020-07-28 00:10:45 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
Post by Johnny Brananas
[...]
The chart shows Thomas Hammond married to (1) Susanna Temple of Frankton; (2) Martha Temple. Also related to Dingleys.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Transformation_of_Anglicanism_1643_1/jBwNAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22thomas+hammond%22+susan+temple&pg=PA213&printsec=frontcover

Perhaps Martha was the niece named in the will of John Temple of Frankton, who was under age 21 in 1642? Could this be another daughter of William Temple and a sister of Hester (Temple) Whitfield? Under that scenario, Thomas Hammond would have married two first cousins.
Johnny Brananas
2020-07-28 13:51:15 UTC
a sister of Hester (Temple) Whitfield? Under that scenario, Thomas Hammond would have married two first cousins.

This would not really surprise me, given the pretty intense "clusterf***ery" demonstrated in that chart.

If it is correct, the descendants of Martha (Temple) Hammond might want to check out the possibility/ probability that William Temple's wife was Jane Beaumont from the Stoughton, Leicester, family.
Johnny Brananas
2020-07-28 14:15:57 UTC
Post by JBrand
a sister of Hester (Temple) Whitfield? Under that scenario, Thomas Hammond would have married two first cousins.
This would not really surprise me, given the pretty intense "clusterf***ery" demonstrated in that chart.
If it is correct, the descendants of Martha (Temple) Hammond might want to check out the possibility/ probability that William Temple's wife was Jane Beaumont from the Stoughton, Leicester, family.
Despite a Giffard and Temple marriage in that chart, there is no connection to the Ironworks people.

Margaret Temple who married John Gifford of Lynn in New England was from a co. Northumberland family (I think Nat Taylor is planning an article on that).