Where could I Find Medieval Scottish Records?
Josiah de la Motte
2020-08-07 15:35:53 UTC
Hello,

I am looking for validation of unsourced research done in the early 1900s of one of my supposed ancestors, Arthur de Lenfernat (many alternate spellings), who supposedly was a naval commander in Selkirk, Scotland, in 1352. This was also the place and the year that his son, François Oudin was married was supposedly married (that according to an 1819 publication), which leads me to believe that these facts about Arthur may have been stated in this marriage record. Does anyone have any idea where this 1352 Selkirk marriage record could be located? They were minor nobility.

Thanks so much,
Josiah de la Motte
Nathan Murphy
2020-08-08 02:43:27 UTC
Does anyone have any idea where this 1352 Selkirk marriage record could be located? They were minor nobility.
Post by Josiah de la Motte
Thanks so much,
Josiah de la Motte
Josiah,

Marriage dispensations are one source of marriage information for that period:

W.H. Bliss, ed., Calendar of entries in the Papal Registers Relating to Great Britain and Ireland. Petitions to the Pope [1342-1419] (London, 1896) https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000905080

Nathan
Josiah de la Motte
2020-08-08 20:06:37 UTC
I didn’t find anything, but thanks so much for the suggestion! It could be because both men were French nobles.
Post by Josiah de la Motte
Does anyone have any idea where this 1352 Selkirk marriage record could be located? They were minor nobility.
Post by Josiah de la Motte
Thanks so much,
Josiah de la Motte
Josiah,