passengers of the ship Assurance July 1635
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2018-04-06 17:58:41 UTC
My mother said her family arrived here on the ship Assurance in 1634 in What would become Virginia.
g***@icloud.com
2019-02-07 02:57:06 UTC
I just learned some family history on my grandfather's father's side and found that Richard Kirby was one of the first Kirby's to said on the Assurance from England in 1635. They landed in Boston and Richard lived in Lynn, MA till he moved to Sandwich, MA then to Dartmouth, MA which later became Westport, MA. Not sure of the years when he moved but that's some information I'm going to try to find out. Pretty cool stuff.
Wibs
2019-02-07 18:00:26 UTC
I see the Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, now covers 1620-1640. It is available in hardcover for $64.95 or there is an ebook at $54.99

https://shop.americanancestors.org/collections/top-sellers/products/the-great-migration-directory?pass-through=true

Does it cover Virginia?

Wibs
P J Evans
No, it's just New England (subtitle: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1640). It has indexes for European and American locations as well as ship names.
taf
2019-02-07 19:43:40 UTC
Post by Wibs
I see the Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, now covers 1620-1640. It is available in hardcover for $64.95 or there is an ebook at $54.99
https://shop.americanancestors.org/collections/top-sellers/products/the-great-migration-directory?pass-through=true
Does it cover Virginia?
No, just Massachusetts (incl. what is now Maine), New Hampshire and Connecticut. It includes some Long Islanders who came via the northeastern colonies, and likewise only includes Virginians who also appear in the north.

2019-02-07 21:06:41 UTC
Post by Wibs
I see the Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, now covers 1620-1640. It is available in hardcover for $64.95 or there is an ebook at $54.99
https://shop.americanancestors.org/collections/top-sellers/products/the-great-migration-directory?pass-through=true
Does it cover Virginia?
No, just Massachusetts (incl. what is now Maine), New Hampshire and Connecticut. It includes some Long Islanders who came via the northeastern colonies, and likewise only includes Virginians who also appear in the north.
Oops, I left out Rhode Island.

While the term New England was used in the 17th century for all of the Anglo-American colonies, including Virginia, in this case it is used in the modern sense, immigrants to the region of the future USA northeast of New York: the colonies of New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Plymouth, Rhode Island and Providence, Connecticut, Saybrook, New Haven.

taf
j***@yahoo.com
2019-08-11 08:07:10 UTC
From the little I know of the voyage of the Assurance from Gravesend, England on or about July 25, 1635, the ship was bound for Virginia and the West Indies. By Virginia I believe it is meant Jamestown. Regarding this voyage, I am interested in a passenger on the Assurance from London (Gravesend) to Jamestown in July, 1635. His name was Joseph Humfres (listed in a posted passenger list as Humfres, Jo.). I found his name on a posted passenger list and he appears to be a relative. I would like some verification to my stated understanding stated above, I would also like to find information about the ship itself. Any suggestions would be welcome.