passengers of the ship Assurance July 1635
Add Reply
g***@gmail.com
2018-04-06 17:58:41 UTC
My mother said her family arrived here on the ship Assurance in 1634 in What would become Virginia.
g***@icloud.com
2019-02-07 02:57:06 UTC
I just learned some family history on my grandfather's father's side and found that Richard Kirby was one of the first Kirby's to said on the Assurance from England in 1635. They landed in Boston and Richard lived in Lynn, MA till he moved to Sandwich, MA then to Dartmouth, MA which later became Westport, MA. Not sure of the years when he moved but that's some information I'm going to try to find out. Pretty cool stuff.
Wibs
2019-02-07 18:00:26 UTC
I see the Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, now covers 1620-1640. It is available in hardcover for $64.95 or there is an ebook at $54.99

https://shop.americanancestors.org/collections/top-sellers/products/the-great-migration-directory?pass-through=true

Does it cover Virginia?

Wibs
P J Evans
No, it's just New England (subtitle: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1640). It has indexes for European and American locations as well as ship names.
taf
2019-02-07 19:43:40 UTC
Post by Wibs
I see the Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, now covers 1620-1640. It is available in hardcover for $64.95 or there is an ebook at $54.99
https://shop.americanancestors.org/collections/top-sellers/products/the-great-migration-directory?pass-through=true
Does it cover Virginia?
No, just Massachusetts (incl. what is now Maine), New Hampshire and Connecticut. It includes some Long Islanders who came via the northeastern colonies, and likewise only includes Virginians who also appear in the north.

2019-02-07 21:06:41 UTC
Post by Wibs
I see the Great Migration Directory, Immigrants to New England, now covers 1620-1640. It is available in hardcover for $64.95 or there is an ebook at $54.99
https://shop.americanancestors.org/collections/top-sellers/products/the-great-migration-directory?pass-through=true
Does it cover Virginia?
No, just Massachusetts (incl. what is now Maine), New Hampshire and Connecticut. It includes some Long Islanders who came via the northeastern colonies, and likewise only includes Virginians who also appear in the north.
Oops, I left out Rhode Island.

While the term New England was used in the 17th century for all of the Anglo-American colonies, including Virginia, in this case it is used in the modern sense, immigrants to the region of the future USA northeast of New York: the colonies of New Hampshire, Massachusetts Bay, Plymouth, Rhode Island and Providence, Connecticut, Saybrook, New Haven.

taf
j***@yahoo.com
2019-08-11 08:07:10 UTC
From the little I know of the voyage of the Assurance from Gravesend, England on or about July 25, 1635, the ship was bound for Virginia and the West Indies. By Virginia I believe it is meant Jamestown. Regarding this voyage, I am interested in a passenger on the Assurance from London (Gravesend) to Jamestown in July, 1635. His name was Joseph Humfres (listed in a posted passenger list as Humfres, Jo.). I found his name on a posted passenger list and he appears to be a relative. I would like some verification to my stated understanding stated above, I would also like to find information about the ship itself. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Regards,
Jim Robinson ***@yahoo.com
s***@gmail.com
2020-05-19 18:04:37 UTC
(snipped)
Henry George and son John George came to America in boat "Assurance" in
July 1635 and brought 221 passengers of distinguished families with
them. They may have even paid for their passage. The George family is
armigerous.
(snipped)
Who were those 221 passengers on the "Assurance?"
This looks like a question for the Great Migration Project.
Robert Charles Anderson has just published the first three volumes
which are being sold by NEHGS
Their online web sales catalog
http://www.nehgs.org/saletext.htm
is from last winter so it does not have the books listed yet.
It may have been described in their NEXUS news publication.
Incidently, the ship Assurance and the family George does not show up
in _The Planters of The Commonwealth_ by Charles Edward Banks pub. 1930.
So where is the Assurance arriving (I assumed Boston)
and what is your source?
Best Regards,
72 Center St., Groveland, Mass. 01834 (508)475-9090x1678(work)
http://oasys.drc.com/~blackwell/blqltoc.htm Blackwell Genealogy Notebook.
My ancestor William Ruffin III was a passenger on the July 1635 sailing of Assurance, arriving into Virginia. Source: researched family genealogy.
Contact: ***@gmail.com.
Bronwen Edwards
2020-07-20 01:11:42 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
I also have an ancestor, Richard Glover, who sailed to Virginia in 1635 on the Assurance. He presumably built up his family in Virginia but continued sailing. He died at sea near Sulawesi in 1684. Information on the Assurance and several pages of passengers can be found on anc.com, apparently a compilation they did, called "Passengers to America".