Edmund Sandford
guineapi...@gmail.com
2021-01-19 15:12:11 UTC
Dear members,
Does anyone know the correct parentage of Edmund Sandford of Askham or Helton, Westmorland? He is said to have died in 1377. He married Idonea English who died 1420, and they were the parents of Idonea Sandford (living 1414) who married William Thornburgh ( living 1421). Any help appreciated! Is anyone actively researching the ancestry of General James Cudworth of Scituate, MA?
Nancy
Mary Morgan
2021-01-21 16:41:11 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Dear members,
Does anyone know the correct parentage of Edmund Sandford of Askham or Helton, Westmorland? He is said to have died in 1377. He married Idonea English who died 1420, and they were the parents of Idonea Sandford (living 1414) who married William Thornburgh ( living 1421). Any help appreciated! Is anyone actively researching the ancestry of General James Cudworth of Scituate, MA?
Nancy
There is a pedigree of Sandford of Askham facing p. 232 of this article
Ragg, Frederick W., Helton Flechan, Askham and Sandford of Askam, Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, n.s.,Vol. 21 (1921), pp. 174-233.
https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-2055-1/dissemination/pdf/Article_Level_Pdf/tcwaas/002/1921/vol21/tcwaas_002_1921_vol21_0014.pdf
guineapi...@gmail.com
2021-01-21 20:38:45 UTC
Post by Mary Morgan
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
Thank you, Mary. This agrees with most of the online trees, and Mr. Wragg was a careful researcher .
Nancy
wjhonson
2021-01-22 17:51:11 UTC
There are by the way, dozens and dozens of extant documents for this family on A2A
taf
2021-01-22 19:42:47 UTC
There are by the way, dozens and dozens of extant documents for this family on A2A
Which doesn't really exist as a distinct entity any longer - now part of The National Archives' Discovery catalogue.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I call it that because I go to Google and type "Access to Archives" and there it is
ps bumppo
2021-06-09 15:30:27 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Dear members,
Does anyone know the correct parentage of Edmund Sandford of Askham or Helton, Westmorland? He is said to have died in 1377. He married Idonea English who died 1420, and they were the parents of Idonea Sandford (living 1414) who married William Thornburgh ( living 1421). Any help appreciated! Is anyone actively researching the ancestry of General James Cudworth of Scituate, MA?
Nancy
Hi Nancy,

Did you get anywhere on your Cudworth query? I just received a message from Douglas Richardson, through facebook, that the Mary Machell he identifies as the wife of Ralph Cudworth, so thus the mother of General James Cudworth. is correct as he has stated in the past, the child of Matthew Machell and Mary Lewknor. The criticism of this identification by Adrienne Boaz is dismissed by Richardson.
John Higgins
2021-06-09 18:48:37 UTC
Post by ps bumppo
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
Ho-hum.... It's no surprise that Richardson criticizes Boaz's criticism of Richardson's identification of Mary Machell.

I'll repeat what I said when you raised this issue last May in this group:

"This matter has been discussed at length a number of times in this group. There are strongly held opinions on both sides. My personal opinion FWIW continues to be that neither alternative for the parentage of Mary Machell has been sufficiently proved."