Inquisition Post Mortem question
Add Reply
k***@aapt.net.au
2019-07-24 06:32:35 UTC
Hi
I have a copy of the transcript of the IPM of Geoffrey Roucle 13 Richard II [1390]. The Writ is dated 29 March 13 Richard II and the Inq was taken 7 April Richard II. It then goes on to say Geoffrey died on Palm Sunday 27 March last.

Did Geoffrey die on 27 March 1390 or 27 March 1389? Would the writ have been issued two days after his death or was it issued the year after he died?

Many thanks for any assistance.
Peter Stewart
2019-07-24 08:24:27 UTC
Post by k***@aapt.net.au
Hi
I have a copy of the transcript of the IPM of Geoffrey Roucle 13 Richard II [1390]. The Writ is dated 29 March 13 Richard II and the Inq was taken 7 April Richard II. It then goes on to say Geoffrey died on Palm Sunday 27 March last.
Did Geoffrey die on 27 March 1390 or 27 March 1389? Would the writ have been issued two days after his death or was it issued the year after he died?
Palm Sunday fell on 27 March in 1390 - in 1389 it was on 11 April.

Peter Stewart
k***@aapt.net.au
2019-07-24 08:38:59 UTC
Thanks Peter, at last I can give Geoffrey his correct year of death. I guess that means they issued the writ only two days after his death.

Thanks again
Peter Stewart
2019-07-24 09:01:19 UTC
Post by k***@aapt.net.au
Thanks Peter, at last I can give Geoffrey his correct year of death. I guess that means they issued the writ only two days after his death.
I suppose writs for IPMs were issued as soon as the chancery clerks
learned of each tenant-in-chief's death, variable according to their
efficiency at different times - being English, and medieval, this would
not usually be spectacular. An interval of just two days would suggest
that he died at court or fairly nearby.