Girls For Sex Spam
p***@yahoo.ca
2019-08-27 16:37:28 UTC
I thought this was taken care of. I'm having to go through each message and click it for spam.
P J Evans
2019-08-27 16:41:32 UTC
I've been doing that since it first showed up.
taf
2019-08-27 21:01:37 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.ca
I thought this was taken care of. I'm having to go through each message and click it for spam.
Many of them are being deleted, but this does not happen to all of them, and it doesn't happen immediately but rather often the next day.

Because the poster is switching email addresses, there is no way to block in advance. Clearly Google is using some sort of algorithm that is not catching all of them, but then a lot of them don't have any actionable content, just an offensive subject line. Given this, I am still ambivalent about the intent - that most of the messages have no 'marketing' content has me half convinced that this is simple harassment, either of this group or of the owners of the email addresses the poster is spoofing, rather than traditional spam. Whatever their motivation, they show no signs of stopping, and the only way of completely blocking it would be to shut off the whole group.

taf
Ian Goddard
2019-08-28 12:03:08 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.ca
[...]
I haven't seen any of these for ages. On investigating is seems that
even if they're using multiple addresses they're still spamming to one
thread. So why haven't I seen any?

1. I don't view them through Google Groups, I use a newsgroup server.
As it happens my ISP provides one as part of the service bundle but even
if they didn't there are other, very inexpensive (even by Yorkshire
standards!) alternatives.

2. My newsgroup client* has an option to ignore threads. All I have to
do is hit k (for kill) and the thread disappears from the list. If I
want a thread to reappear I can click View>Threads>Ignored Threads and
all the ignored threads are shown again. If I want to no longer ignore
one of them I simply type k again to toggle its ignored status and then
reset the View option.

* In this case it's the Mail & Newsgroups function of Seamonkey, the
descendant of the old Netscape suite. Thunderbird, however, will do
exactly the same job as a standalone application.

TL;DR Don't beat your head against a brick wall. There are better
options than Google Groups.

Ian
wjhonson
2019-08-29 17:32:51 UTC
Using Google Groups, in the top left area, there will be something like "100 messages from 18 authors". There is a tiny arrow next to that. If you click that, and report the *entire thread* for abuse, you will stop seeing it.
p***@yahoo.ca
2019-08-30 14:34:04 UTC
Finally the spam has been blocked.