2021-09-08 03:36:05 UTC
I have never had much luck figuring out the Devereux family. I started down this path is trying to understand the interconnections among certain families: Morgan, Vaughan, Devereux, de le Bere, Herbert, Wogan, and Harewell. Looking at Devereux recently I noticed Wikipedia had:
William Devereux, d. 1265 at Evesham as the son of a daughter of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, and Maud Marshal.
I find no such marriage in Magna Carta Ancestry. The claimed support is The Welsh Assize Roll, 1277-1284. (Cardiff: University of Wales, 1940), p. 341 Membrane 44. In effect it appears this source says William, son of William Devereux, claiming against Roger Bigod, Earl ... half of one knight’s fee in Runston and the vill of St. Petr in Netherwent as his right, whereof he says William Devereux, his father, was seised in the time of King Henry III. … into which as the Earl did not have entry, except by the disseisin, which Roger Bigod, his uncle, did therein to William Devereux, the father of William who now claims. This is read to suggest Roger Bigod was William Devereux’s uncle and therefore his mother was a daughter of Hugh Bigod. I do not have access to the original, but I read it to suggest Earl Roger’s uncle Roger Bigod took the interests from William’s father. Thoughts on this and the following line from this William Devereux (d. 1265)) are appreciated:
1. William Devereux (c. 1244–1314) of Lyonshall = Alice Grandison.
2. Walter Devereux (c 1266 - 1305) = Margery de Braose.
3A John Devereux of Manne (1302- )
4. Sir John Devereux K.G. (- 1393) of Whitchurch Maund.
3B. Stephen Devereux (c 1290 - 1350 ) of Bodenham and Burghope = Cicely.
4. William Devereux (c. 1315 -1377) of Bodenham = Anne, daughter of Sir John Barre.
5. Sir Walter Devereux of Bodenham (c 1339 -1383) married Maud. Member of Parliament, sheriff, and Justice of the Peace for Hereford.
6A Ann Devereux = Roger Vaughan the elder
7. Sir Roger Vaughan (1377-1415) died Agincourt with his father -in-law. Married Gwladus Verch Dafyd Gam
6B Sir Walter Devereux of Bodenham ( - 25 July 1402) m. Agnes Crophull. Member of Parliament, sheriff, and Justice of the Peace for Hereford.
7. Sir Walter Devereux (1387–1419) married about 1409 to Elizabeth Maud Bromwich, daughter of Sir Thomas Bromwich. Fought at Agincourt along with his cousin Sir Roger Vaughan.
8. Sir Walter Devereux (1411 – 22 April 1459), Lord Chancellor of Ireland, married Elizabeth Merbury.
9A. Anne (c. 1430 – after 25 June 1486) married William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke stepson of Sir Roger Vaughan and half-brother of Thomas, Walkin/Walter and Elizabeth Vaughan.
9B Walter Devereaux Lord Ferrers of Chartley in right of his wife (c.1432 – 22 August 1485). Killed fighting for Richard III at Bosworth Field.
I think 7-9B are supportable, at least Richardson agrees. 6A back is not all that clear.