Joan Brito wife of Alan de Goldingham
s***@gmail.com
2019-07-01 11:48:09 UTC
Hello all,

In 2009 John Watson posted an account of the Brito family under the heading Joan, wife of Robert de Hilton, referring inter alia to the Eye Cartulary.
I am intrigued by what appears to be an omission, that of an earlier Joan. The introduction to the Eye Cartulary (1)states that "probably in the late 1230s William son of William Brito gave his sister Joan in free-marriage to Alan son of John de Goldingham." Yet in the account in the 2009 post there is no mention of this elder Joan, only of the younger, wife of Robert de Hilton and one of the three daughters of William son of William Brito - the others being the twice-married Nicole, and Aline, wife of William de Goldingham of Belstead, to whom she brought Chigwell.
Is the earlier Joan Brito, wife of Alan de Goldingham (to whom she brought Gislingham), of a different Brito family - and if so, which? Or was she simply omitted from the account and subsequent discussion in 2009?

Saba Risaluddin
s***@gmail.com
2019-07-01 11:52:07 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
apologies, I forgot to include the reference:
Vivien Brown (ed), The Eye Priory cartularies and charters, part 2, 71