Link to Blakiston (of Gibside)
Add Reply
J W Knight
2020-07-24 19:57:49 UTC
Hello,

I know this may fall slightly outside of the medieval window, but I am trying to see if there is a link between my Blakiston ancestors and the Blakiston family of Gibside.

What I have so far is:

Me
many generations
Anne BLAKISTON, bapt 2 Nov 1684, Houghton le Spring, Co Durham
Cuthbert BLAKISTON, bapt 10 Sept 1643, Whickham, Co Durham
William BLAKISTON...

The line from Anne down to me is solid, connecting the dots further back gets a bit tricky.

Cuthbert Blakiston and his wife Margaret had several children baptised between Washington and Houghton between 1673 and 1690 (including my Anne). The first leap is accepting that the Cuthbert mentioned as the father in the baptisms of 1673-90 is the same Cuthbert that was baptised in 1643 in Whickham. Now there weren't many Cuthbert Blakiston's around and there is no burial record for an infant Cuthbert anywhere so let's say we accept him for now.

Cuthbert baptised in 1643 has a father named as William. There are other records to William's children in Whickham at the time as follows -

William, bapt 1635
Lionel, buried 1637
James, bapt 1638
Isabel, bapt 1640
Thomas, bapt 1641
Cuthbert, bapt 1643

Now there are many trees erroneously stating that the William Blakiston who is the father of these children is William Blakiston of Shieldrow, born 1616 (son of Nicholas Blakiston, son of Sir William Blakiston), and his wife Dorothy Lawson. But this cannot be true as THAT William had children baptised in Tanfield, not Whickham, between 1646-58.

The more likely candidate (in my opinion) is the uncle of 1616 William, William Blakiston (born 1604), brother of Nicholas Blakiston. There was a brother named Lionel (born 1603), and the Whickham William buried a child named Lionel in 1637 as I mentioned above.

According to British History Online (Loading Image...), Sir William Blakiston's will of 6 Oct 1641 mentions that his son William (born 1604) was still alive in 1641, so that could be further evidence that he is the father of the children baptised in Whickham at that time. I have no information about the identity of his wife.

Does anyone have any more detailed information about the Blakiston family at this time, and information that could verify or debunk the hypothesis I have mentioned? There are many Blakiston family trees online but most are unsourced and simply messy guesswork. I accept that there has to be some balance of probability assumptions from time to time but I am not willing to link my family tree to such a wide reaching family without being absolutely sure there is a link there to begin with.

Hopefully this post will be helpful to anyone else looking into the Blakiston family also, the William Blakiston born in 1604 is a loose end that needs tying up in any case.

Thanks so much

Jack Knight
Darcie Posz
2020-07-25 10:47:58 UTC
According to British History Online (https://www.british-history.ac.uk/sites/default/files/publications/pubid-455/images/fig89.gif), Sir William Blakiston's will of 6 Oct 1641 mentions that his son William (born 1604) was still alive in 1641, so that could be further evidence that he is the father of the children baptised in Whickham at that time. I have no information about the identity of his wife.
Does anyone have any more detailed information about the Blakiston family at this time, and information that could verify or debunk the hypothesis I have mentioned? There are many Blakiston family trees online but most are unsourced and simply messy guesswork. I accept that there has to be some balance of probability assumptions from time to time but I am not willing to link my family tree to such a wide reaching family without being absolutely sure there is a link there to begin with.
Hopefully this post will be helpful to anyone else looking into the Blakiston family also, the William Blakiston born in 1604 is a loose end that needs tying up in any case.
Thanks so much
Jack Knight
Hi Jack:

I am a descendant of William Blakiston (will 1641) through his son Nicholas. Nicholas had children baptized in both Whickham and Tanfield (about five miles away).

The identities of several men in the same area with a similar name were also merged in my Hind/Blakiston case. When I constructed timelines for all of them it became evident that there were several and I was able to place them properly within the pedigree. This was on the Durham and Northumberland county border for several generations.

Like your hypothesized line of descent, several generations were in online trees (publications like the link you embedded) and then was no longer documented.

You may try:
Surtees, Wills & Inventories from the Registry at Durham, Part 2, page 63-64; Surtees, History & Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham, vol. 2, pages 174, 222, 230-231, 255
Records of the Comm. for Comp. Delinq. Royals, 1643-1660, pages 309-310

Durham Records Online and FamilySearch had many of the originals available. Residence, signatures, and dates. I used transcribe tax lists and the probates to see if he was listed as a witness from Durham University: http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/

The Surtees collection is available on Internet Archive with a description of the collection here: https://fmg.ac/projects/surtees-parishes

Hope there is something useful!
Darcie Hind Posz
J W Knight
2020-07-26 13:21:12 UTC
Post by Darcie Posz
Post by J W Knight
[...]
Hi Darcie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

The Blakistons in the 1600s are really very messy and hard to pin point which William is which and which George is which etc., so I commend you for having been able to successfully do this with your family!

I will be taking a look at all the available sources you mentioned and hopefully will be able to do the same, but it may be a case of not being able to prove my hypothesis either way. In any case I'll certainly give it a good go.

I also notice that proving descent from Jane Lambton (wife of Sir William Blakiston) would lead to being descended from Edward IV, as she appears to be descended from his illegitimate daughter Margaret. So this is something I absolutely do not want to add without being sure I'm right to a decent standard.

There is a marriage of a William Blakiston in Gateshead to Isabel Bell in 1634, this may be the William who is the father of all the children I mentioned including my Cuthbert (1643), but I cannot be sure yet. As you say, like many others, the William (born 1604) from the Blakiston pedigree seems to disappear from records after being mentioned as living in his father's will of 1641. Proving this William and the father of Cuthbert are one in the same will be difficult I feel.

Thanks so much

Jack