Colonial Maryland OT - Griffith/Willett
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-19 05:25:27 UTC
My 6th great-grandfather, William Willett of Prince George's County, Maryland, married a Mary Griffith, whose origins are somewhat murky. She has been suggested to be a daughter of William Griffith and Comfort Duvall (without much in the way of suppporting evidence), or of a William Griffith of Dorchester County (who seems likely too young to be her father and names a daughter "Mary Griffith" in his will of 1756, when Mary (Griffith) Willett had been married for over 20 years). Since I know at least a few posters here have Willett lines in colonial Maryland I thought I'd see if anyone might have information as to the origins of this Mary Griffith (I descend from her daughter Mary Willett, who married William Childs, son of Henry Childs and Jemima Pottenger).
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-19 12:07:05 UTC
I'm a lineal descendant of William Willett, of Prince George"s County, Maryland and his wife, Mary Griffith. Some years ago Mary Louise Donnelly published a book entitled Edward Willett, colonial Maryland Pewterer. She reported a contemporary record which indicated that Mary Griffith was the sister of George Griffith. I don't immediately have further particulars. I hope this is helpful.