Elizabeth Hilton Thimbleby
m***@yahoo.com
2007-10-30 05:28:52 UTC
In Most books as of late Elizabeth Hilton wife of Richard Thimbleby
Esq. Was given a death date ranging from 1496 to 1522 that can now be
narrowed down by 12 yrs as she was alive as late as Michaelmas 1508/9
when she was named with her Husband Richard Thimbleby and his Son John
Thimbleby and his wife Margaret.

Yorkshire Fines.
1508-9-HILARY TERM, 24 HENRY VII.
Humphrey Conyngsby, serjeant at law, and And his wife Robert
Brudenell, one of the Justices of the Court of Common Pleas, Richard
Thymelby and Elizabeth his wife, and John Thymelby, son and heir of
Richard, and Margaret his wife 60s rent in Ellerton upon Darwent.

So now we can say two things that Richard wife Elizabeth was still
living as of 1508/9 and 2nd that Richard and and Elizabeth son John
was already married to his wife Margaret dau of John Boys.

Thank You.

Mike Welch
Douglas Richardson
2007-10-30 06:20:26 UTC
Dear Mike ~

Thanks for the great post.

The 24th year of the reign of Henry VII ran from to 1508 to 1509, as
you state. But Hilary Term, 24 Henry VII (which is the date of the
fine which you've cited in your post) commenced on 23 January 1509
(modern year), and ended 12 February 1509 (modern year). Thus,
Elizabeth Hilton, wife of Richard Thimbleby, Esq., was living as late
as Jan. 1509 (or if we double date 1508/9).

The fine in question can be found at the following weblink:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49621&strquery=%22Humphrey%20Conyngsby%22

I should tell you, however, that you've confused me a bit. In your
post, you say that Elizabeth (Hilton) Thimbleby was living as late as
Michaelmas 1509/9, then you give a date of Hilary term, 24 Henry VII
for the fine. I know the Hilary date in 24 Henry VII is the correct
date of the fine. But where did you get the date Michaelmas 1508/9?
Is that just a typo? Please clarify.

<