OT: Riggin or Regan in colonial Maryland
Bronwen Edwards
2019-08-15 22:08:03 UTC
I have a Mary Riggin, said to be daughter of James Riggin, son of John Riggin. I keep getting suggestions regarding a "Teague" Riggin. Is it possible that this name may be the same as a James and/or a John? Thank you in advance.
P J Evans
2019-08-15 23:52:43 UTC
I've seen "Teague" used for "James" in other records involving Irish men. (I think it may also appear as "Tadg" in Irish sources.)
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-16 01:36:54 UTC
My 4th great grandmother, Amia (Riggin) White, of Kent County, Delaware, is a lineal descendant of the 17th Century New World immigrant, Teague Riggin (died 1707), of Somerset County, Maryland, and his wife, Mary London. If your Mary Riggin is from Maryland or Delaware, she likely goes back to Teague Riggin.

Bronwen Edwards
2019-08-16 03:43:08 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
My 4th great grandmother, Amia (Riggin) White, of Kent County, Delaware, is a lineal descendant of the 17th Century New World immigrant, Teague Riggin (died 1707), of Somerset County, Maryland, and his wife, Mary London. If your Mary Riggin is from Maryland or Delaware, she likely goes back to Teague Riggin.
My Riggin is Mary Riggin, 28 Aug 1683 Charles Co., MD-aft. 1710 VA., who m. Samuel Durham. Daughter of James Riggin, 1659 MD-1697 MD & Joan, d. 1692 in ?North Carolina. This James was son of John Riggin, said to have been a bricklayer, & Mary Pegram. It is this John who has most often been called "Teague" in my research & has been given Mary London as wife, not Pegram. My references were MARYLAND GENEAL. SOC. BULLETIN, 34, 1993, p. 94;
ABSTRACTS OF CHARLES CO., MD, COURT & LAND RECORDS, 1694-1722, Vol. 3, p. 30;
DEATH REGISTER FOR ST. PAUL'S PARISH, STAFFORD CO., VA.

The Riggins are in my stepfather's genealogy which I have spent some years working on. So you may be a distant cousin of his. He died in 1996, so did not live to find out anything I found on his forebears. His name was Richard Franklin Edwards with a mother named Pauline Evans. So, Welsh, through & through - he assumed. After his death, I found Huguenots, Amish, Scots, English, possibly even Sephardic Jews, but no Welsh until you get into the beginning of the modern era. I have not been able to find out much about his earliest-known Edwards ancestor - b. c. 1865-d. bef. 1897 (his wife listed as widow in a special state census in Utah). How ironic that the one thing I can't find is his recent Welsh ancestry. Both Edwards & Evans lines have not been extended to Europe. Thank you for your answer to my question & the additional information. Bronwen Edwards
Bronwen Edwards
2019-08-16 03:44:52 UTC
Post by P J Evans
Post by Bronwen Edwards
I have a Mary Riggin, said to be daughter of James Riggin, son of John Riggin. I keep getting suggestions regarding a "Teague" Riggin. Is it possible that this name may be the same as a James and/or a John? Thank you in advance.
I've seen "Teague" used for "James" in other records involving Irish men. (I think it may also appear as "Tadg" in Irish sources.)
Thank you for the information. I've seen Teague/Tadg/Tadhg in various things, but never associated them with James. Bronwen Edwards