Evident error in BHO re Salle, Norfolk
2019-08-03 18:23:01 UTC
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol8/pp269-276

Says that that John Fountain who married Mary Brigge and thus became holder of Salle, Norfolk, was the one who was sergeant-at-law and died in 1671. They were the parents of Brigge Fountayne of Salle who died 6 Aug 1661 "aet 64" M.I. Narford

I believe the death year of 1671 is not correct.

Arthur /Fountayne/ of Salle, co Norf; esq and his wife Frances /Pagrave/ had *three* sons: John, Arthur and Martin

This eldest son John is the one who married Mary Brigge.
The second son Arthur was of Dalling and it was he, who was the father of that John Fountayne who died 4 Jun 1671 "aetatis 70" M.I. at Salle, co Norf

His M.I. is laid out here

http://books.google.com/books?id=OxsNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA84
Andrew Lancaster
Does the parish burial register survive for this burial? I seem to recall it does. I have connections to Salle and had the opportunity to visit the lovely parish church.
Andrew Lancaster
2019-08-08 11:50:34 UTC
The images are here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1824688
The 670 burial of my ancestor Roger Howmans, cleric, appears on scan 16 of 112. That page is signed off by John Fountaine, churchwarden. Unfortunately the next page show burials for 675. Well worth looking through though as these early years do not have many entries, and many are Fountaines.
taf
2019-08-08 10:06:58 UTC
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol8/pp269-276
Says that that John Fountain who married Mary Brigge and thus became holder of Salle, Norfolk, was the one who was sergeant-at-law and died in 1671. They were the parents of Brigge Fountayne of Salle who died 6 Aug 1661 "aet 64" M.I. Narford
I believe the death year of 1671 is not correct.
Arthur /Fountayne/ of Salle, co Norf; esq and his wife Frances /Pagrave/ had *three* sons: John, Arthur and Martin
This eldest son John is the one who married Mary Brigge.
The second son Arthur was of Dalling and it was he, who was the father of that John Fountayne who died 4 Jun 1671 "aetatis 70" M.I. at Salle, co Norf
His M.I. is laid out here
http://books.google.com/books?id=OxsNAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA84
How about we blame the source, rather than the hosting service - this is an error in Blomefield's An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk (1808).