De Reigny or Rayny Family of Eggesford
Loren Varga
2021-09-13 20:39:23 UTC
Dear Group. There was a William Bury of Collyton who married an Agnes Rayny daughter of John Rayny of nearby Eggesford. Dated to around mid 1400's

Is there anything know about this Rayny (De Reigny) Family of Eggesford?

Regards:
Loren
taf
2021-09-14 15:39:37 UTC
Post by Loren Varga
Dear Group. There was a William Bury of Collyton who married an Agnes Rayny daughter of John Rayny of nearby Eggesford. Dated to around mid 1400's
Is there anything know about this Rayny (De Reigny) Family of Eggesford?
The 1564 Visitation of Devon gave a long descent for them in the pedigree of Copleston of Bicton. Unfortunately, it gives six successive John Reignys, with no chronological benchmarks to help narrow down which would be the father of Agnes (plus, of course, these long pedigrees in visitations always have to be viewed skeptically).

A Google Books search identifies an article in Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries, vol. 36, that discusses the family of John Rayny of Eggesford, d. 1480, but I can only see a snippet so I can't tell the article's title, precise subject or much of what is said, only that it includes a pedigree with this John at the top with at least three children (whose branches I see but their names are outside the snippet).

https://books.google.com/books?id=osMbAAAAMAAJ&q=reigny+eggesford&dq=reigny+eggesford&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjP0dyH4v7yAhVDqJ4KHQQqAD8Q6AF6BAgHEAI

taf
Will Johnson
2021-09-15 01:41:07 UTC
Eggesford is being dealt with by the Coplestone and Stewkley families in the 15th and 16th century, which makes sense. However I believe that *this* is that Richard Reigney who was the father of Anne (Reigney) Coplestone

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9696617

https://books.google.com/books?id=Nio6AQAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=visitation%20devon%201564&pg=PA68#v=onepage&q&f=true
Will Johnson
2021-09-15 01:42:59 UTC
Eggesford is being dealt with by the Coplestone and Stewkley families in the 15th and 16th century, which makes sense. However I believe that *this* is that Richard Reigney who was the father of Anne (Reigney) Coplestone
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9696617
https://books.google.com/books?id=Nio6AQAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=visitation%20devon%201564&pg=PA68#v=onepage&q&f=true
I want to withdraw.

Examining the chronology, I think this Richard is that one seven generations earlier per the Vis Devon cited
taf
2021-09-15 05:16:58 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Eggesford is being dealt with by the Coplestone and Stewkley families in the 15th and 16th century, which makes sense. However I believe that *this* is that Richard Reigney who was the father of Anne (Reigney) Coplestone
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9696617
https://books.google.com/books?id=Nio6AQAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=visitation%20devon%201564&pg=PA68#v=onepage&q&f=true
I want to withdraw.
Examining the chronology, I think this Richard is that one seven generations earlier per the Vis Devon cited
Pole says that Richard in the pedigree appeared 19 Edw. III, a good fit with the Richard of 1343 in the Discovery document you cite.

At a minimum, the pedigree is incomplete. The SW Heritage Trust (formerly Dev. Rec. Off.) has a will dated 1520 for William Reigny, clerk, son and heir of John of Eggesford. I find him mentioned by Oliver, who gives the following presentations:

1259 John de Reigney
1267 William de Mony
1315 Richard Reigny
1341 ditto
1349 ditto
1354 ditto
1380 John Reigny
1429/20 Thomas Hoper, Chaplain, Thomas Fford of Chawleigh
1450 John Reigny gent
1456 ditto
1462 ditto
1477 ditto
1489 Ibota, relict of John
1514 William Reigny, clerk
1548 William Cornwall by grant of Charles Copleston and his wife Anne, cousin of William Reigny, clerk