Bogus Royal Ancestry of Col. John Waller (died 1754), of Spotsylvania County, Virginia
Douglas Richardson
2012-11-19 16:32:59 UTC
Dear Newsgroup ~

Gary Boyd Roberts' book, Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants (2008), pp.
416-421 outlines a royal descent from William the Lion, King of Scots
for the immigrant, Col. John Waller (died 1754), of Spotsylvania
County, Virginia and for Col. Waller's alleged (and unproven) sister,
Mary, wife of Edward Herndon.

The line Mr. Roberts uses is drawn from an earlier Waller pedigree
published in Genealogies of Virginia Families. from Wm. & Mary
Quarterly 5 (2006): 345–349. This pedigree in turn is based on a
still earlier pedigree published by William Berry in the book,
Pedigrees of Buckinghamshire Families (1837), pg. 7.

The William and Mary Quarterly pedigree is available at this weblink:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-omPLYeCtsQC&pg=PA347

The basic Waller pedigree as published by Roberts starts with the
immigrant, Col. John Waller (died 1754), of Virginia, then goes back
to the immigrant's proven father, John Waller, Gentleman, of Newport
Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, who died testate in 1723. Then John Waller,
Gentleman, is identified as a younger son of Thomas Waller, Esq., of
Gregories (in Beaconsfield), Buckinghamshire, died 1682, by his wife,
Anne Keate. The alleged royal ancestry comes through Thomas Waller,
Esq.'s grandmother, Dorothy (Gerard) Waller, who died in 1626.

Recently I located evidence which proves conclusively that the
immigrant's father, John Waller, Gentleman, of Newport Pagnell,
Buckinghamshire (died 1723) is NOT the son of Thomas Waller, Esq., of
Gregories (in Beaconsfield), Buckinghamshire, by his wife, Anne Keate,
as claimed by Berry's Pedigrees of Buckinghamshire Families. As such,
the royal line for Col. John Waller, of Virginia, and his alleged
sister, Mary Herndon, fails.

As it turns out, Anne Keate, the widow of Thomas Waller, Esq., left a
will dated 28 September 1706, proved in the Prerogative Court of
Canterbury 10 April 1707. In her will, the testatrix names her two
sons, Edmund Waller, Esq., of Gregories in co. Bucks and John Waller,
of London, merchant. There is no question regarding the identity of
her son, Edmund Waller, Esq., who held the manor of Gregories in the
parish of Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire [see, for instance, VCH
Buckingham 3 (1925): 155-165]. As for Anne Keate's other son, John
Waller, of London, merchant, here is a reference to him in the
Calendar of Treasury Papers dated in 1695:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sLEKAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA458

Since the Virginia immigrant's father, John Waller, Gentleman (died
1723), lived his entire adult married life in Newport Pagnell,
Buckinghamshire and was trained and evidently worked as a doctor, he
obviously is not the same person as Anne Keate's son, John Waller, of
London, merchant, who occurs in 1695 and 1706.

The will of Anne (Keate) Waller reads in part as follows:

"In the name of God amen. The twenty eighth day of September in the
fifth year of the reign of our sovereign Lady Anne by the grace of God
Queen of England esto Anno Domini thousand seven hundred six, I Anne
Waller of Richmond in the County of Surery, widow, being weak in body
but of sound mind and memory (praised be Almighty God therefore)
calling to mind the mortality of my body, do make and ordain this my
last Will and Testament that is to say ...

I hereby nominate and appoint my two sons, Edmund Waller of Gregoryes
in the County of bucks, Esqr, and Mr. John Waller of London, merchant,
guardians of the said Anne Bostorf Fuller until she shall attain to
the age of one and twenty years ...

And I do hereby make constitute and ordain my said two sons, Edmund
Waller and John Waller, executors of this my last Will and Testament
in trust for my said granddaughter as aforesaid ...

In testimony whereof I the said Anne Waller have hereunto set my hand
and seal the day and year first above written. /s/ Ann Waller.

The above will was 10 April 1707 by Edmond Waller, Esq., and John
Waller, they being appointed as executors to administer the estate.
END OF QUOTE.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

For information purposes, below is a brief biographical sketch of the
immigrant's proven father, John Waller, Gentleman, of Newport Pagnell,
Buckinghamshire. His parentage and ancestry are presently unknown.

JOHN WALLER, Gentleman, of unknown parentage. He had one known
brother, Thomas Waller. John Waller was admitted sizer at St.
Catharine’s College, Cambridge University June 10, 1664, and obtained
a Bachelor of Medicine degree in 1667. He married at Walton,
Buckinghamshire 13 Jan. 1669 MARY POMFRETT. They had nine sons,
Leonard, [Rev.] William, [Col.] John, Thomas, Stephen, Benjamin, [Dr.]
Edmund, M.D., James, and James (again), and two daughters, Mary and
Jemima. He occurs on a list of the inhabitants of the high Town of
Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire in 1672 as “John Waller Gen.” In
1690 William Thorpe, of Newport Pagnell, tanner, and Elizabeth his
wife gave a lease to John Waller, of Newport Pagnell, Gent., and Mary
his wife for a messuage where William Thorpe now dwells in the Marsh
end, Newport Pagnell. In 1697 Anthony Chibnall, of Sherington, Gent.,
and his son and heir, John Chibnall, of Sherington gave a mortgage
bond to John Waller, of Newport Pagnell, Gent. As “John Waller,
Gent.,” he presented his son, William Waller, A.M. to the rectory of
Walton, Buckinghamshire 23 June 1711. JOHN WALLER, Gentleman, was
buried at Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire 6 August 1723. He left a
will dated 21 August 1716, proved 6 Nov. 1723 (P.C.C. 248 Richmond).

Lipscomb, Hist. & Antiqs. of Buckingham 4 (1847): 387. Notes &
Queries 7th Ser. 7 (1889): 487. Bull, Hist. of Newport Pagnell
(1900): 128, 139. Wm. & Mary Quarterly 9 (1900): 60–64; 2nd Ser. 22
(1942): 302–316. Venn & Venn, Alumni Cantabrigiensis to 1751 4
(1927): 321 (biog. of Edmund Waller, M.D.), 321 (biog. of John
Waller), 321 (biog. of William Waller). Gens. of Virginia Fams. from
Wm. & Mary Quarterly 5 (2006): 345–349. Centre for Buckinghamshire
Studies: Basden Collection, D 114/15 (lease dated 1690) (available at
www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp). Centre for Buckinghamshire
Studies: Ivinghoe Manor and Newport Pagnell Deeds, D 27/176 (mortgage
bond dated 1697) (available at www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp).

2012-11-19 17:41:22 UTC
On Nov 19, 8:32 am, Douglas Richardson <***@msn.com> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Douglas Richardson
[...]
The short bio of John Waller above includes the following statement:

"As “John Waller, Gent.,” he presented his son, William Waller, A.M.
to the rectory of Walton, Buckinghamshire 23 June 1711."

This is clearly based on Lipscomb's Bucks, 4:387, which is cited
above, but it has trimmed off a key part of the reference in
Lipscomb. In fact, Lipscomb refers to him as "John Waller, Gent. an
Attorney, of Newport Pagnell". In other words, not a doctor of
medicine....

So, if we accept the assertion that John Waller the merchant and John
Waller the doctor are different individuals, it's hard to see why we
should accept that John Waller the doctor and John Waller the attorney
are one and the same person. To put it another way, if John Waller the
doctor was also an attorney, it's not out of the question that he was
also a merchant.

What proof is there that John Waller the doctor "lived his entire
adult married life in Newport Pagnell" - or that his professional
career was exclusively devoted to medicine?
Douglas Richardson
2012-11-19 19:20:55 UTC
On Nov 19, 10:41 am, John Higgins <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

< What proof is there that John Waller the doctor "lived his entire
< adult married life in Newport Pagnell" - or that his professional
< career was exclusively devoted to medicine?

There are statements in print that John Waller, Gentleman (died 1723),
of Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire was called "Dr." at the baptisms
of his numerous brood of children at Newport Pagnell. I haven't
verified those claims but I believe they are correct. That is why is
he repeatedly called "Dr. John Waller" in the secondary literature.

In support of those claims, the published History of Newport Pagnell
(1900): 139 (which I cited in my earlier post) refers to a certain
"Mr. Waller, a medical man," who was persecuted at Newport Pagnell for
his religious beliefs at an unspecified date but certainly after
1659. Mr. Bull, the author, believes this man was John Waller,
Gentleman. This information was apparently unknown to American
researchers.

I believe John Waller, Gentleman, of Newport Pagnell is the John
Waller who was admitted sizar at St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge
University June 10, 1664, and obtained a Bachelor of Medicine degree
in 1667. That would explain him being called "Dr." at the baptisms of
his children.

He would thus be a separate and distinct man from the John Waller who
was apprenticed in June 1658 as a Barber Surgeon and admitted to
service in Feb. 1665/6. That there were two separate and distinct
John Waller's is clear from the fact that John Waller the Barber
Surgeon was apprenticed for seven years in 1658. Thus John Waller the
Barber Surgeon was still in his apprenticeship while the other John
Waller was at Cambridge.

Assuming that John Waller, Gentleman, was a "medical man," and known
as "Dr.," he would obviously be a separate and distinct person from
the other John Waller, of London, merchant. John Waller, Gentleman,
of Newport Pagnell appears to have had continuous residence at Newport
Pagnell, Buckinghamshire and never occurs as a London merchant.

I believe that Lipscomb's reference to John Waller, Gentleman, of
Newport Pagnell as an Attorney is an extraneous addition on his part.
Like Berry, Lipscomb is not always to be trusted.

Beyond the issue of profession and residence of John Waller,
Gentleman, my research indicates that Edmund and Thomas, the two
eldest sons of Thomas Waller, Esq., and his wife, Anne Keate, were
born respectively c.1646 and c.1650. If so, it is virtually
impossible chronologically for the John Waller who attended Cambridge
University in 1664 and married in 1669 to have been their brother.

So there is also a serious chronological problem which prohibits John
Waller, Gentleman, from being assigned as a younger son of Thomas
Waller, Esq., and Anne Keate.

Thus the royal ancestry of Col. John Waller of Spotsylvania County,
Virginia utterly fails. Que lastima!

Douglas Richardson
2012-11-19 19:24:22 UTC
In my last post, I said:

That is why is he repeatedly called "Dr. John Waller" in the secondary
literature."

I meant to say:

That is why he is repeatedly called "Dr. John Waller" in the secondary
literature.

DR
Douglas Richardson
2012-12-06 06:30:39 UTC
Dear Newsgroup ~

I had the opportunity to examine the baptisms of the children of John
Waller, of Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, died 1723, which John
Waller is known to have been the father of the New World immigrant,
Col. John Waller, of Virginia. It has been stated in print that John
Waller, died 1723, was called "doctor" at the baptisms of his
children. Since I've learned not to trust anything in print, I
decided to check and see what the baptisms actually said.

The Newport Pagnell parish registers are available on FHL Microfilm
1042392. Researchers had indicated that John Waller and his wife,
Mary, had nine children baptized at Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire
between 1671 and 1684, namely William, 1671, John, 1673, Mary, 1674,
Thomas, 1675, Steven, 1676, Benjamin, 1678, Edmund, 1680, James, 1683,
and Jemima, 1684.

Although the parish registers are not in the best condition, I was
able to find all nine baptisms. John Waller the father is styled "Mr.
John Waller" at the baptism of his eldest child, William, in 1671.
And he is clearly called "Docter John Waller" at the baptism of his
son, Steven, in 1676. He is not styled anything at the baptisms of
the other seven children.

Thus it is confirmed that on at least one occasion that John Waller,
of Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, died 1723, was styled "doctor" in
the Newport Pagnell parish registers. As such I conclude that he is a
distinct and separate person from the other contemporary John Waller,
who was a merchant of London, which other John Waller is mentioned
earlier in this thread.

Chris Pitt Lewis
2013-01-06 23:37:03 UTC
In message
Post by Douglas Richardson
[...]
In his original post on 19 November, Douglas cited the will of Anne
(Keate) Waller mentioning her son "Mr. John Waller of London, merchant".

In the tax assessment of 1695, indexed in "London Inhabitants Within the
Walls 1695" (London Record Society Publications vol 2 (1966)), which
covers the great majority of the City parishes, "John Waller, merchant",
with a personal estate of over £600, is listed in the parish of St Mary
Bothaw, with wife Frances and sons Richard and Henry.

The only other John Wallers indexed are servants.

This man is clearly not the same as John Waller of Newport Pagnell.

But he is surely the same John as is mentioned in the following passage
in VCH Buckinghamshire Vol 3, in the article about Gregory's Manor in
Beaconsfield (online at:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42542

"On his death in 1682 (fn. 130) Thomas Waller was succeeded by his son
Edmund, (fn. 131) who was Sheriff for Buckinghamshire in 1689 (fn. 132)
and living in December 1702. (fn. 133) His wife Theophila died at
Gregory's in 1708, (fn. 134) and the estate passed to their son John,
(fn. 135) who died in 1726. (fn. 136) By his will dated 1722 John left
Gregory's, if his son Henry should die without issue, to his wife
Frances for life, then to Henry's wife Elizabeth for life, with
reversion to his nephew Francis Fuller, who was to take the name of
Waller. (fn. 137) Henry died childless in December 1723, leaving all his
estate to his wife Elizabeth. (fn. 138) His mother's lands in Bucks. and
elsewhere were conveyed in 1731 to Francis Fuller and the agreement
confirmed in a codicil to her will, which was proved in 1735."

In footnote 135, as source for the statement that Edmund and Theophila
were succeeded by "their son John", VCH cites William Berry,
Buckinghamshire Genealogies. I have not seen Berry's book to see what
evidence, if any, he gives (I cannot access it on Google books). But on
present evidence it looks as if he and the VCH are wrong. The John who
succeeded to Gregory's and died in 1726 was Edmund's brother, as shown
by the combination of their mother's will and the 1695 tax assessment.
John's nephew Francis Fuller would be a brother of the granddaughter
Anne Fuller mentioned in Anne (Keate) Waller's will.
Chris Pitt Lewis
p***@gmail.com
2020-08-05 23:53:10 UTC
I know it has been years since this posted, so it is unlikely anyone still follows it. I have come across this in looking into some of my family history and much to my disappointment, the errors in the genealogical narrative seem glaring.
However, I do believe based on a revised timeline, from the information you provided and what is available on the web a beneficial pursuit would be into finding a complete list of all of Edmund's (1606-1687) children. (which I cannot find on the web) I'm wondering whether John Dr. Could have actually been one of the 13 children that Edmund had with his Second wife, Mary. John the doctor would then be Thomas's brother, not father.
Edmund and Mary wed in 1644, which would put John in a more appropriate age range for completing his education ~1669.
Another thing to note is that Dr. John name his children Edmund and Mary, perhaps family names?
p***@gmail.com
2020-08-06 00:02:42 UTC
I know it has been years since this posted, so it is unlikely anyone still follows it.
I have come across this in looking into some of my family history and much to my disappointment, the errors in the genealogical narrative seem glaring.

However, I do believe, based on a revised timeline, from the information you provided and what is available on the web, a beneficial pursuit would be into finding a complete list of all of Edmund's (1606-1687) children. (which I cannot find on the web)

Here's my theory; John Dr. Could have actually been one of the 13 children that Edmund had with his Second wife, Mary. John the doctor would then be Thomas's brother, not father.

Edmund and Mary wed in 1644, which would put John in a more appropriate age range for completing his education ~1669.

Another thing to note is that Dr. John name his children Edmund and Mary, perhaps family names? Or it may be a bit of a stretch.
I'm very much a geneology armature, so bear with me if this is out of place.
Johnny Brananas
2012-11-19 18:30:32 UTC
See the third item in the list:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=nicholas+chibnall+waller&btnG=#hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=bks&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Barber+Surgeons+Company%22+%22june+1658%22+waller&oq=%22Barber+Surgeons+Company%22+%22june+1658%22+waller&gs_l=serp.3...17683.25264.18.25735.21.19.0.0.0.0.280.1271.16j2j1.19.0...0.0...1c.1.JIrATJpX4yk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=1f5346e9297c1c7a&bpcl=38625945&biw=1280&bih=866

"The records of the Barber Surgeons Company certainly identify the
John Waller, apprenticed in June 1658 and admitted to service February
1665/6, as son of John Waller, of Braintree, Essex."
n***@gmail.com
2012-12-11 22:42:25 UTC
Perhaps a participant here can help eliminate my confusion. It appears that the Oxford matriculation records of Edmund Waller and Thomas Waller establish that they are sons of Thomas Waller of Gregories and Anne Keate Waller. Those matriculation records also seem to establish that they were the first and second sons. The will of Anne Keate refers to two sons, Edmund and John. That puts us at three sons. I presume that the second son, Thomas Waller, was deceased at the time of Anne Keate Waller's will. I must also assume that the John Waller referenced in the will was the third son.

[I assume that you deal only with these three offspring of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate Waller only because they are at issue in the question of identifying the correct John Waller. There is ample evidence of other offspring of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate Waller]

Am I correct so far?

As to John Waller, we seem to have up to four John Wallers at play in this scenario.

One John Waller is not at issue as to being a son of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate Waller. That one is Colonel John Waller who emmigrated to Virginia and was the son of Dr. John Waller. I mention his only to clarify that references to the "immigrant" John Waller would refer to him, not to his father Dr. John Waller.

Am I correct in this regard?

The other three John Wallers are contestants for "third son of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate Waller." They are:

1. John Waller, London merchant
2. John Waller of the Barber Surgeons Academy
3. Dr. John Waller with a Bachelor of Medicine from Cambridge.

We know almost nothing about the 1st John Waller. Do we have any information other than the reference in the will? I saw the 1695 petition but that only establishes that there was a merchant in London named John Waller in the late 17th century.

The conclusions about the 2nd and 3rd John Waller's are largely based on the ages of the Waller children. I see no reference to the birth year of Thomas Waller but other records support his year of birth as 1610 and Ann Keate Waller's year of birth as 1612. If your year of birth for Edmund Waller is correct, that would mean that when their eldest child was born, Thomas was 36 and Ann was 34.

I have found LDS genealogies that are more consistent with the norms. Those records put Edmunds' birth year at 1637 and Thomas' at 1639. These dates would be more consistent with the ages of their parents. The same sources put John Waller's year of birth at 1645, which would be consistent with enrolling at Cambridge in 1664 when he would have been about 19.

Do you have any evidence about the birth years Edmund (1846) and Thomas Waller (1850) other that when they matriculated at Oxford? Are the ages (both 17) based on assumptions about the age of beginning college?
Douglas Richardson
2012-12-12 17:43:57 UTC
My comments are interspersed below. DR

<
< [I assume that you deal only with these three offspring of Thomas
Waller and Anne Keate Waller only because they <are at issue in the
question of identifying the correct John Waller. There is ample
evidence of other offspring of Thomas <Waller and Anne Keate Waller]
<
< Am I correct so far?

Yes.

< As to John Waller, we seem to have up to four John Wallers at play
in this scenario.
<
< One John Waller is not at issue as to being a son of Thomas Waller
and Anne Keate Waller. That one is Colonel John <Waller who emmigrated
to Virginia and was the son of Dr. John Waller. I mention his only to
clarify that references to <the "immigrant" John Waller would refer to
him, not to his father Dr. John Waller.
<
< Am I correct in this regard?

Yes.

< The other three John Wallers are contestants for "third son of
Thomas Waller and Anne Keate Waller." They are:
<
< 1. John Waller, London merchant
< 2. John Waller of the Barber Surgeons Academy
< 3. Dr. John Waller with a Bachelor of Medicine from Cambridge.

Dr. John Waller, of Newport Pagnell, is no longer a contestant as son
of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate. Their known son, John Waller, was a
merchant of London and was an entirely different man.
We know almost nothing about the 1st John Waller. Do we have any information other than the reference in the will? I <saw the 1695 petition but that only establishes that there was a merchant in London named John Waller in the late <17th century.
If you are interested in this man, I'm sure you can find further
records of him.

< The conclusions about the 2nd and 3rd John Waller's are largely
based on the ages of the Waller children. I see no <reference to the
birth year of Thomas Waller but other records support his year of
birth as 1610 and Ann Keate Waller's <year of birth as 1612. If your
year of birth for Edmund Waller is correct, that would mean that when
their eldest child <was born, Thomas was 36 and Ann was 34.

Contemporary records of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate's first two sons,
Edmund and Thomas Waller, indicate the following:

1. EDMUND WALLER, son and heir, born about 1646 (aged 17 in 1663). He
was admitted to Gray’s Inn (in High Holborn) 1 Nov. 1661, as “Edmund
Waller, son and heir of Thomas Waller, of Gregories, near
Beaconsfield, Bucks, Esq.” He matriculated at St. Edmund Hall, Oxford
University 16 Dec. 1663, as “son of Thomas Waller, of London, Esq.”

2. THOMAS WALLER, 2nd son, born about 1650 (aged 17 in 1667). He
matriculated at Merton College, Oxford University 2 Nov. 1667, as “son
of Thomas Waller, of Beaconsfield, Bucks, Esq.” He was admitted to
Gray’s Inn (in High Holborn) 9 May 1670, as “Thomas Waller, second son
of Thomas Waller, of Gregories, Bucks, Esq.” References: Foster,
Reg. of Admissions to Gray’s Inn 1521–1889 (1889): 305. Foster,
Alumni Oxoniensis 4 (1892): 1561 (sub Thomas Waller).

Their younger son, John Waller, who was merchant of London was
obviously born after 1650.

You state that "other records support" Thomas Waller the father as
being born in 1610 and Ann Keate Waller's being born in 1612.

Other records? What records? Please be specific. I show that Thomas
Waller's parents, Edmund and Mary Waller, were married before 8 Dec.
1621 (date of his father’s will). I know of no records which give any
estimate of Thomas Waller's birth.
I have found LDS genealogies that are more consistent with the norms. Those records put Edmunds' birth year at <1637 and Thomas' at 1639.
The LDS genealogies? They are based on guesswork, not contemporary
records.

<These dates would be more consistent with the ages of their parents.

If someone is guessing at dates, one can always create "consistent"
family groups. If it is based on guesswork, it has no credibility.

<The same sources put John Waller's year of birth at 1645, which would
be consistent with enrolling at Cambridge in <1664 when he would have
been about 19.

I assume when you say John Waller, you mean Dr. John Waller, of
Newport Pagnell. If he was born about 1645, he obviosuly can't have
been a son of Thomas Waller and Anne Keate. Their eldest two sons,
Edmund and Thomas, were born c.1646 and c.1650 respectively. The
chronology simply doesn't work.
Do you have any evidence about the birth years Edmund (1846) and Thomas Waller (1850) other that when they matriculated at Oxford? Are the ages (both 17) based on assumptions about the age of beginning college?
Ages given in the college registers are usually quite accurate.

In closing I might add that Dr. John Waller, of Newport Pagnell,
Buckinghamshire might still be a descendant of the earlier Thomas
Waller, Esq. (died 1627), of Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, Third
Prothonotary of the King’s Bench, 1609–27, and his wife, Dorothy
Gerard. This couple had four sons, Edmund, Esq., Henry, Robert, and
Thomas [Sergeant at Law], Dr. John Waller doesn't appear to descend
from the eldest son, Edmund, Esq., or the youngest son, Thomas. But
he might descent from one of the two middle sons, Henry or Robert.
Please find below what information I've collected regarding Henry and
Robert Waller, 2nd and 3rd sons of Thomas Waller, Esq., and Dorothy
Gerard.

HENRY WALLER, 2nd son. He was admitted to Gray’s Inn (in High
Holborn) 14 March 1608/9, as “Henry Waller, second son of Thomas
Waller, of Gray’s Inn, Esq.” Reference: Foster, Reg. of Admissions to
Gray’s Inn 1521–1889 (1889): 128.

ROBERT WALLER, 3rd son. He was admitted to Gray’s Inn (in High
Holborn) 8 August 1620, as “Robert Waller, third son of Thomas Waller,
of Gray’s Inn, Esq.” Reference: Foster, Reg. of Admissions to Gray’s
Inn 1521–1889 (1889): 160.

Good luck in your sleuthing.