Connock, Coykin
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 13:54:25 UTC
Hello,

While trying to research possible Coykins/Quelkin families of Cornwall and Devonshire, I came across a page on internet that publishes certain materials, said to have been copied from an investigation done in 1893 in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. It includes information on various lines from England, including one of White, and one of Connock.

It is not clear where all the information for these families was found, if it is based on documents from England for descendants established in Spain.

In particular, I am interested in the Connock and Coykin.

The Connock family described in the documents seems to correspond to the family of Richard Connock Rowe.

According to this site, http://reynolds.com.es/Los%20Esteban.htm, his parents were John Connock of Tresvorgey. According to what the sie says, John was born at Liskeard, Cornwall, and married Joana Rowe, daughter of William Rowe of "Lanvake" or Lamvake.

At least Richard Connock's biography is available at

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/connock-richard-1560-1620#footnote3_87qkqif

since we was MP. He is said to have been born in 1560.

The History of Parliament page says that Richard's father was John, a successful tanner from Wiltshire, who moved to Cornwall and became receiver of the duchy, and that his mother was Joan, daughter of William Rowe of Landrake, Cornwall. The site also says that John was mayor of Liskeard.

I have not been able to find more information on John's parents yet.

However, the Esteban page says John Connock was the son of one Thomas Connock and of Joan Coykin, daughter of John Coykin.

The site appears to suggest that the Coykin, Rowe, Connock and Rowe were at least armigers. It tends to give them a higher social status than what appears to be the case, but I would like to know if there was such a Coykin family. The site mentions that John Coykin had properties at Liskeard, Harwood and Wodhill.

The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1, pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)

J. Sardina
taf
2021-10-02 15:01:04 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from
Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1,
pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)
The first of these is the published 1620 Visitation of Cornwall:
https://archive.org/details/visitationofcoun00sain/page/46/mode/2up?view=theater

This contains a Connock pedigree that begins with John Connock of Liskerd, married to "Johan dau. of Willm Roe of Lanrake." Vivian has no more of genealogical value, though he does assign them arms, "Arg, a fesse dancette between three eagles displayed Gu", and gives a few additional biographical details on John, including that he too was an MP, leading us to HOP:
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/connock-john-1511-8182

The remaining citations are to the Liskeard parish register, 1539-1668 (with gaps):
https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/bf9de477-8c2a-47c5-af0b-a0edd635210e/

taf
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 15:18:25 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from
Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1,
pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)
https://archive.org/details/visitationofcoun00sain/page/46/mode/2up?view=theater
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/connock-john-1511-8182
https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/bf9de477-8c2a-47c5-af0b-a0edd635210e/
taf
Vis Devonshire

https://books.google.com/books?id=GmqlIibS95IC&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=visitation%20of%20devonshire&pg=PA214#v=onepage&q=stowford&f=true

I do have a Thomas Williams of Stowford but he died in 1566
That seems a little long to be the father of a woman who didn't die until 1633
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 15:41:37 UTC
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I see that Richard Cole, son of Joan, was Heir "aged 28 and more" 1596
Also that Thomas Williams of Stowford (d 1566) had another daughter in my database

Thomasine /Williams/
Francis /Buller/ of Shillingham

Thomasine did not die until 1627 so that makes me more comfortable that this is the exact same Thomas

Ancestral by the way to Princess Diana through the Viscount Hamilton and the Buller family of Morval

Philip Cole himself descends from Edward I

But the most shocking realization is that Radigon Boscawen "second daughter"
is here stated to have married secondly to

William /Cooke/ of Highnam, co Glouc j.u.; Knt 1603; Ho
(1572-1619)
First surviving son of

William /Cooke/ of St Martin in the Fields, co Mdx; Ho
by
Frances /Grey/

he descends from Edward III

however from his aunt Mildred Cooke's marriage to
William Cecil , 1st Baron /Burghley/ 1571-1598; DW*

William Cooke himself (who m firstly Joyce Lucy) has a Cecil number of 4
So Radigon is a 5

It's been a long time since I've had a new 5
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 15:44:33 UTC
Radegon by the way had a brother

Hugh /Boscawen/
m 22 Jun 1622
Margaret /Rolle/

and they are also ancestral to Princess Diana
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 15:58:25 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Radegon by the way had a brother
Hugh /Boscawen/
m 22 Jun 1622
Margaret /Rolle/
and they are also ancestral to Princess Diana
The same visitation of Cornwall mentioned in the thread has a section for Boscawen, page 46 and following

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Visitations_of_Cornwall/t0U7AQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1''

J. Sardina
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 16:23:46 UTC
I think the John Buller, named in that HOP bio must be this one

https://books.google.com/books?id=t0U7AQAAIAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=john%20buller%20of%20lillesdon&pg=PA56#v=onepage&q=john%20buller%20of%20lillesdon&f=true

second of five sons
and at the time of his father's IPM 1592 his wife was Elizabeth Stangeways
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 16:31:27 UTC
I think the author should have at least mentioned that the only reason Richard Connock was of Lillesdon was because it was jure uxoris his wife Joan. Luckily she outlived him or else it would have reverted to the right heirs of John Buller
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 16:45:26 UTC
The HOP for this william Cooke does not mention this second wife

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/cooke-william-ii-1572-1619

His Wikipedia article does however, mentioning that two of his daughters named children after this step-mother

He also has a will PROB 11/133/364
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 16:48:13 UTC
The HOP also does not mention that his wife Jocosa (alias Joyce) was yet living in 1607

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/f9cace5f-2ed1-42b9-ae3f-2943a97d6ea6
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 16:57:41 UTC
Ahhhhh how odd.

There are evidently TWO Hop's entries for this same man

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/cooke-sir-william-1574-1619
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 17:04:08 UTC
and this second entry does have details on the two wives.
John Higgins
2021-10-02 21:25:15 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Ahhhhh how odd.
There are evidently TWO Hop's entries for this same man
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/cooke-sir-william-1574-1619
Nothing particularly odd about two HOP entries for the same man. He served in the period covered by the 1558-1603 volume and also in the period covered by the 1604-1627 volume. There are many MPs who appear in more than one volume of HOP.

The 1558-1603 volume was the first HOP volume published, way back in 1981. The 1604-1629 volume was published in 2010 and had the benefit of further and deeper research - hence the longer biography for the MP in question.
John Higgins
2021-10-02 22:02:07 UTC
I think the author should have at least mentioned that the only reason Richard Connock was of Lillesdon was because it was jure uxoris his wife Joan. Luckily she outlived him or else it would have reverted to the right heirs of John Buller
The HOP bio of Richard Connock does say " his marriage had brought him the use of a substantial estate in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall".

Note the word "use". It's not clear whether he actually ever owned Lillesdon, as the 1613 document you separately cited says that he was petitioning for a lease of Lillesdon, and it also says at the end that "It has not been determined if Richard Connock’s petition was successful, but both he and his wife continued to reside at Lillesdon until their deaths."
Will Johnson
2021-10-03 20:13:56 UTC
I just realized, re-reading that we are being given the exact date of the license for Joan (Williams) to marry John Buller "8 Mar 1596/7"

Admon on his estate was given her in Oct 1599, so that seems to narrow her possible remarriage to Richard Connock to 1599/1620

However, the petition of his, regarding the lease of Lillesdon is dated in this article to Nov 1612
referring to ‘James 1 – volume 71: November 1612’, in Calendar of State Papers Domestic: James I, 1611-18

This volume is available to read at BHO with a 50 pound subscription
J. Sardina
2021-10-23 11:16:54 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
I just realized, re-reading that we are being given the exact date of the license for Joan (Williams) to marry John Buller "8 Mar 1596/7"
Admon on his estate was given her in Oct 1599, so that seems to narrow her possible remarriage to Richard Connock to 1599/1620
However, the petition of his, regarding the lease of Lillesdon is dated in this article to Nov 1612
referring to ‘James 1 – volume 71: November 1612’, in Calendar of State Papers Domestic: James I, 1611-18
This volume is available to read at BHO with a 50 pound subscription
Thanks for the information.

I am still looking around for the Coykins to see if it is possible to confirm that the Connock family did have a connection to a Coykin family, possible from Cornwall or Devonshire. I was able to find online at familysearch.org a scanned copy of the investigation files for the Spanish Connock that became Knight of Santiago in the 1700s. Unfortunately, it does not bring a copy of the grant of arms and it stops short of connecting his line to Cornwall. It starts in Ireland with his grandfather, who has the same name as one shown in the Visitation, but might be a son of the older gentleman. There seems to have been a grant of arms from the reign of Elizabeth I, and I am hoping if it still exists and it can be found somewhere, it might still show the name of the parents and perhaps some grandparents even if they were not armigers.

J. Sardina
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 15:42:06 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from
Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1,
pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)
https://archive.org/details/visitationofcoun00sain/page/46/mode/2up?view=theater
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/connock-john-1511-8182
https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/bf9de477-8c2a-47c5-af0b-a0edd635210e/
taf
Thanks

Yes. It seems that the family was rather short in details for the first generation, starting with John.

The page on John from the Parliament site seems to quote from a source regarding him, not in favorable way, but does not specify anything for his possible parents. It does mention he owned a manor, but perhaps he purchased it. It does say that he was granted arms in 1577, but by then he had been at Liskeard for more than 40 years. It does not say that he came from anywhere.

The arms described in the visitation are the one shown in the Spanish site.

The visitation edition has a note about a line in Spain claiming to be descendants of George Connock. The Spanish page mentions one George Connock, http://reynolds.com.es/Los%20Esteban.htm, but it seems there is a generation missing there, or some confusion. In particular, it says that George was born at Breda in 1649 and that he was at the service of the French army.

The annotated copy of the visitation has one George Connock, living in 1619, and mentioned as Captain, who married to Mary Dodson, daughter of Thomas Dodson of St. Yves.

A note in the visitation publication says that the Spanish Connocks claimed to be descendants of Captain George.

I really haven't searched Spanish archives online to see if they might contain any documentation on this line, and in particular a copy of the grant of arms said to have been made in 1577.

J. Sardina
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 16:17:32 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
Post by taf
Post by J. Sardina
[...]
Following up on the Connocks, the same Spanish website states that information on the older generations came from a certification of arms from 1773 by the king of arms, Charles Townley. It seems to be for the White family, and possibly for the Connocks. The site says it was requested by Jose Connock White, who was in the Spanish armies and was knight of Santiago. Apparently, he had inherited some claims to imperial titles of count of Albi and marquis of Albilbille (or Albiville from the White family.

The Spanish archives at Pares do have an entry regarding these titles:
Supplied title:O'Callaghan, JuliánReference number:CONSEJOS,L.2757,F.136V
Date of creation:1725
Level of description:
Unidad Documental Compuesta_enReference code:ES.28079.AHN//CONSEJOS,L.2757,F.136V
Scope and content:Asiento de consulta sobre que se permita a don Julián O'Callaghan, don Antonio Sartine, don Antonio Álvarez de Bohorques, don Timón Connock y don Guillermo Lacy el uso del título de Conde de Albi y Marqués de Albiville, mercedes imperiales. Se les atenderá.

But what I am trying to follow would not be related to those families.

J. Sardina
taf
2021-10-02 17:23:12 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The visitation edition has a note about a line in Spain claiming to be descendants
of George Connock. The Spanish page mentions one George Connock, http://reynolds.com.es/Los%20Esteban.htm, but it seems there is a generation
missing there, or some confusion. In particular, it says that George was born at
Breda in 1649 and that he was at the service of the French army.
The annotated copy of the visitation has one George Connock, living in 1619, and
mentioned as Captain, who married to Mary Dodson, daughter of Thomas Dodson
of St. Yves.
There is definitely a temporal disconnect here. The Esteban pedigree makes Jorge (i.e. George) born 1649 the son of Juan (John) born 1552. Per Vivian's pedigree, George, son of John was an adult with children in 1619, which is terribly precotious for someone only born 30 years later.

There seems to be two generations missing.

taf
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 17:31:32 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
[...]
Definitely. It may a mistake on the transcription, or it could be errors in the original documents, which are not available online.
J. Sardina
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 17:41:45 UTC
Have you read this article?

https://petitioning.history.ac.uk/investigating-petitioners/1613-david-dromounde-petitions-about-the-profits-from-a-somerset-manor/

It mentions several things about Richard, et al, that might be useful
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 17:46:00 UTC
It now make more sense why Joan would write her will in 1621 when she did not die until 1633

Not only was she contesting the will of Richard Connock, but apparently there was not a little bitterness about not getting those things willed to her, and having to even buy her own household goods from the estate. She probably wrote her will "in spite" so she could record for all eternity the wrongs done her.
Will Johnson
2021-10-02 17:48:51 UTC
I have just noticed that when Joan married secondly John Buller of Lillesdon she was marrying what could be considered a relation. Her *sister* Thomasine, had married his first cousin once removed Francis Buller of Shillingham
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 17:53:02 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Have you read this article?
https://petitioning.history.ac.uk/investigating-petitioners/1613-david-dromounde-petitions-about-the-profits-from-a-somerset-manor/
It mentions several things about Richard, et al, that might be useful
Yes, and very interesting.

Thanks for pointing out the article.
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 17:23:56 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from
Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1,
pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)
https://archive.org/details/visitationofcoun00sain/page/46/mode/2up?view=theater
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/connock-john-1511-8182
https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/bf9de477-8c2a-47c5-af0b-a0edd635210e/
taf
Thanks

The page of HOP does say that John appears to have been a yeoman from Wiltshire and that he settled in Cornwall as a young man.

Therefore, I don't know if what the Spanish site says about his parents is correct.

I guess his arms are what they were granted in 1577, without existing before.

J. Sardina
J. Sardina
2021-10-02 17:39:21 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from
Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1,
pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)
https://archive.org/details/visitationofcoun00sain/page/46/mode/2up?view=theater
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/connock-john-1511-8182
https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/bf9de477-8c2a-47c5-af0b-a0edd635210e/
taf
And coming back to the Coykins, there seem to have some properties but much earlier, and the town or place for one of them is not specified.

https://ia600200.us.archive.org/30/items/cu31924011387820/cu31924011387820.pdf

Entry 300 is for Nicholas de Trenoda, apparently partly from an inquisition at Liskeret in the 33rd year of the reign of Edward I
It mentions Trewynon in relation to William de Bodrigan
and Trenoda in relation to sir John de Ripariis (he may have mentioned before in relation to the Bulkeleys and Ripariis)
The name of the location concerning sir Roland de Coykin is missing, but the manor of Fowyton is named.

From the time of Roland to the next mentions of Coykins is a long time
and from that to supposed mother of John Connock is also quite some time.

J. Sardina
J. Sardina
2021-10-23 15:05:23 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
The information for the parents of Richard Connock appears to come from
Visitations of Cornwall: Vis. Cornw. (Harl. Soc. ix), 46; Cornw. RO, P126/1/1,
pp. 53, 57, 176, 186.)
https://archive.org/details/visitationofcoun00sain/page/46/mode/2up?view=theater
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/connock-john-1511-8182
https://kresenkernow.org/SOAP/detail/bf9de477-8c2a-47c5-af0b-a0edd635210e/
taf
Hello,

I am still searching for a possible grant of arms to this family, apparently made in the 1570s.

In the meantime, I found just a little bit of information about a Cokayn family, apparently from Cornwall, from the 1440s.
The better known member would be one Thomas Cokayn, who appears to have studied law and practiced it in the 1430s and 1440s, ending up at London, where he was recorded. He was also MP at least twice for Lostwithiel and Bodmin.

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/constituencies/lostwithiel

Nothing is known of his ancestry, or if he was an armiger. Apparently his family was from Lostwithiel.

His will is mentioned in the biography, and apparently he had no surviving brothers or children, but he did have three sisters mentioned in the will in 1440, and one of them was married to a Condorou. The biography page mentions his heir, a nephew, one Nicholas Condorov [sic].

There is some speculation that he may have been related to Henry Cokayn or Cokyn, who was from or lived at Lostwithiel, and was feodary in Cornwall in 1369 and 1370.

There is some information on this Henry, but not a lot about his family or possible descendants. For example, he is mentioned in Cornwall and the Kingdom: Connectivity, Cohesion, and Integration, c. 1300-c. 1420
by Samuel John Drake Royal Holloway, University of London. Thesis submitted for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy 2017, p 287.

I do not know if this Henry had arms, and if they are known.

J. Sardina
J. Sardina
2021-10-25 17:13:59 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
Post by taf
Post by J. Sardina
[...]
Following up on this topic, I have not been able to find anything on what arms Henry or his relatives may have used, or on the arms for Thomas Cokayne either, but there is a Thomas Cokyn (or very similar surname) listed in Thomas Jenyns Book of Arms, as far as I can tell.

There is a copy available online at Yale, and the description says the manuscript is dated from 1510 to 1525, and apparently there are other copies, possibly not identical.

APA, 6th edition Ordinary of arms : Thomas Jenyns book. (0 C.E.). [Coats of arms--England--16th century.aat, Manuscripts, Medieval--England--16th century., Manuscripts, Renaissance--England--16th century.].

https://collections.library.yale.edu/catalog/16161080.

I haven't found the exact folio for Thomas Cokyn, but the description appears in

ANTIQUARY: A MAGAZINE DEVOTED TO THE STUDY OF THE PAST. EDITED BY EDWARD WALFORD, M.A. FORMERLY SCHOLAR OF BALLIOL COLLEGE, OXFORD, AND LATE EDITOR OF THE "GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE; AUTHOR OF THE "COUNTY FAMILIES," ETC. ETC

Vol 2, which can be consulted online at https://electricscotland.com/history/antiquary/antiquary02.pdf

It is listed as entry #132, and the arms are described as bendy of gules and argent, in six pieces, which are similar, but different, from the arms of Reginald Coykin.

I have no idea who was this armigerous Thomas Cokyn or where he lived. I assume before 1525, but I do not know the sources of this compilation. Does anybody know?

J. Sardina
taf
2021-10-25 17:45:24 UTC
Following up on this topic, I have not been able to find anything on what arms
Henry or his relatives may have used, or on the arms for Thomas Cokayne either,
but there is a Thomas Cokyn (or very similar surname) listed in Thomas Jenyns
Book of Arms, as far as I can tell.
There is a copy available online at Yale, and the description says the manuscript
is dated from 1510 to 1525, and apparently there are other copies, possibly not
identical.
APA, 6th edition Ordinary of arms : Thomas Jenyns book. (0 C.E.).
https://collections.library.yale.edu/catalog/16161080.
I haven't found the exact folio for Thomas Cokyn,
It is on the back side of page 89 (bottom row, second from left), as indicated in the index. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to jump ahead and you have to get there image by image, page by page.

taf
J. Sardina
2021-10-26 09:05:03 UTC
[...]
Thanks. Found it. According to studies on this particular ordinary of arms, it appears to have been completed before 1400, with most of the entries that can be dated from the reign of Edward III or earlier. I suppose that makes likely that this Thomas Cokyn may have lived in that period.

There seem to be at least two other shorter lists, but with differences and without Christian names.

J. Sardina