Calendar of Patent Rolls - missing items
s***@mindspring.com
2018-05-16 17:51:54 UTC
As I dig through early English court records in more detail, I have only become aware in the last year that there are numerous items of interest to genealogists which are in the Patent Rolls, but were generally skipped when the Calendar of Patent Rolls was compiled for the various kings. The introduction to the first volume of Calendar of Patent Rolls for Edward III says something about this (p. viii).

Of particular concern is the policy stated there of omitting commissions for assizes of novel disseisin, mort d'ancestor, and darrein presentment, all of which are of interest to genealogists trying to research obscure individuals during that period. An unindexed calendar of these items (arranged mostly in alphabetical order of location) for the first nine years of the reign of Edward I appear in the 42nd through 50th annual reports of the Deputy Keeper of Public Records (all available online in pdf form). The introduction to CPR Edw. III vol. 1, p. viii, written after this series in the Deputy Keeper's Reports was discontinued, states that the information "may hereafter be made accessible to topographers and genealogists in a tabular form." Was this ever done for the period outside the first nine years of Edward I? The original rolls from 1237 to 1281 are available at the AALT site, but they are very tedious to search.

On a related item, how does one report incorrect links to the AALT website? I tried to report that the links for the Patent Rolls for the seventh and eighth years of Edward I (CP 66/98 and CP 66/99) have been accidentally interchanged, but my message bounced when I tried to follow the instructions at the AALT site.

Stewart Baldwin
p***@yahoo.ca
2018-05-17 13:41:04 UTC
Out of curiosity was does AALT stand for?
taf
2018-05-17 14:16:19 UTC
Post by p***@yahoo.ca
Out of curiosity was does AALT stand for?
AALT is Anglo-American Legal Tradition. See:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/