Dabridgecourt of Longdon descent?
Add Reply
Thomas Dudley-Bonnett
2019-09-03 15:44:14 UTC
Hello

Is there any agreed or assumed descent for the Dabridgecourt family? I descend from Thomas Dabridgecourt, Esq of Longdon Hall, Warwickshire c1531-1602.

Looking at the Visitation pedigrees of Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire and Hampshire seem to all corroborate the same line of descent more or less from Sir Sanchet Dabridgecourt KG and then list his father as Sir Eustace Dabridgecourt who was married to a daughter of John Wake.
I find this confusing as I've seen a lot of people give Sanchet and Eustace as the same person and give Sanchet's father as a 'Sir Nicholas D'Auberchicourt, Lord of Bugnicourt and Abrichecourt, County of Hainaut and Ostrevant.
Then many give Sir John Dabridgecourt KG who died 1415 as a son of Nicholas D'Auberchicourt of Borchain and Enghien, elder brother of Sir Sanchet. Who is incorrect? Visitation or Independent researchers or both?

The pedigree I have, tracing back from Thomas is this -
If anyone has more precise information, I welcome corrections to this line as I'm confused by the contradicting information online.

Thomas Dabridgecourt of Longdon Hall, Warwickshire. Esquire.
c1531-1602
Married Alice Greswold, daughter of John Greswold, Esq.
Son of -
John Dabridgecourt of Solihull. Esquire.
c1484-1543
Married Elizabeth Wigston, daughter of Roger Wigston, Esq.
Son of-
Thomas Dabridgecourt of Strathfieldsaye. Esquire.
c1453-1495
Married Alice De La Mare, daughter of Sir Thomas De La Mare.
Son of-
Thomas Dabridgecourt of Strathfieldsaye. Esquire.
c1428-1466
Married Beatrice Beckington, Daughter or kin of Godwin Beckington?
Son of-
John Dabridgecourt of Strathfieldsaye. Esquire.
c1407-1432
Married Agnes Beckingham, daughter of William Beckingham.
Son of-
Sir John Dabridgecourt KG of Markeaton.
c1455-1415
Married Maud de Grey? Some state Bromhall?
Son of-
Nicholas D'Auberchicourt of Berchain and Enghien. Elder brother to Sanchet/Eustache Dabrichecourt KG?
wjhonson
2019-09-11 23:22:30 UTC
I think one question is *how* did the Daubridgecourt family get their hands on Stratfield-Say ?

I have that it was through this last Nicholas' marriage to Elizabeth du Roeulx who was the heiress of that place.

https://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=wjhonson&id=I161709&style=TEXT

By the way, some of the specific years you have in your above, are not supported by any credible sources.
Thomas Dudley-Bonnett
2019-10-01 20:42:50 UTC
I think one question is *how* did the Daubridgecourt family get their hands on Stratfield-Say ?
I have that it was through this last Nicholas' marriage to Elizabeth du Roeulx who was the heiress of that place.
https://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=wjhonson&id=I161709&style=TEXT
By the way, some of the specific years you have in your above, are not supported by any credible sources.
I would have assumed they acquired it from the marriage of Sir Nicholas Dabridgecourt to Elizabeth Say a daughter of an unknown Lord Say of Stratfield which is corroborated in the visitations of Nottinghamshire and Hampshire.

My dates for John Dabridgecourt of Solihull are rough as people give him as around 60/70 years of age and born c1450 when Thomas is born, which I find unlikely and doesn't fit with pedigree generations, considering Thomas of Longdon Hall would be born roughly 1530 given the generations his 3 daughters are marrying at.

From John of Solihull and back is from another tree which apparently quotes directly from IPMs back to Sir John KG who died 1415. Although going by this pedigree it completely misses out Sir Nicholas Dabridgecourt and Elizabeth Say.

In visitation pedigrees from Nottingham/Warwickshire/Hampshire, Thomas Dabridgecourt, Esq who marries Alice de la Mare is given as a son of Sir Nicholas Dabridgecourt and Elizabeth Say daughter of Lord Say of Stratfield.

In the pedigree citing IPMs, Thomas who marries Alice is given as a son of Thomas Dabridgecourt, Esq of Stratfield 1428-1466 and Beatrice Beckington. Both Nicholas and the Thomas who marries Beatrice are given as a son of John Dabridgecourt, Esq of Stratfield 1407-1432 who was son of Sir John KG who died 1415. So the discrepancy appears to be whether this Sir Nicholas existed or have people gotten 2 lines mixed up?
p***@gmail.com
2019-10-02 20:41:02 UTC
From the History of Market Harborough: with that Portion of the hundred of ... by John Harwood Hill

THomas de Say = Isabel

Sybil de Say = unknown

Eliza (de Say) = Nicholas Dabridgecourt d 1400
See Ipm 1045 file 1000 year 1404
It says by the grant of Nicholas Carew & others.
Heir is John b abt 1375

John Dabridgecourt d 1418 = Joan Lynde
See Ipm 726 year 1417 file 700
Heir is John b abt 1416

John Dabridgecourt d 1432 = Agnes d/o WM Beckingham
She marries secondly WM Brocas of Beaupaire

Thomas Dabridgecourt d1466 = Beatrice a relative of Bp Thomas de Bekingham

Thomas Dabridgecourt d 1485
(See Ipm 95 Year 1485 -7 2 Hy VII)
= Alice de la Mare d/o Thomas de la Mare & Elizabeth Fynderne of Aldermaston, Berks

Their son & heir on the Ipm is Bernard Dabridgecourt b1475 who dsp’d so the heir became Thomas Dabridgecourt d 1539 = Dorothy d/o George Putnam of Sheffield, Hants.
And a John Dabridgecourt d 1543 = Eliza Wigston

There is also a Dabridgecourt pedigree in the Topographer & Genealogist, vol 1 you can view .

FYI I also have that John de la Mare married Joan Dabridgecourt, and they provided the de la Mare heiress Elizabeth who marries George Forster d 1533 of Harpsden, Oxford.
John Higgins
Are you sure you've cited the right book above? I've looked through a few digital copies of Hill's History of Market Harborough, and I can't find the information you've given above. Can you cite a specific page number?
Thomas Dudley-Bonnett
2019-10-03 10:57:39 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
From the History of Market Harborough: with that Portion of the hundred of ... by John Harwood Hill
[...]
I would be very interested to see this source.
So according to this information and more that I have seen the pedigree from Thomas Dabridgecourt, Esq of Longdon Hall, Warwickshire in the male line is thus -

Thomas Dabridgecourt of Longdon Hall, Warwickshire. c1531-1602 His 3 daughters are his heirs, One of which marries John Fulwood of Forde Hall, Warwickshire whom I descend from.

Thomas Son of -
John Dabridgecourt of Solihull, Warwickshire. c1483-1543. 3rd Son.

John Son of -
Thomas Dabridgecourt of Stratfield, Hampshire. c1453-1485 or 1495?
Marries Alice daughter of Sir Thomas De La Mare of Aldermaston.
British History noting the parish of Stratfield states that Thomas dies 1495 and that his widow Alice marries Richard Elyot.

Thomas Son of -
Thomas Dabridgecourt of Stratfield, Hampshire. c1428-1466.
He is given as aged 4 years old when his father dies in 1431.
Married Beatrice Beckington c1453, He is granted a large portion of land and tenements by his mother Agnes at this date.

Thomas son of -
John Dabridgecourt of Stratfield, Hampshire. c1407-1431.
Came of age in 1428 and died in 1431.
Married Agnes Beckingham who remained Lady of Stratfield Manor until 1470 and whose heir was her grandson Thomas Dabridgecourt 1453-1495.

John Son of -
Sir John Dabridgecourt of Stratfield, Hampshire. c1375-1418.
Aged 26 at his fathers death in 1400 via Visitation and IPM?
Marries Joan, daughter of Roger Lynde.
This is where I think there was confusion by myself and others and have mistaken this Sir John for his uncle Sir John Dabridgecourt of Markeaton, Derbyshire who dies 1415.

John Son of -
Sir Nicholas Dabrichecourt of Nottingham and Stratfield. c1350?-1400
Originally born in the County of Hainault? It seems he was the first Dabrichecourt to find home at the court of Edward III.
Older Brother of Sir John of Markeaton.
Married c1370 Elizabeth, heir of Sibylla Say who was daughter and heir of Sir Thomas Say of Stratfield. Its not known who Elizabeth's father was. Either her mother or her as her first husband married a Thomas St Leger of Stratfield.

Nicholas Son of -
Sir Nicholas Dabrichecourt of Enghien and Valenciennes.
Married Elizabeth Roeulx or Roet? Daughter of Pain de Roet of Hainault.
Was still living in 1358.

Nicholas Son of -
Sir Nicholas D'Auberchicourt of Bugnicourt and Auberchicourt.
One of the escorts of Queen Isabella or in the retinue of Phillipa of Hainault in 1327.
Thomas Dudley-Bonnett
2019-10-03 11:10:06 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
From the History of Market Harborough: with that Portion of the hundred of ... by John Harwood Hill
[...]

Older Brother of Sir John of Markeaton and nephew of Sir Sanchet Dabrichecourt KG.

John Higgins
Speaking of "not supported by any credible source", the entry for Elizabeth du Rouelx in the "Research of Will Johnson, professional genealogist" in the link cited above has no sources AT ALL. The same is true for the entries of the persons connected to her. What ARE your sources for these entries?
p***@gmail.com
2019-10-13 02:44:10 UTC
I would like to add that in the pedigree of Brocas of Beaurepaire, it states that William Brocas married Anne d/o Thomas Bekingham, esq.,1st wife, d 1469. He also had a 2nd wife named Joan.

Katherine Brocas, sister of WM Brocas d 1456, married Robert de la Mare father or grandfather of Thomas de la Mare of Aldermaston = Elizabeth Fynderne.

The son of WM Brocas by Anne Bekingham is John Brocas who was one of the executors of the will of Thomas Dabrigecourt d 1466.

Hope this may help.

wjhonson
2019-10-03 16:46:15 UTC
Not sure how you got this Isabel as the daughter of the famous Payne de Roet, but she was not.

His daughter Isabel (Elizabeth) became a nun. She never married.
wjhonson
2019-10-03 16:54:15 UTC
https://books.google.com/books?id=CBwIAAAAQAAJ&dq=sir%20nicholas%20daubridgecourt&pg=PA197#v=onepage&q=sir%20nicholas%20daubridgecourt&f=false
Thomas Dudley-Bonnett
2019-10-03 17:03:42 UTC
I only wrote Paon de Roet as the tree you linked previously had an Elizabeth de Roeulx daughter of Giles as marrying Nicholas and I assumed it was the same as both families were from Hainaut and Paon was possibly named Giles as well. An honest quick mistake but the dates in that tree are off though so I should have noticed.