Kill-file instructions
Tony Hoskins
2006-08-17 16:57:33 UTC
Wonder if someone would kindly let me know just how to initiate a
kill-file. Haven't a clue, but it seems a sad necessity.
Much appreciated.

Tony Hoskins

Anthony Hoskins
History, Genealogy and Archives Librarian
History and Genealogy Library
Sonoma County Library
3rd and E Streets
Santa Rosa, California 95404

707/545-0831, ext. 562
Tim Powys-Lybbe
2006-08-17 17:47:27 UTC
Post by Tony Hoskins
Wonder if someone would kindly let me know just how to initiate a
kill-file. Haven't a clue, but it seems a sad necessity.
Gosh, not kill-filed anyone or any topic yet!

Anyhow the first question is what software you are using. Your headers
say you participate through MEDIEVAL-L, which means you talk to us
through e-mail, and that you are using Novell GroupWise Internet Agent
6.0.1. I have never heard of the latter. It may be that Novell
Internet Agent does not do kill-files. I wonder if it is software
supplied by your Library? If so, you may have to ask the system support
people, the Help Desk even. for an answer.
--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          ***@powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/
Ye Old One
2006-08-17 20:29:24 UTC
Post by Tony Hoskins
Wonder if someone would kindly let me know just how to initiate a
kill-file. Haven't a clue, but it seems a sad necessity.
Much appreciated.
Tony Hoskins
What software are you using?
Bob.
Diana Gale Matthiesen
2006-08-17 21:29:07 UTC
Most email software will allow you to establish "rules" (check your software's
"Tools" menu or search its "Help" menu). If you want to kill mail from a
particular person, create a "rule" that takes email from their address and
automatically deletes it. GENMEDIEVAL appears to maintain the address of the
original sender, so it should work (some mailing list software converts all
sender addresses into the list address, making it harder to create a solution).

My email host also gives me a solution at the server level, so anything from a
specified address (or entire domain) gets jettisoned at the server, without my
ever seeing it -- I LOVE that feature!
2006-08-17 23:44:02 UTC
Post by Tony Hoskins
Wonder if someone would kindly let me know just how to initiate a
kill-file. Haven't a clue, but it seems a sad necessity.
Much appreciated.
Dear Tony: How to do this, technically, is specific to whatever software
you use either to read the messages as e-mails from the rootsweb list
server, or as Usenet newsgroup messages. Either way, one feature I use
to filter out useless material, is to kill any message (i.e. 'mark as
read' or 'send to trash') in which the 'newsgroups' header contains a
comma--that is, any message which is crossposted to the Usenet group
soc.genealogy.medieval as well as one or more other Usenet groups (since
they must be separated by commas in the 'newsgroups' header). This
filters out almost everything posted by, *and in response to*, one of
our most predictable off-topic crossposting trolls--and his justifiable,
if rude, legion of assailants.

Nat Taylor
http://www.nltaylor.net
Tony Hoskins
2006-08-18 00:06:14 UTC
Dear Nat, Tim, and Diana,

Many thanks for the information on eliminating the insupportable online
static. Ah, *peace restored*!

Much obliged.

Tony