Sheraton/De Schurueton of Co Durham
J W Knight
2020-08-24 19:58:56 UTC
Hello everyone,

I am trying to make sense of a pedigree of the Sheraton (or De Schurueton and variants) family of Co Durham, which is presented in the "Authenticated Genealogical Annotations from the Durham Records" by Dr George Robert Sheraton, of which I own a copy.

In the book Sheraton presents various original documents from the Durham records in connection with the Sheraton family but gives no context to the records or make any attempt to translate many of the documents into English. This makes it difficult to understand then how he constructs a pedigree at the beginning of the book from Bishop Aldhun of Durham (d. 1018/19) down to himself.

I wish I could post an image of the pedigree, but this is the essence of it.

Bishop Aldhun of Durham (d. 1018/19)

Eeigfrida, m. Kilvert

Segrida, m. Arkil

Burnolf (along with other issue Cospatric, William and Aelsi)

Stephen

Thomas de Schurueton

Walter de Shurueton

John de Schurueton

Stephen de Schurueton

Cuthbert de Schuruton

John de Schuruton

Robert de Schuruton, m. Cecilia

John de Schurueton, m. Alice

Stephen de Schurueton

William Sheraton, d. 1586

William Sheraton, d. 1614

etc...

The line from below William Sheraton (d. 1586) is fine, I have been able to construct it myself from information found in his will, but everything above him I am struggling to make sense of how he reached these conclusions. I can find very little information about the Sheraton family of Durham anywhere else, I don't believe they were particularly prominent.

Has anyone else come across this family, or know anything of the alleged descent from Bishop Aldhun?

Thanks so much

Jack Knight
taf
2020-08-25 01:12:03 UTC
Post by J W Knight
[...]
. . .
Post by J W Knight
Has anyone else come across this family, or know anything of the alleged descent from Bishop Aldhun?
I would be extremely skeptical of the connection to Bishop Aldhun. The early part of the pedigree is taken from De obsessione Dunelmi, which describes the marriage of the daughter of Aldhun named Ecgfrith to Uchtred, who after receiving the benefits of the marriage set her aside and remarried, and she in turn remarried to Kilvert, Ligulf's son, and by him had a daughter Sigrid, who married Arkil son of (a different) Ecgfrith, by him having a son Cospatric, who married the daughter of Dolfin Torfinssson, and had (another) Cospatric, 'who recently fought with Waltheof son of Eilsi.'

The Burnolf of your pedigree seems to have been added in as brother of the elder Cospatric. The name 'William', supposedly of another brother, would be completely out of place in this onomastic context, and I have to wonder if brothers "William and Aelsi" isn't a very confused rendering of Waltheof son of Eilsi, the antagonist of the younger Cospatric. [One could hypothesize that there was a brother Eilsi and hence Waltheof and the younger Cospatric were first cousins, but De obsessione Dunelmi is a genealogical accounting of the land-struggles of these interwoven Northumbrian families, and it would certainly have indicated this relationship had it been the case - it refers to 'Eilsi of Teise' solely as a husband of Ecgfrith, daughter of AEthelthrith, daughter of Eldred, son of Uchtred and Ecgfrith, and hence representing a distinct, competing branch of Aldhun's descendants from young Cospatric.]

There is every reason to think that the linkage between the De obsessione Dunelmi family and the later Schuruetons was simply invented.

taf
J W Knight
2020-08-27 12:40:53 UTC

Post by J W Knight
[...]
Thank you very much for your insight.

Books of this kind written in the 19th/early 20th century seem to be littered with invention and wishful thinking, as I thought that link is almost certainly false.

I still have no idea how the author links all of the different Sheraton/De Schuereton's together, I will have to look into this further.

Jack
taf
2020-08-27 22:19:02 UTC
Post by J W Knight
I wish I could post an image of the pedigree, but this is the essence of it.
As a followup, this pedigree has too few generations, covering 570 years with just 14 generations. That's over 40 years per generation, and while one occasionally sees such long spans, to have the years-per-generation be this large over this number of generations is highly improbable.

Some dates can be filled in from George Robert Sheraton, Authenticated Genealogical Annotations from the Durham Records:

https://books.google.com/books?id=2jkRAQAAIAAJ
Post by J W Knight
Bishop Aldhun of Durham (d. 1018/19)

Eeigfrida, m. Kilvert

Segrida, m. Arkil

Burnolf (along with other issue Cospatric, William and Aelsi)

Stephen

Thomas de Schurueton

Walter de Shurueton

John de Schurueton

Stephen de Schurueton
ipm 1318 names son Cuthbert as son and heir - this gives us 8 generations, 300 years, or 37.5 ypg, likewise improbably long (and Aldhun was a very old man when he died, so this is likely an underestimate)
Post by J W Knight

Cuthbert de Schuruton

John de Schuruton

Robert de Schuruton, m. Cecilia
widow fl. 1398
Post by J W Knight

John de Schurueton, m. Alice
fl. 1398
Post by J W Knight

Stephen de Schurueton

William Sheraton, d. 1586
From Robert, this gives us 3 generations to span just under 200 years - 64 or more ypg
Post by J W Knight

William Sheraton, d. 1614

etc...
So, while we have already discussed the apparent invention of the early part of the pedigree, there is clearly a flaw between the 14th and 16th century parts, almost certainly between William Sheraton, d. 1586 and Stephen de Schurueton, whose archaic surname form would be out of place in the mid-to-late 16th century but much more reasonable for the early 15th century. Looks to me like William Sheraton was the earliest authentic generation, before someone got inventive.

2020-08-29 02:07:01 UTC
Post by J W Knight

Cuthbert de Schuruton

John de Schuruton

Robert de Schuruton, m. Cecilia
widow fl. 1398
Post by J W Knight

John de Schurueton, m. Alice
fl. 1398
I forgot to comment on this part of the pedigree. The chronology is sound - 3 generations from Stephen to Robert, about 80 years, or an average of about 27 ypg. However, there is one reason for concern. We have a published source from 1318 that shows Cuthbert as heir of Stephen, and we have another from 1398 that names John as son and heir of 'Robert son of John' and his widow Cecilia. The concern here is that there is no information not found in these two documents, and thus it is possible that the compiler has taken the only two documents they have and made a descent by simply splicing the two mini-pedigrees from the 1318 and 1398 documents together, without any direct evidence that the elder John was son of Cuthbert.