Clue to family connections of Wolston Childe
Add Reply
r***@yahoo.com
2018-11-05 17:13:55 UTC
Although many websites give the parentage of Wolston Childe, husband of Ellen, I see no real proof of the assertions they make. Wolston and Ellen were the parents of Ephraim Childe, who came to New England, and the grandparents of two other American immigrants.

There is a 1601 marriage of Nicholas Louthe to Alice Childe at St. Helen, Bishopsgate.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5TUEAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA120&dq=%22nicholas+louthe%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE4eeN4bHeAhXJ6lMKHQ5qDxYQ6AEILzAB#v=onepage&q=%22nicholas%20louthe%22&f=false

Two years later, Nicholas Lowthe's 1603 will leaves to the "[c]hildren of sister Child, viz., Nathaniel, Benjamin, Ephraim, Joshua, and Elizabeth."

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=iau.31858002755787;view=1up;seq=211

Nicholas' will mentions his brother Edmond Lowth. The will of this same Edmond "Loweth" occurs in the same set of Surrey archdioconal wills (Herringman register).

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=iau.31858002755787;view=1up;seq=208

Notice that Edmond mentions "sister-in-law Alice Loweth."

I guess this means that Wolston Childe at least had a sister named Alice Childe (married Nicholas Louthe/ Lowthe).
r***@yahoo.com
2018-11-05 17:59:46 UTC
Wolston Childe was an ancestor of Queen Elizabeth and her family, as the Queen Mother descended from Benjamin Childe in the list of children above.

https://books.google.com/books?id=OTvRAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA51&dq=%22benjamin+childe%22+sarah&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdle7P6b3eAhXGulMKHUBYAqMQ6AEIQTAE#v=onepage&q=%22benjamin%20childe%22%20sarah&f=false

Were these Bradshaws related to the John Bradshaw who married Ellen (Empson) Childe's sister?
r***@yahoo.com
2018-11-05 21:26:53 UTC
A contemporary reference to Wolston Childe in the Cecil/ Salisbury papers ...

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015066349195;view=1up;seq=144

Might be something new.