Magna Carta Gateway Ancestor Charles Barnes...
Liz (Noland) Shifflett
2019-05-10 22:51:55 UTC
Charles Barnes is listed in a lot of the footnotes as a Gateway Ancestor in Douglas Richardson's Magna Carta Ancestry but he's not in the list of gateways in the front matter of either Magna Carta Ancestry or Royal Ancestry. Was he removed as a gateway from the list intentionally but left in the footnotes by accident or was he accidentally dropped from the list (if that were the case though, I'd still expect to find him elsewhere in the books but I didn't).

Thanks!
j***@gmail.com
2019-05-10 23:32:26 UTC
The much more recent work by Douglas Richardson, entitled "Royal Ancestry" also does not list Charles Barnes in the table of contents tents but a footnote (vol ii, p 474) states that Charles Barnes of East Hampton,L.I had paternal grandparents Dorotht Drury and Edward Barnes. It then traces Dorothy's ancestry to William the Conqueror with sources.

It's not clear why he is omitted from the table of contents.
Darrell E. Larocque
2021-10-26 23:42:27 UTC
Post by Liz (Noland) Shifflett
Charles Barnes is listed in a lot of the footnotes as a Gateway Ancestor in Douglas Richardson's Magna Carta Ancestry but he's not in the list of gateways in the front matter of either Magna Carta Ancestry or Royal Ancestry. Was he removed as a gateway from the list intentionally but left in the footnotes by accident or was he accidentally dropped from the list (if that were the case though, I'd still expect to find him elsewhere in the books but I didn't).
Thanks!
I just saw this and I wish to thank you all for this due diligence in finding out more about my Gateway Ancestor Charles Barnes. All of the work that I have been putting in accurately sourcing this line has given me a greater appreciation for the work others have put in to get to this point and the amazing lineage that I have as I go in depth for each ancestor along the way. It's the love of the research and the past that keeps me going and not just titles and this quest reminds me of that all the time!

Darrell