Fernão Dias de Barros
Paulo Ricardo Canedo
2020-07-01 21:36:53 UTC
Felgueiras Gayo, an important Portuguese genealogist of the late 18th century and early 19th century, made Fernão Dias de Barros, male line ancestor of 16th century historian João de Barros, a bastard son of Diego López III de Haro. He said that he moved to Portugal because he committed a crime and adopted the surname Barros because of his association with a place of that name.
In your opinion, is this connection true or a myth?
Paulo Ricardo Canedo
2020-07-02 22:03:38 UTC
Dear Todd, does Salazar y Castro's work on the Haros include this connection? Regardless, what do you think of it?
taf
2020-07-02 22:46:35 UTC
Post by Paulo Ricardo Canedo
Dear Todd, does Salazar y Castro's work on the Haros include this connection? Regardless, what do you think of it?
As I mentioned in the other thread, I haven't had access to the book since the 1990s (and even then, only to one volume, not the whole thing). You will need to go through his manuscript online (if it is online) to find out.

Otherwise, I am completely unfamiliar with this.
Paulo Ricardo Canedo
However, would you take this with a mine of salt? You have previously said that pre-20th century Iberian genealogy must be taken that way, especially those fantastic connections.
Paulo Ricardo Canedo
2020-07-02 23:34:09 UTC
More generally, I suspect you deal more with Spanish genealogy than with Portuguese genealogy, but what do you think of Felgueiras Gayo's work in general?
taf
2020-07-03 02:23:55 UTC
Post by Paulo Ricardo Canedo
More generally, I suspect you deal more with Spanish genealogy than with Portuguese genealogy, but what do you think of Felgueiras Gayo's work in general?
Never had the opportunity to consult it, so I have no opinion.

taf
2020-07-03 02:23:14 UTC
Post by taf
Post by Paulo Ricardo Canedo
Dear Todd, does Salazar y Castro's work on the Haros include this connection? Regardless, what do you think of it?
As I mentioned in the other thread, I haven't had access to the book since the 1990s (and even then, only to one volume, not the whole thing). You will need to go through his manuscript online (if it is online) to find out.
Otherwise, I am completely unfamiliar with this.
Ok.
However, would you take this with a mine of salt? You have previously said that pre-20th century Iberian genealogy must be taken that way, especially those fantastic connections.
Without any further information, yes, any 'fantastic' connection that is based on a 19th century source should be treated as dubious unless/until supporting evidence is found.