Portuguese problem
Leo
2012-04-17 06:21:19 UTC
I think for many non-portuguese people early Portuguese families are not easy to establish. Especially when dates are confusing or lacking.

Fromarigo Guterres, senhor de Melo was born in 985

Pero Fromarigues, senhor de Melo

Fernao Peres, senhor de Melo died 1178 and was married to Usco/Unisco de Lanhoso
If his granfather and father fathered at an old age, it still seems doubtful or better impossible

Martim Fernandes he marred Estevainha Soares de Silva who had been a mistress of Sancho II king of Portugal, and this, time wise, also seems pretty wrong.

Sancho II was born in 1207 and you would expect that a mistress would be younger (not necessaily, of course). But for Estevainha after the affaire to marry and have a father in law who had died in 1178? This would make her husband Martim Fernandes very much older that she was as he would have to be born in or before 1178 and she after (?) 1207.

Can anyone help?

With many thanks

Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia
.
vizoi...@gmail.com
2023-03-07 17:23:01 UTC
Post by Leo
[...]
As this message is more than 10 years old, I think you have already found the solution, but in doubt, and for other readers, we can clarify that Estevanhia Soares da Silva was not Sancho II's mistress but rather his " ama", his nurse as a young prince.
I don't know of any other alliance for her than with Martim Fernandes "de Riba de Vizela".
Note that at that time, this lineage (and this branch) was not yet called Melo, it seems to me.