More on William Alston, gent., supposed father of John Alston of South Carolina
ravinma...@yahoo.com
2021-05-27 21:39:35 UTC
Doug's _Plantagenet Ancestry_ gives support for this link, stating in a footnote:

"William Alston, Gent., of Middlesex, son of John Alston, Esq., and Dorothy Temple above, was baptized at Odell, Bedfordshire 13 Aug. 1637. He was admitted a student at St. John's College, Cambridge in 1654. He married Thomasine Brooks, daughter of ____ Brooks, Esq., by whom he had two sons recorded at Pavenham, Bedfordshire: Wiliam, baptized 1666, and John, baptized 25 Feb. 1668/9. The younger, John Alston, baptized in 1668/9, was apprenticed in 1682 to James Jones, of Charleston, South Carolina, merchant, and subsequently immigrated to America. ...

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Plantagenet_Ancestry_A_Study_In_Colonial/kjme027UeagC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=pavenham+brook+alstone&pg=PA185&printsec=frontcover

I've noticed a detailed blog entry on the Alston family that gives many more details of William Alston the father, including further on his profession, and his date of death:

"(2) twin, William Alston (1637-1708), baptised 13 August 1637; educated at St John's College, Cambridge (admitted 1654) and Inner Temple (admitted 1654; called to bar, 1662); barrister-at-law; married 1st, 16 October 1664, Thomasine Brooke (1643-69) and had issue two sons and one daughter, and 2nd, Sarah Lancaster (d. 1714); died 14 and was buried 16 November 1708 at Pavenham;"

https://landedfamilies.blogspot.com/2014/03/117-alston-of-odell-castle-baronets.html

Possibly a will around 1708 or 1709 should be sought.
ravinma...@yahoo.com
2021-05-27 22:05:31 UTC
[...]
This other website has some seemingly good information, including that Thomasine was "one of the daughters of William Brooke of the city of Norwich, gent.," ...

http://www.thekingscandlesticks.com/webs/pedigrees/3094.html

It gives a different surname for Sarah, the second wife of William Alston.
ravinma...@yahoo.com
2021-05-28 13:48:50 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com
[...]
The Carolina immigrant is firmly linked as son to William Alston of Hammersmith, Middlesex. I guess the question is ... why is William Alston of Pavenham, Bedfordshire, likely to be the same person as the man of Hammersmith, Middlesex?

However, if you accept the connection, at least more can now be known about Thomasine Brooke, wife of William Alston of Pavenham. King's Candlesticks website gives:

Will of William Brooke. 4 October 1659.

In the name of God Amen the fourth day of October in the year of our Lord God one thousand six hundred fifty and nine I William Brooke of the parish of St Swithins in the City of Norwich gent being sick and weak in body but of sound and perfect memory .... I here give and bequeath unto my daughter Thomasine Brooke at her age of one and twenty years all the [ferny feney ?] lands, messuages and tenements and hereditaments whatsoever both free and copyhold with their [appurtenances lying and being in Welborne in the county of Norfolk or in any other town or towns there near adjoining now in the several occupations of William Chapman William Wake or Francis Chacker or of any of them or of any of their assigns As also all those my lands messuages tenements and hereditaments with their appurtenances lying and being in Kimberley and the towns there adjoining in the County of Norfolk which I late purchased of Richard Freeman and are now in the occupation of the widow Read or her assigns to have and to hold to her my said daughter Thomasine and her heirs for ever ...

WILL OF THOMASINE BROOKE

In the name of God Amen. The one and twentieth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred seventy and six I Thomasina Brooke of the City of Norwich widow being weak in body but having my mind and memory ... And my will and mind is that my son Jeremy Brooke shall take the full care and charge of my grand child William Alston for his education and maintenance until he shall have attained unto his age of fourteen years if William Alston father of the said William Alston shall for long live and if the said William Alston my son shall be dead before my grand child William Alston shall have attained his age of fourteen years that I do give unto my said grand child Wm Alston when he shall have attained unto his said age of fourteen years the sum of fifty pounds of lawful money of England to be paid to him by my said son Jeremy Brooke in or at the [Gayte alle] [ is this the name of a site in Norwich?] porch of the City of Norwich but if my said son William Alston shall be living at the time that my said grand child shall have attained unto his said age of fourteen years then I do will that my said son Jeremy Brooke shall pay unto my said grandchild William Alston when he shall have attained the said age of fourteen years the sum of one hundred pounds for the putting him out on apprentice for the time and the term of seven years and if my said son Wm Alston shall be living when my said grand child William Alston have attained unto his age of one and twenty years then my will is and I doe bequeath unto my said grand child William Alston the sum of twenty pounds a year to be paid him by my said son Jeremy Brooke half yearly from and after he shall have attained unto his age of one and twenty years until the day of the death of the said William Alston my son or the day of marriage of the said William Alston my grand child which shall first and next happen after my decease and my will is that my said son Jeremy Brooke shall enter a bond to the said William Alston my grand child in the penalty of two hundred pounds for the performance of this my bequest to give Item I do give and bequeath unto my grand child John Alston the son of my daughter Thomasine Alston the sum of fifty pounds of lawful money of England when he shall have attained unto his age of fourteen years Item I do give and bequest unto my grand childe Thomasine Alston the daughter of the said Thomasine Alston my daughter the sum of fifty pounds of lawful money of England when she shall have attained unto her age of fourteen years both which last mentioned legacies to be paid by my said son Jeremy Brooke But my will and mind is that if the said William John and Thomasine Alston my grandchildren shall die and depart this life before they shall have attained unto their respective ages of fourteen years then the legacy or bequest of him or her or them for dyeing shall cease and be void And my will is that my said son Jeremy Brooke shall enter a bond to the said John and Thomasine Alston for the payment of the said fifty pounds a piece to them according to the true intent and meaning of this my last will ...

Thomasine doesn't sound too sure about the status of her son-in-law Alston, does she?