Sons of Saier de Quincy
Add Reply
Eric Kniffin
2019-10-03 10:27:50 UTC
Has it been 18 years since the last post here? Hehe. Is anyone aware of any new information on the brothers Robert? I'm just doing the Welsh folks on my tree, and Elen ferch Llwyelyn married Robert de Quincy. As it says in this thread, it would seem Saer de Quincy and Margaret had two sons named Robert. The first married Hawise of Chester, and died by 1217. The second - likely born after the first died - married Elen, and died 1257. I've looked at various sites, and don't see anything suggesting this is not the case. OTOH, as it says here:
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISH%20NOBILITY%20MEDIEVAL2.htm#RobertQuincydied1217
"The Complete Peerage names him as younger brother of Roger de Quincy Earl of Winchester but does not cite the corresponding source[111]. The primary source which confirms his parentage has not yet been identified."
So I guess there's room for error?
Peter Stewart
2019-10-03 23:18:42 UTC
Post by Eric Kniffin
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISH%20NOBILITY%20MEDIEVAL2.htm#RobertQuincydied1217
"The Complete Peerage names him as younger brother of Roger de Quincy Earl of Winchester but does not cite the corresponding source[111]. The primary source which confirms his parentage has not yet been identified."
So I guess there's room for error?
I think you will find that Gen-Med discussion ca 2002 gave more
information - as I recall, the younger Robert was of age when his father
died in 1219 and consequently must have been born well before the death
of the elder Robert in 1217.

There is an article by Doris Grace Roth that you may find useful,
'Robert de Quincy, eldest son of the first earl of Winchester' in *The
Genealogist* vol. 5 (1984).

Peter Stewart
Eric Kniffin
2019-10-04 02:06:45 UTC
I think you will find that Gen-Med discussion ca 2002 gave more
information - as I recall, the younger Robert was of age when his father
died in 1219 and consequently must have been born well before the death
of the elder Robert in 1217.
There is an article by Doris Grace Roth that you may find useful,
'Robert de Quincy, eldest son of the first earl of Winchester' in *The
Genealogist* vol. 5 (1984).
Peter Stewart
Thanks! Not finding that article online, yet, but I'll keep looking.

Hmm.. I see your name at fmg.ac. I assume that's you, not a different Peter Stewart?

I'm not