White Family of Philadelphia and Maryland, and their possible Hobson Lines
Add Reply
Johnny Brananas
2021-07-07 14:31:46 UTC
Over the years I've been highly interested in a book on the White family at Caldecote and Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, who had descendants at Philadelphia and other places in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Their American descendants include the wife of Declaration-signer Robert Morris ("the Financier"), William White, Bishop of Pennsylvania, and some members of the current Berwind family behind the coal-pharmaceutical-chemical concern of that name.

One of the reasons I like the book is the detailed genealogical chart of English ancestry. The connection seems to be proved by William White, the future Bishop, mentioning a trip to England around 1770 during which
he journeyed to Twickenham to see two surviving aunts, formerly the White sisters: "One of the sisters, Mrs. Midwinter, died within a year of my going to England. I was received by the survivors, Mrs. White and Mrs. Weeks, as a son."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Church_Review/RbwwAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=twickenham+aunts+midwinter&pg=PA356&printsec=frontcover

"Mrs. White" was a maiden lady, and here given the honorific title of "Mistress," which does not indicate she was married. The will of Sarah (White) Midwinter mentions her brother Thomas of Philadelphia, thereby proving the connection to America:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Account_of_the_meeting_of_the_descendant/c5UNAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=twickenham+sarah+midwinter&pg=PA122&printsec=frontcover

The large genealogical chart, while interesting, is a bit flawed. Take a look at the ancestor William White (d. 1676) who is shown with two wives, (1) Catherine Best, and (2) Anne (Sanders) Juxon, on the fold-out chart between pp. 124-25 (he is right on the crease):

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Account_of_the_meeting_of_the_descendant/c5UNAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22downes%20his%20wife%22

This man, William White, haberdasher of London, who died in 1676, did have a second wife Anne, but I think his first wife, or at least the mother of his children, was actually Rebecca Hobson, daughter of William Hobson, haberdasher of Hackney, whose will of 1661 mentions the six children of his deceased daughter Rebecca, wife of William White. He also mentions his daughter Sarah, the wife of "Jesper" [Jasper] White. Consult the large chart, and you'll see clearly that William White (d. 1676) had a brother named Jasper White, said there to have married a wife Sarah.

I think this was the White brothers marrying the two Hobson sisters. Notice that Jasper White had a daughter Rose, which was the name of haberdasher William Hobson's wife, identified as Rose Franklin of co. Middlesex in the 1635 London Visitation.

I don't find a clear marriage record for William White and Rebecca, though something dated 6 Aug. 1641 at Hackney shows up on IGI batch (I03553-9), without providing the wife's name. Jasper White and Sarah Hobson were married 22 June 1649 at St. Bartholomew the Less (per IGI Batch I02266-5).

William Hobson's will:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_New_England_Historical_and_Genealogi/Jj8rDwmlYtgC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22the+wife+of+jesper+white%22&pg=PA161&printsec=frontcover

William Hobson's will also mentions "grandson William White," who would presumably be the oldest son of William and Rebecca (Hobson) White.

William Hobson's daughter Rose (Hobson) Disborowe's will of 1698 mentions her "nephew Mr. William White the elder" [who died 1709] and another "Mr. William White the younger" who is the son of the "elder" (also died around 1708/9, see chart).

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_New_England_Historical_and_Genealogi/Jj8rDwmlYtgC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=rose+hobson+nephew+william+white&pg=PA160&printsec=frontcover

What is most suggestive of this Hobson descent is Rose (Hobson) Disborowe's mention in her will of her "nephew Mr. Samuel Browne and niece Mrs. Elizabeth Browne." Check the chart in the book and notice that William White, haberdasher, d. 1676, had a daughter Elizabeth White who married [1st] George Saunders (who died 1694/5) and [2nd] to a Samuel Browne who later administered her estate.
Johnny Brananas
2021-07-07 15:42:12 UTC
[...]
The aunt Rose's entire string of names was Rose (Hobson) (Lascell) (Pennoyer) Disborowe/ Desborowe.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Essex_Institute_Historical_Collections/ZPgWAAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=rose+lacell+pennoyer&pg=PA135&printsec=frontcover